You can tell i am/was a one horse owner when i...

maya2008

Visit site
I owned rugs costing well in excess of £100, brushed her within an inch of her life, hacked her for hours...

Being a big sister isn't all it's cracked up to be! Now her rugs are £40 from the local farm shop, anything that can be second hand is; she gets a quick cuddle, kiss and two polos each day (retired now)!

MuddyMonster

Visit site
You can tell I'm a one horse owner because ... I sometimes soak haynets before putting the contents of that haynet into another haynet before putting up in the stable :D

(There's method to my madness, honestly!).

zandp

Visit site
I used to wash my grey's tail every week, was commenting the other day when I bathed both horses couldn't remember the last time she'd had a clean tail

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Used to be the same....and halter ropes neatly coiled into that hangman type arrangement
hehe yeah, got one horse friends who are particularly keen on that one... NOPE, no sooner have you twirled it all up that it needs undoing again.

Related: at what point do horses stop having their own headcollar and everyone uses the communal one that's easy to get on and off.

Reactions: JJS

meleeka

Visit site
hehe yeah, got one horse friends who are particularly keen on that one... NOPE, no sooner have you twirled it all up that it needs undoing again.

Related: at what point do horses stop having their own headcollar and everyone uses the communal one that's easy to get on and off.
Mine only wear a headcollar when going out or if the farrier or vet is coming! It’s always a bit of a panic because although there’s enough headcollars to go around. I can never find enough leadreins so they have to be tied up one at a time.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site

I deliberately undo them if visitors leave them like that, as due to lack of use the rope can 'set' in twirls, see my next answer....

When the only times you use a headcollar is for travelling, vet or farrier...... my 2 x tinies often share despite one each hanging outside their respective stables ?

Boulty

Visit site
I used to buy small bale haylage (& used to do a 3 HR round trip in the box every few months to pick it up myself as special princess pony needed special hay / haylage)

I buy branded fly spray rather than making my own (ditto buying proper red horse field paste etc rather than experimenting with making my own)

Embarking on handwalking hacks on foot due to not having a "spare" horse to lead from.

Oh & I haven't actually ridden regularly for over a year as had a broken pony & then bought a youngster ?

SEL

Visit site

Umm - well never when one of your horses is an Ardennes. Vet visit yesterday and as part of their Covid hygiene strategy they told me they would bring and use their own headcollars. Quiet chuckle to myself ..... that's never going to fit :D

eggs

Visit site
Headcollar lead rope twirled up every time it was used and tack stripped and cleaned every time I rode - which was nearly every day.

Oh, and a larger bank balance.

Annagain

Visit site
I have 1 1/2 horses (it's complicated) but have a sharer so really only the work of 1. I never do any of the things you say you did when you had one and all the things you do with multiple horses ring so many bells! I must be so lazy.

There are 4 of us (inc sharer) who have a bit of a rota going on for turnout and bringing in 3 horses (my horse, my share horse and one other) so I regularly bring 3 in and put them out once a week. My two never wear headcollars, they just wander into their stables or out to the field. The other horse would too but I don't want to risk something happening to him as he's not mine so I slip Archie's headcollar onto him. It's a bit big on him so slips on and off easily. His headcollar is there but I never use it!

My sharer decided to wash A's tail the other day as I hadn't done it in months. I only found out a week later, from another livery, that it was so bad it took her 3 hours. :oops:. It looks amazing now though!

No bridles ever get put away in any other configuration other than the reins on the hook with the headpiece.

The boys are the same size in rugs so they just get put in the first correct weight that comes to hand, there are no Monty rugs and Archie rugs. Their posh travelling rugs match for this reason. Numnahs, boots etc are all the same so I don't have to think about whose are whose. When I finally get a new one, he'd better be in 6'9" rugs and wear full size everything!