You’re first horse

Horse2018

Visit site
What breed of horse was it , do you still own the horse, what age were you when you got your first horse. How old was the horse. Mine was a Irish sport horse mare 9 year old I still have her to these day I bought her when I was 18

teddypops

Visit site
Welsh Section C mare. I got her when we were both 6. Had to be pts age 33 as she started to struggle to get back up after lying down/ rolling.

FinnBobs

Visit site
I've still got mine. He's a 15.3hh over height registered Connemara gelding. I've owned him for 2 1/2 years and I got him aged 6 when I was 27. He was well worth the very long wait and he has taught and continues to teach me a lot!

abbijay

Visit site
Mine's a clydesdale. He came on loan 9 years ago and i ended up buying him, he was 6 and I was 25. He's still with me.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Still have mine too :), she was 12, 14.3 PBA, I was 16, she's now 26 and mostly retired.

60508674_1025766017609258_171572720725655552_n.jpg

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
My 1st one was in 1973, he was foaled in 69 on Exmoor. Fractured his shoulder in a fall when doing mounted games in 95 sadly.
He was a great allrounder, but a mainstay of the PPC teams, reaching zone finals 3 times! Not bad for a 12.2 exmoor pony :)

redapple

Visit site
I was 8 and she was a Gypsy cob off the side of the road. Not the best match size wise and amazing thinking back now that it wasn't a bogof situation! She was a 15hh ish coloured mare who was supposed to be in her teens but teeth made her a bit younger. I had her for 10 years until I went to university and she retired. She was pts when I was at uni which was devastating. I think about her most days even now (another 10 years later) she was an absolute dude and taught me a lot!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
mine was a 16,1 8 years old half tb who i bought from the riding school where i worked evenings and weekends as he was a bit too lively for them.. i was 21 and and had saved up ever since i started full time work, he was a bit of a character and hated all men, which was not good as the farriers were men so i had to take time off every 6 weeks so i could be there when he was shod..had him till he was 24 when he was pts as had trouble getting up and i couldnt risk him going down during the day and laying there till i came after work...

Bearsmum

Visit site
14.2hh NF x TB mare I bought from the riding school I helped at in the evenings & weekends, I was 16, she was 5 & had come to them from someone who trained circus horses, so could 'count' with her front leg - I didn't continue with this career with her though, she was a fabulous jumper we did lots of local SJ competitions. I sold her when my boyfriend(now husband of 32 years) & I wanted to buy a house, knew her owners & she had a happy long life; finally PTS aged 27 as old age had caught up with her

Gusbear

Was Richmond, Surrey now a mountain forest in Oz.
Visit site
My first horse was a 15.2hh Bay standard bred gelding. I was 14 years old. He was covered in scars, scabs amd in a bad way. I got him in 1980 as a 5 year old. He was skin and bones. I fed him up and did pony club and hacking out on him. Only had him for around 3 or so years then he sadly died from salmonella.
Lovely horse.

joosie

Visit site
My first pony was a 12.2 crossbred gelding called Mouse. I was 25 when I got him and he was 16 months old. I've had him 9 years now and he works in a riding school in France.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
15.2hh 5yo ISH that I managed to acquire when I was turning 15. She was very nappy - she wouldn't leave the yard alone and would throw herself and rider into the ground if you tried to make her, and she was also terrified of gates, so while you could lead her into an arena, you then couldn't get her near the gate end once on board. Hacking out with others she got herself into reary tizz if she wasn't at the front, but napped at random stuff when she was at the front, and was liable to kick other horses that were along side her. She wouldn't load, suffered terrible separation anxiety and had to go in a field on her own because she beat the living daylights out of other horses, seemingly just for kicks (pardon the pun)

The owner just wanted shot and I thought she was the best thing on four legs so I managed to persuade them to sell her to me for a £1. She became quite a smart competition horse (she was by Puissance so had a fair jump on her), and I built up a decent bsja record on her and a couple of runs BE, but I had to sell her when I was 18 to pay bills.

fankino04

Visit site
I was 14 when I got a 6 year old tb straight out of racing (Well she was turned away for a month and we bought her from the field). She epitomised all the negative things that people say about ex racers as she had been injured but not received treatment (rotated pelvis) and was very aggressive due to pain and bad treatment. It was a very long journey for us but she was my horse of a lifetime. I lost her when she was 19 and she broke her femur in a freak accident in the field.

ihatework

Visit site
As a younger teenager I started off on shares.
I had a 15.1hh Irish x type mare to start, then a 14.2hh ex pony racing Arab, then a 15.3hh TB.

As an older teenager I had full loans. One was a 15hh Welsh D x Anglo (who I wish I had a bit later in life, he was super) and one was a 15hh Tb type.

I bought my first with my student loan when finishing Uni. A Bonza horse off Matt Ryan, full TB, filtered cheap through a local dealer - needless to say that wasn’t a good buy 😜

TPO

Visit site
My first pony was a shitland called Flag. No idea how old he was, he was dumped in a field belonging to a family friend so I got to ride him. I think I was about 6 or 7. I dont think he was ever properly backed. I used to ride him in an rubber snaffle and felt race saddle. He used to tank off with me out hacking, dump me riding in the field and drag me along barbed wire fences. I loved the bones of him!

The first pony I owned was a family pony shared between me, my sister and my mum. She was a 13.3hh welshxtrotter who was approx 8 or 9 when we got her. I think I was the same age. Mum bred a foal from her to an arab stallion and I done some pony club things with her but mainly just careering about my grandma's farm playing "the saddle club" by myself or jumping all the unsafe "badminton" jumps I'd made out of whatever I could find lying around the farm <eek>. The big field muck heap from the cattle byre was my derby bank! Ha ha

We lost her in her late teens when she had a bad bought of lami and pedal bones sank. She had gotten into a cattle field and gorged on very rich and fertilised rye grass that put her off her feet. Tried to recover her, under vet supervision, but sadly wasnt to be.

Mahoganybay

Visit site
My first horse was gifted to me, a 14.2 New Forest X, she was 21 and I was 30 years old. She was just the perfect first horse, a good mixture of cheeky but safe, taught me and my daughter how to stay on a horse and we enjoyed so many good times together.

She loved until she was 32, after being retired for four years. She got a really large growth in her groin area which the vet suspected could be cancerous, it never gave her any trouble but unfortunately grew to a size that made walking difficult for her.

She managed fine, until one day I turned her out in her paddock, and when I came back a few hours later on my lunch break to check on her, she was in the same place. Vet was called, he came that afternoon and she went to sleep in my arms with a mouthful of grass.

oldie48

Visit site
This is the first first horse or pony we ever bought. A connie aged 5 by Templebready Fear Bui for my 7 year old daughter, I was a complete novice owner and it should have been a complete disaster, but it wasn't. she was just the nicest mare, forward going but sane, talented but kind and forgiving. My daughter loved her dearly and outgrew her far too quickly but she went on to give so many other children the opportunity to ride a competitive but safe pony.kizzy2 copy.jpgkizzy1.jpg

Last edited: