You cannot tow a horse trailer with a VW Golf?

Lill

Visit site
Can you?! My OH seems to think that he could tow a trailer with a horse in it with his Golf as it's got a pulling engine apparently! LOL! I told him that he couldn't, though he now reckons he's gonna try find a way to prove me wrong is he likely to succeed?
wink.gif

Lill

Visit site
It is a TDI! We had half the pub discussing it last week and most came to the conclusion that it would probably at the very least break his car!
grin.gif

RLF

Visit site
let him load the trailer with the weight of the horse and tell him to go up and down some steep hills, when his engine starts groaning he'll give up
grin.gif

Rambo

Visit site
Almost certainly NOT legally
shocked.gif
A VW Golf has a towing weight of about 1500kgs i think....a trailer would be 900kgs plus horse at say 500kgs....tack and driver would probably tip it just over the limit.

jacks_mum

Visit site
we towed a trailer with car on board, so similar weights, from Windsor to Portsmouth with our Golf TD and it managed it without killing the car. It would have been easier with a TDI. I reckon he could do it,

Lill

Visit site
shocked.gif
Why were you towing a car on a trailer?? Pssst you're supposed to be on my side here!
wink.gif

Rambo - he thinks it would be ok
crazy.gif
but surely you are not supposed to tow with anything other than a 4x4, other than the weight thing isn't it something to do with brakes failing possibly? Could be wrong?

Rambo

Visit site
Legally, it's purely a weight thing. Some of the best towing vehicles in the world are not 4x4's...Volvo's !? All cars have to have decent brakes....in fact I would go as far as to say most road cars have better brakes than 4x4's (bit of a generalisation there I know
tongue.gif
). The advantages that 4x4's bring is stability and traction as well as increased towing capacity due to their increased size on the whole
smile.gif

jacks_mum

Visit site
Hubby is a VW expert and had bought a broken one to put a G60 engine in - he finds it exciting for some reason. So we had to tow it back on a flat bed trailer as something was wrong with the gearbox (I think) and the back wheels wouldn't go round!

I'm not on anyones side - I was just answering the question
tongue.gif

Seriously though, I don't think it's too clever an idea with a large live animal, having said that... we used to ferry our mini shetland around in the back of a VW caddy van!!

Not being much help to you am I???

RLF

Visit site
it is recommended by the caravan club (im not a member just read it in last weeks HH), that the laden weight of the trailer does not exceed 85% of the weight of your vehicle.

Lill

Visit site
Rambo - that was his comeback that he'd seen Volvo's towing trailers... albeit empty ones! I may show him this if he still insists he is right !

jacks_mum - I'd probably find that exciting to be honest
blush.gif

Aww well when we gave the goats away they went in the back of a Shogun! Nuh it's not really he's not gonna try it and hasn't even got a tow bar it just came up in conversation !

Theresa_F

Visit site
Only if he were towing something like my baby bateson and one pony like I do - I use a nissen primera 2 litre TD.

It is ok with hills etc, but I would never use it with a larger trailer or an animal over 550 k. Chancer is only 420 at the moment and my Bateson is 650.

I have to be careful with some venues - though so have not got stuck so far.

In theory my OH's Audi TT would be a better tow vehicle - far more power, heavier, 4 x 4 and traction control - Chancer could be the fastest pony in Essex pulled by a sports car.
wink.gif

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Legally probably not, but physically... could be. I've seen little Renault 12s here (if you remember those!) pulling trailers here! And these trailers haven't got their own brakes like the ones in the UK.
My volvo was absolutely brilliant at pulling my friend's trailer.

Iestyn

Visit site
It doesn't matter about the engine - it's the weight that is the most important. The articel in H&H has really annoyed both myself and OH this week. The woman clearly hasn't got a bloody clue what she's talking about with regards to towing and OH has written a letter to H&H! It would be irresponisble and illegal for your OH to even attempt to pull a trailer with a horse in it.

Oaksflight

Visit site
My Dad's 2 litre honda accord struggles with a 16.1hh ID x TB in so I highly doubt it, and even if he managed he'd knacker the car!

Ashf

www.stencilbum.co.uk
Its downright dangerous towing with such a lightweight car.

I could pull a laden trailer with a pushbiike (slowly) and id be fine tillI come to stop.

I towed my IW and 1 pony with a Xantia a couple of times and it pushed the car around all over the place.

JLav

Visit site
Sophandhal can you fit a 16.1 IDXTB into a Honda Accord? Thought it might be a bit of a squash!! (Only joking!!)
wink.gif
wink.gif

Clodagh

Visit site
Years ago my Dad had a triumph dolomite - if you remember those you're not under 35!!
tongue.gif
- and they used to tow two hunters all over the county. It must have been terrifying!
If they had to go up Halstead hill they had to get a good speed up by the bottom and pray no old dear was trying to cross the zebra crossing half way up!
No longer!
grin.gif