You have to watch this horse run...!!!!

Reinman

New User
Visit site
For all those who think Western is easy....take three minutes to watch a western reining run (pattern 5)
go to:

http://www.euroreining.com/prima.asp

and click on 'DERBY FINAL VIDEO'

this is the first European bred, owned, trained and ridden horse to beat the USA by a female rider and win the NRHA Derby.

contact me if you want more info/demo
Reinman

seabiscuit

Visit site
Wow that was amazing! The horse seemed so extremely supple and relaxed, and balanced! And the rider didnt seem to do anything except sit there, most impressed.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
That was lovely to watch! What a lovely, laid-back little horse; he looked just about ready to have a nap until he was asked to go!
grin.gif

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Sorry, spinning...why? Additionally the accelerating & then reining up hard enough to put the horse down on its hocks can't be good. I've seen many injuries caused by horses doing this themselves, so why induce it. Granted it's a well trained horse but ...sorry not for me.

Oaksflight

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, spinning...why? Additionally the accelerating & then reining up hard enough to put the horse down on its hocks can't be good. I've seen many injuries caused by horses doing this themselves, so why induce it. Granted it's a well trained horse but ...sorry not for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. It's impressive but still. Also don't see why the audience got so excited by changing the rein with a flying change?

severnmiles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. It's impressive but still. Also don't see why the audience got so excited by changing the rein with a flying change?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess because of the speed at which it changed legs.

Thought it was all brill apart from the hocks thing, can't be good for them.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, spinning...why?

[/ QUOTE ]

You could just as easily ask "XC jumping/SJing/Passage/Racing/Endurance... why?"

I think that surface is very forgiving... not like doing spins or sliding stops in your field.

[ QUOTE ]
Additionally the accelerating & then reining up hard enough to put the horse down on its hocks can't be good. I've seen many injuries caused by horses doing this themselves, so why induce it.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, probably not very good for them, but then again, we could look at polo, racing, sjing, eventing, endurance riding, driving, dressage... and point out lots and lots of things that are not good for horses joints/muscles etc... and that's not even getting started with some training practices used...
Not getting on my soapbox, honest, just something I thought worth mentioning.

[ QUOTE ]
granted it's a well trained horse but ...sorry not for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough
smile.gif

Reinman

New User
Visit site
The whole point of this video was to show people just how much more technical and difficult some of the western disciplines are. The injuries you sugest do not occur as you might think. I think you should give credit to peoples thoughts as to their horses welfare. would you spin knowing it would cause injury?? of course not. If you cannot give credit for the relaxed nature this horse enters a huge arena, performs a perfect pattern, and walks out calmly,,,!! do your horses do this?? Can you execute a flying change at speed...!! The transition from fast to slow is supreme control and willingness.
Quarter Horses have short cannon bones and straight hocks. You talk of down on the hocks.......surely this is engagement, what we all want..............Are you aware of the rear sliding plates and different shoeing angles?? It is the 'English' way to critisise western, and I applaud the rider that makes fair comparisons to other disciplines..........reining is a full FEI sport and we have a GB reining team at WEG at this very moment.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I've just come back from seeing a horse that has done serious injuries to his hocks by skidding his rear legs under him. He'll be on box rest for months, he will have lazer therapy etc, etc. At the end of treatment he will probably only be able to hack. He has stretched and twisted his joint, its bled intio the joint & the tendons are a mess. This was done in the field. I cannot understand why someone wants to actually do this while riding.
Falling back on the Quote "It is the 'English' way to critisise western" is rubbish. I disagree with what that rider was doing. Whether I'm English or not makes no difference. Granted the horse was well trained but just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Reinman

New User
Visit site
So tell me the sense in puissance then..............

The American Quarter horse Association has over four million registered horses. The largest breed registery in the world..

The National Reining Horse Association has over three hundred and thirty thousand registered reiners.... I would think there would be some kind of reaction to reining if it were considered even the slightest bit dangerous to the horses...????

Dotilas

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I've just come back from seeing a horse that has done serious injuries to his hocks by skidding his rear legs under him. He'll be on box rest for months, he will have lazer therapy etc, etc. At the end of treatment he will probably only be able to hack. He has stretched and twisted his joint, its bled intio the joint & the tendons are a mess. This was done in the field. I cannot understand why someone wants to actually do this while riding.
Falling back on the Quote "It is the 'English' way to critisise western" is rubbish. I disagree with what that rider was doing. Whether I'm English or not makes no difference. Granted the horse was well trained but just because you can doesn't mean you should.

[/ QUOTE ]

He meant eglish as in english/western riding style. Not nationality. What a shame about the horse you were talking about... though these things do happen. The horses wear protective boots to prevent injury. Not a massive western fan myself, but I am amazed by the style in that the horses are trained and how the riders ride. Controlling speed with your seat? You can say, but dressage is this... dressage is that... But I can say this:

Western riding seems much kinder to the horse, and working with the horse, rather than against it. English riding is all about forced submission. You put the horse in a kimblewick so it stops fighting. (Most) Western riders use different techniques and have different views on submission.