Yorkshire

NightStock

Visit site
So my partner is arranging a trip to Yorkshire for me in the early summer as a late birthday present. From reading James Herriot as a child, I have always wanted to visit, however other than a vague idea of seeing the countryside and spending a day in York I'm not sure of any must sees?

We like walking, history and seeing wildlife/spending time in nature, so any suggestions?

Thanks

Roxylola

Visit site
Yorkshire is big and lots of variety, would you like hills(got big and small)? Sea? Towns? Shopping? History? Markets?
I grew up on the edge of the dales so I'm fairly familiar with a lot of it. Although the lakes and dales all sort of blends for me

twobearsarthur

Visit site
The Bronte parsonage museum if you feel like channeling your Wuthering Heights.
Robin Hoods bay definitely
Whitby for some Bram Stokers Dracula vibes.
The Yorkshire sculpture park - I’m not sure if Damien Hirst’s deconstructed unicorn is in display there.
All of The Dales.
man’s if you’re a fan of James Herriot. There are All creatures great and small tours.

rabatsa

Far from the madding crowd
Visit site
You can do several days in York itself visiting the historic places such as The Yorvik centre, The Merchant Adventurers Hall, Cliffords Tower. If you start with museums then there is the National Railways Museum, Yorkshire air museum, Eden camp, Murton Park farming museum. Country houses include Castle Howard, Harewood House, Burton Constable, Ripley Castle. Ruins include Scarborough castle, Fountains Abbey, Harewood Castle, Rievaulx Abbey. There is a lot of county to see.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Loads of Museums in York, The Castle Museum and Yorvik stand out for me, as the trace the history of the city.

If you go to the Yorkshire Sculpture Park, near Wakefield, you should also go to The National Mining Museum, which is only a few miles away and there's the Hepworth Gallery in Wakefield itself.

Middleham is where the racing stables mostly are, you could easily explore the town if you go to Thirsk.

You could spend a month here and still have more to see.

Widgeon

Visit site
Yorkshire is big and lots of variety, would you like hills(got big and small)? Sea? Towns? Shopping? History? Markets?
I grew up on the edge of the dales so I'm fairly familiar with a lot of it. Although the lakes and dales all sort of blends for me

Mmm, do you mean North Yorkshire? If you like James Herriot take a trip up to the top of Sutton Bank (you can park in the visitor centre car park there, although it gets busy in summer) then follow the Cleveland Way North towards Boltby. Apparently the view off the bank was the author's favourite. It is certainly lovely, and there's a fantastic big grass field for a gallop just South of Sneck Yate Bank. Keep going North and you'll get to High Paradise Farm which is a very nice tearoom (they also have paddocks so you can ride there and turn your horse out while you eat scones). All these things are also enjoyable on foot.....!!

The Moors is my favourite place of anywhere in the world I think, I could bang on about them all day. Bring on summer!

Middleham has an open day that lots of the racing yards take part in, I think it's in late April this year - https://www.middlehamopenday.co.uk/visitor-information/. Indepent of that, I have a feeling there are also a few people linked to the industry who will take you on a tour of a couple of yards and to see the horses working on the gallops, before having tea and cake in one of the hotels - http://www.middlehamracingtours.co.uk/packages.html.

Edited to add, apologies if your partner is not horsey...

Widgeon

Visit site
If you do go up to Castle Howard have a look at the Yorkshire Arboretum as well, it's just over the road from Castle Howard and (I think) is nicer for a good scenic potter about. Castle Howard is impressively large but it gets *very* busy in nice weather, and it's expensive. The arboretum is cheaper and more beautiful (I prefer trees to whacking great houses) and they have excellent coffee.

On the coast, Staithes is extremely beautiful (go down to the bottom and visit the little RNLI shop) and doesn't get quite as busy as the bigger places. IMO Whitby is sadly turning into a bit of a dive, last time we tried to go for a quiet afternoon pint there after a walk a bar fight errupted arond us and the bouncers (yes there were bouncers) had to sling a few blokes out through the front door.

The Yorkshire Air Museum at Elvington is good fun, you can climb in the planes (why would anyone bother with an air museum where you CAN'T do that, haha).

Merrymoles

Visit site
Brimham Rocks near Harrogate - owned by the National Trust and full of weird and wonderful rock formations. Usually fairly quiet midweek and close to Pateley Bridge which is a pretty town and a scenic drive from Grassington via Greenhow, which has the quirky Coldstones Cut for a look over the quarry and fantastic views for miles around. Mind you, I am massively biased as we used to live at Brimham and I adored it!

Helmsley is another nice town with a good castle and close to Sutton Bank which Widgeon has talked about and to Rievaulx Abbey.

Malham Cove is also worth seeing but can get quite busy. The nearest big town to it is Skipton, which has a scenic canal and another good castle.

You really will be spoilt for choice - it's a big area and has an awful lot to offer.

ETA - in terms of seaside, my personal favourites are Runswick Bay, although it can be tricky to park (tiny car park) or Filey, absolutely massive car park at the Country Park and then walk to the beach and Filey Brig (check the tide times) or into town.

meleeka

Visit site

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
The World of James Herriot museum in Thirsk is well worth a visit if you are a fan of his books. It's in the original veterinary surgery building, and has been beautifully laid out with a lot of input from Alf Wight's vet surgeon son, who lived there as a child. It's not at all twee.

https://worldofjamesherriot.com/

That's a half day, then as others say drive up nearby Sutton Bank for walks and superb views. We took our bikes. We had parked the motorhome overnight at Thirsk Racecourse.

YorkshireLady

Visit site
I think people have mainly stated the main places.....I would add

Bolton Abbey - between Ilkley and Skipton...try not to go on a bank hol or a summer Sunday as will be packed. Gorgeous site and walks and good cafes. Drive then on to the red lion pub at Burnsall.

Skipton is worth a visit - and its Castle

Ilkley is def worth a visit as well. We are now in West Yorkshire that is v near N yorkshire! You need to climb up to the cow and calf rocks....also visit The Hermit Pub in Burghley woodhead some of the best views ever... https://www.hermitinn.com/

If you can face treading into the outskirts of Bradford then visit Salts Mill in Saltaire. Fab cafe...great Hockney art

Last - and there is so much more I could add...what about the Keithley and Worth Valley Railway - home of the original Railway Children

https://kwvr.co.uk/

Visit site
I am a Londoner and lived in Yorkshire for 18 months. I hated every second of it, from the people to the surroundings and the country side did nothing for me as it was no different from where I am am on the edge of Epping any way. Scarborough was the mankiest coastal town I've been been to. Devon and the moors are far better and the beaches in Devon with the cliffs you can really imagine the Dinosaurs still walking there.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
We went to Whitby by steam. I loved York, fabulous place. I can't wait to visit again. Steeped in history.

My parents go regularly to the dales-Wharfedale is one of their favourite spots for walking.

Petmurf

Visit site
I am a Londoner and lived in Yorkshire for 18 months. I hated every second of it, from the people to the surroundings and the country side did nothing for me as it was no different from where I am am on the edge of Epping any way. Scarborough was the mankiest coastal town I've been been to. Devon and the moors are far better and the beaches in Devon with the cliffs you can really imagine the Dinosaurs still walking there.

I am a Londoner who has lived in Yorkshire for 18 years and I absolutely love it, from the people to the countryside, the cities, the slower pace of life. I would never live in London again. I live in the Pennines and it’s nothing like the countryside around Epping.

Visit site
I am a Londoner who has lived in Yorkshire for 18 years and I absolutely love it, from the people to the countryside, the cities, the slower pace of life. I would never live in London again. I live in the Pennines and it’s nothing like the countryside around Epping.
I don't much like people, especially those who do everything slow, you clearly haven't been to Epping or anywhere around here in all those years. There is a reason London is so highly regarded globally and York is not remotely comparable. I have no interest in people I vaguely know thinking they know me or all about me like the majority of northerns there did. Everything around here is far superior to anything there

Birker2020

Visit site
So my partner is arranging a trip to Yorkshire for me in the early summer as a late birthday present. From reading James Herriot as a child, I have always wanted to visit, however other than a vague idea of seeing the countryside and spending a day in York I'm not sure of any must sees?

We like walking, history and seeing wildlife/spending time in nature, so any suggestions?

Thanks
Following with interest as we are thinking about going in September

Petmurf

Visit site
I don't much like people, especially those who do everything slow, you clearly haven't been to Epping or anywhere around here in all those years. There is a reason London is so highly regarded globally and York is not remotely comparable. I have no interest in people I vaguely know thinking they know me or all about me like the majority of northerns there did. Everything around here is far superior to anything there

Well if you had that attitude when you were up here then I’m not surprised you didn’t like it as I assume not many people liked you.

My parents live 2 junctions from the Epping junction on the M25 so I have and do spend a lot of time down there.

View

Visit site

i agree that York and London are not comparable, but I’d rather be in York. I live close to Epping, and I hope I don’t come across you (mind you, I suspect the feeling is mutual).

The landscape and scenery around York and in Yorkshire are very different to that around Epping and, in my opinion, York and Yorkshire offer far more.

Visit site
i agree that York and London are not comparable, but I’d rather be in York. I live close to Epping, and I hope I don’t come across you (mind you, I suspect the feeling is mutual).

The landscape and scenery around York and in Yorkshire are very different to that around Epping and, in my opinion, York and Yorkshire offer far more.
I don't agree. York and Yorkshire is slow and boring. You won't come across me and if you did I would spare you no time anyway. I can spot those I have no interest in a mile off. So yes incredibly mutual. London is far superior to York

blitznbobs

Visit site
Fountains abbey, harrogate is pretty, are you a foody townie or walkie? All are options in yorkshire

Eta just read your post properly OP Fountains Abbey is truely a beautiful ruin and even if you are not religious(i am not) it has an overwhelming feeling of peace… and plenty of wildlife too.

Last edited:

blitznbobs

Visit site
I don't agree. York and Yorkshire is slow and boring. You won't come across me and if you did I would spare you no time anyway. I can spot those I have no interest in a mile off. So yes incredibly mutual. London is far superior to York
Whereabout in london do you frequent - i visit london regularly but need to avoid some parts apparently.

paddy555

Visit site

I can see why you and Yorkshire didn't quite hit it off. Fortunately I haven't been to Epping or anywhere around there as I suspect I would hate it. I lived in Yorkshire for 18 years so I know most of it. I now live on the moors in Devon which you like so much. There is very little difference between them and the N York Moors. Just a bit warmer down here. However there is a very big difference in the people. The Yorks ones, especially the West Riding ones were a lot more friendly. I noticed that immediately I moved down here.

Hackback

Visit site
I'm a Yorkshire girl living in Yorkshire and I haven't been to all the places mentioned. Must try harder. My brother now lives in Swaledale, which is stunning. I personally prefer the North Yorkshire Moors to the Dales as I find them just a bit wilder and more open, but I'm only going from my hacking forays - I rarely visit anywhere unless its for the purpose of hacking these days.

The Wolds and the Howardian Hills are nice too, much gentler but very beautiful. Then there's the Peak District in South Yorkshire which is also amazing. Honestly you drive through the huge conurbation that is Sheffield and then suddenly you're out on the top of the moors in the middle of nowhere. The only downside of the Peak District is that everyone knows about it.

It's a huge county, it would be very difficult to see everything in one visit. I think I live in the only boring part - the Vale of York. Just very flat and samey.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site

It's a good job we are all different. I was born and initially brought up in London, and visit family there. I hate London.

I am a bit confused as to how you hate people, but would then prefer to live so close to so many?

A few differences between us (family in Yorkshire) and them (family in London)...

They don't say good morning when meeting people on the pavement (and are suspicious when other people do).
They stand too close for comfort when speaking (there is more space here, stand back!).
They say that can't sleep here as it is too dark and too quiet at night.
They seem to prefer to be out squashed with other people rather than a quiet night in.

This is all to the good though, as it means they can live in their preferred area, whilst we enjoy the dark, quiet, friendly people, stunning views, quiet nights in etc etc. They are welcome to their knife crime, noise, squashed conditions, pollution, bars etc.

As I said, it is good that we are all different.