You know when someone's a hardcore, pro rider when.......

Saucisson

Visit site
........they're wearing horse bandages wrapped around their lower leg instead of half-chaps :D

OH helps train a couple of horses for this lady who rides 6 horses every day, competes at a good level, has groomed around Europe for top pros, grooms her horses, cleans the boxes, buys & sells etc etc i.e. she is HARDCORE (and a very nice lady too)!

So, what do you you think are the signs that someone eats (metaphorically of course :p), drinks and cr*ps horses?

Boxers

Visit site
When they attend any social event wearing 'horsey' clothes. For instance I know a lady similar to the one you mention, and a few weeks ago went to a lunchtime drinks and canapes do - totally unrelated to anything horse - and this lady turned up wearing jeans, Dubarry boots, Joules top and a quilted coat. All the other females were wearing dresses and heels! Now if it had been a horsey type people gathering then fair enough - but it wasn't.

nikkimariet

Visit site
Always get told by my friends and family that I stink of horses.....and I tend to have at least one shaving or bit of haylage stuck in my hair at all times! Oops! xoxo

Tamba

Visit site
owning 7 horses,
riding atleast one every night, and three on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, which I dont work. (work Tuesday to Friday 9-5), Riding and Schooling 4 of them, 2 filliies which I am trying to bomb proof before breaking, bothj rising 3.
Competiting atleast twice a month, Lessons atleast once a week, which I have to box up and go to, and doing training so I can pass stage 2 in couple of months time..
Do I count???? I think of my life revolving round horses, is anyone else this committed, or bonkers????

charlimouse

Visit site
When they attend any social event wearing 'horsey' clothes. For instance I know a lady similar to the one you mention, and a few weeks ago went to a lunchtime drinks and canapes do - totally unrelated to anything horse - and this lady turned up wearing jeans, Dubarry boots, Joules top and a quilted coat. All the other females were wearing dresses and heels! Now if it had been a horsey type people gathering then fair enough - but it wasn't.

OMG, you are actually describing me there :eek:! Having said that I am being forced into a dress for my brother's wedding. I think that might be a scary experiance for all, my legs haven't seen daylight for a good few years :rolleyes:!

Bowen4Horses

www.poppywebber.co.uk
when you actually change OUT of your horsey clothes, wash your hair, straighten it, put on some normal clothes, and even scrape on some makeup... and go to tescos with a spring in your step, because, for the first time in months you're not wearing something that smells of horse poo... and the man on the till says 'have you got a horse?' out of the blue. apparently i 'look horsey'...

opinionuk

Visit site
When you can't remember what being out of your jodphurs actually feels like and you can't remember a time when you lived in a house that didn't smell of 'horse', working a 12 hour day getting changed into your horsey stuff in the car before arriving at the yard after an hour and a half commute in minus temperatures and riding in the arena under spotlights brought from B & Q as the schools not floodlit!

Is that dedication or stupidity I continually ask myself!

alwaysbroke

Visit site
You get the 'horse riders' shaped shoulders, and upper arms, if you do venture out of horsey attire, as CCP says to 'dress up' to do the weekly shop, you find that the arms on blouses dont fit, the tops of your arms make you look like the Incredible Hulk trying to burst out. Strappy tops/ dresses have to be chosen carefully to compliment the shoulder size which makes you at least 3x broader than you should be.

and

The hat silk should be at least 15 yrs old and so faded and battered the original colour is long forgotten.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
These don't sound 'hardcore' or 'pro' - just life with horses imo.

I can tell if someone's PRO if they have a blouson emblazoned with they're own name/range of horse stuff/stud/horse/s (so does everyone else employed by them) and arrive at the event with the latest shiny lorry with xenon headlamps, blue undercarriage lights and fairy lights all the way around the roofrack.

I can tell if someone is HARDCORE if they drive a scruffy old landrover to every event, can winch anyone out of the field and tow at the same time and is always the last to leave and usually carries ALL the equipment needed to be the heroine of the day.

SuperCoblet

Visit site
I went normal clothes shopping in town a couple of weeks ago in my wellies, jods and a mucky coat :eek: I got a couple of funny looks when I went into Jane Norman and bought a dress :')

nikkimariet

Visit site
Forgot to add, best moment ever....in Asda with sister, dressed in horse gear.....little boy walks by holding his mums hands 'Mummy those girls smell funny' xoxo

MissSBird

Visit site
Not sure if this describes a pro-rider, but I always think a hardcore rider is the person who doesn't realise/notice that their house/car smells of horses, as they are completely acclimatised to the scent!

fallenangel123

Visit site
You get the 'horse riders' shaped shoulders, and upper arms, if you do venture out of horsey attire, as CCP says to 'dress up' to do the weekly shop, you find that the arms on blouses dont fit, the tops of your arms make you look like the Incredible Hulk trying to burst out. Strappy tops/ dresses have to be chosen carefully to compliment the shoulder size which makes you at least 3x broader than you should be.

I once got all done up for a party feeling very impressed that I was, for once in a dress that fit reasonably. The first remark I got was from my father who said 'B****y hell, you look like Arnold Swartzenegger in drag!' Needless to say I got back into my jeans and t shirt!

That was some years ago and after years more of bale carting and riding strong horses I now have a channel down my backbone and huge muscles either side of it that just don't fit in ladies wear!

skewby

Visit site
Blimey. Ever thought of putting your leg on?

skewby

Visit site
These don't sound 'hardcore' or 'pro' - just life with horses imo.
Agree, don't think the responses are what the OP was actually on about.

I've met very few "hardcores" but you know them when you see them. Or rather, hear them. They address everyone, including their husbands, as if they're a naughty yearling!

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site

Ditto this entirely - I working hard at running and toning to get mine to slim down, I always feel like a man in drag :eek: Many times I have been asked if I'm a swimmer, or worse - a weightlifter :eek:

This is one of the reasons I love Zara P as she just looks like use, love seeing her in pics with the royals :)

In response to skewby - I think riders' arms can be developed quite easily through plenty of yard work, not necessarily from removing your horses teeth ;)

Event rider

Visit site
..When you work 2 horses, do 6th form,have a part time job and are in full tetrathlon training,dressage on the friday,event on the saturday,tri on the sunday. During the week,you come out of class to your mum in the horsebox ready to go for a gallop or jump lesson (that you have worked you backside off to pay for), knowing that when you get home you have to go for a run,muck out,work until 10pm then go swimming til 11pm.
When you finally get to go out and get drunk, you think your a dressage horse, and perform half pass and piaffe. Would we want it any other way?? :)

ClobellsandBaubles

Visit site
when people you see everyday don't recognise you out of jods and minus shaving in hair and covered in green slobber etc. or comment in amazement at the fact you are clean for once although that might just be my magnetic attraction to dirt

alwaysbroke

Visit site
Blimey. Ever thought of putting your leg on?

Uhhhh yes thanks, even the 18,2 plus hunts in a snaffle! Its the work that goes with the riding off the leg that I was refering to, as others seem to get

Ride off your hands ang any of our will tell you where to go

Last edited:

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
..When you work 2 horses, do 6th form,have a part time job and are in full tetrathlon training,dressage on the friday,event on the saturday,tri on the sunday. During the week,you come out of class to your mum in the horsebox ready to go for a gallop or jump lesson (that you have worked you backside off to pay for), knowing that when you get home you have to go for a run,muck out,work until 10pm then go swimming til 11pm.
When you finally get to go out and get drunk, you think your a dressage horse, and perform half pass and piaffe. Would we want it any other way?? :)

Whoa!!!!

nuff said.

skewby

Visit site
Uhhhh yes thanks, even the 18,2 plus hunts in a snaffle! Its the work that goes with the riding off the leg that I was refering to, as others seem to get

Ride off your hands ang any of our will tell you where to go
I get you, apols, and yes mine is just the same which is why my radar was up ;)

JFTDWS

Visit site

Well, shamefully I've been there. And I don't even have to be drunk, some days I find myself doing lateral work whilst wandering along corridors at work, and my rationale is that a lot of "schooling" can be done whilst "hacking". I shudder to think what my co-workers would do if they saw this...