You were all wrong!

Dry Rot

Visit site
We had one here, an entire, sharing a field with a 16HH TB type mare and although he tried his luck, Nature was against the alliance. I did wonder about putting him in with the herd as he squared up to the 14HH Highland stallion through a double fence, obviously convinced he could hold his own! So I think we'll not be inviting him back unless he's gelded as I realy can't afford to let him and his new gelding friend have a whole 4 cre field. Keeping two stallions does require a bit of management to keep them separated by double fencing and rest fields too.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I am prepared!

Mind you - the paddock he will be in in the summer is post and rail, with 4 rails, and stock fencing behind!

Sorry to tell you he has already ordered 'Levitation for Shetlands' from Nev so the fence is irrelevant :biggrin3:

And Tiny Fuzzy has done the frontispiece for that book :)

'Much should also be made of using the older tried and tested methods, such as scrubbing along each bottom rail, not forgetting to look winsome at the gateway to encourage humans into forgetting to close it properly"

muckypony

Visit site
Welcome to the world of being late everywhere because the cute little ball of fluff must be snuggled at all times :D

My two are far from the *****lands they should be. In fact it's my big Welsh that walks through the fences (I'm sure they egg him in though...)I have old rickety post and rail with just two rails. In some places he bottom rail is low enough for them to step through but even in the summer when they're in fatty paddocks they don't escape, they just put their heads over/under and unfortunately my ancient fencing sometimes gives way!

Everyone needs a couple of Shetlands!

Auslander

Visit site
Welcome to the world of being late everywhere because the cute little ball of fluff must be snuggled at all times :D

My two are far from the *****lands they should be. In fact it's my big Welsh that walks through the fences (I'm sure they egg him in though...)I have old rickety post and rail with just two rails. In some places he bottom rail is low enough for them to step through but even in the summer when they're in fatty paddocks they don't escape, they just put their heads over/under and unfortunately my ancient fencing sometimes gives way!

Everyone needs a couple of Shetlands!

I have the same problem! If anyone is going to break stuff, it's Jim, and if anyone is going to fanny around, get herself into situations, and generally cause trouble, it's a certain little bay mare!

Auslander

Visit site
And Tiny Fuzzy has done the frontispiece for that book :)

'Much should also be made of using the older tried and tested methods, such as scrubbing along each bottom rail, not forgetting to look winsome at the gateway to encourage humans into forgetting to close it properly"

My gate has a chain on it, but not because of Ted. Jim is exceptionally good at undoing gate catches!

Ted is itchy, and I have caught him several times with his back feet on the surfce retaining board, so he can get his bum high enough to scratch it on the second rail!

He also makes poo picking take ages, as he loves being scratched with the shavings fork!

muckypony

Visit site
Ted is itchy, and I have caught him several times with his back feet on the surfce retaining board, so he can get his bum high enough to scratch it on the second rail

Oh yes a good bum scratch is the best time spent for a Shetland... He will soon have your big big well trained on the itching front!

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
I have had a request for livery for a Shitland. He would have to go in with a mixed herd of Highlands. I am afraid he might get trodden on...or worse. What's more, he is still entire. A non-starter? (Sorry to hijack the thread!).

Our shetland lives out with a 16.2hh mare, a 16hh gelding and another pony and can look after himself... I wouldn't worry at all! Him being entire might be more of an issue if mares are about I guess, but from a size perspective I wouldn't worry. :)

And OP, your shettie is a beauty! Mine also loves a scratch with the poo-picking fork, hehe!

Auslander

Visit site
I'm waiting for the update where he's in the house, on the sofa with you :p

As soon as my garden isn't flooded, he will be on lawn mowing duties! If Jim (over 17hh) can fit a lot of himself into the conservatory, I would imagine that Ted, at 8hh, will be tucked up on the sofa in no time!

Mynyddcymro

Visit site
He is adorable! My one boy is 14 this year and has for the first time ever barged through the (terrifying) electric fence three times in two days. Shetlands are excellent best friends, I wouldn't be without my two!!!

Auslander

Visit site
A friend has asked if her 8yr old daughter can show him in-hand this year! He's done a fair bit of showing, so I think hed enjoy a few outings!
Friend is a bit more serious than me, and has been checking out Sunshine Tour qualifiers. I didn't know they did gremlin classes...

The Fuzzy Furry

Visit site
They do all sorts of qualifiers these days :)

Looking forwards to meeting him soon, will bring one of Tiny Fuzzys polos as she said I need to take an offering (actually she wanted to send a high fibre nut but i dont think thats quite as appropriate) :biggrin3:

Auslander

Visit site
They do all sorts of qualifiers these days :)

Looking forwards to meeting him soon, will bring one of Tiny Fuzzys polos as she said I need to take an offering (actually she wanted to send a high fibre nut but i dont think thats quite as appropriate) :biggrin3:

He's grateful for anything. He is very disappointed twice a day when the others get a feed, and he gets 4 cubes and a pinch of chaff!

Apercrumbie

Visit site
He really is worryingly well behaved isn't he? Just look at that video - he's not pulling, he's not trying to run off somewhere else, he doesn't even look mischievous. How have you done it? *wanders off muttering about magic women*

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
He really is worryingly well behaved isn't he? Just look at that video - he's not pulling, he's not trying to run off somewhere else, he doesn't even look mischievous. How have you done it? *wanders off muttering about magic women*

Maybe he's actually a dog in a pantomime horse outfit.......most suspicious

Auslander

Visit site

I'm sure he's biding his time! I left the gate unlatched the other day. It swung open, and he walked towards it, but stopped when I bellowed. FAR too well behaved!

LCH611

Visit site
I am also besotted by our new mini Shetland...... he is only 6 months old and arrived just over a week ago unhalter broken. He is now turned out with the Big Boys (he can escape under a slip rail into a paddock they can't get into if they are being overly boisterous) and has got life completely sorted. He has important bucket polishing duties as he is allowed to free range round the barn in the mornings & evenings and is not remotely inclined to nip. He adores people and rushes over to meet and greet anyone that appears, & I agree watching an 8hh fluff bundle trot is too funny for words as the legs don't seem to move, the fluff just oscillates!

The Fuzzy Furry

Visit site
Just wanted to thank Auslander for the invite over this morning - lovely cuppa - and also Polar Sky came along too :cool3:
Fantastic to meet Ted in the flesh (and also the infamous Alf too!).
I've sent Tiny Fuzzy a photo & she has extended an invite for Ted to come on a play date :)

Auslander

Visit site
Just wanted to thank Auslander for the invite over this morning - lovely cuppa - and also Polar Sky came along too :cool3:
Fantastic to meet Ted in the flesh (and also the infamous Alf too!).
I've sent Tiny Fuzzy a photo & she has extended an invite for Ted to come on a play date :)

Still chuckling at Alf doing unprompted carrot stretches.He's such a treat-tart!

Ted said he'd be very happy to have a date with Tiny Fuzzy - it'd be nice to meet someone his own size!

chillipup

Visit site
I am also besotted by our new mini Shetland...... he is only 6 months old and arrived just over a week ago unhalter broken. He is now turned out with the Big Boys (he can escape under a slip rail into a paddock they can't get into if they are being overly boisterous) and has got life completely sorted. He has important bucket polishing duties as he is allowed to free range round the barn in the mornings & evenings and is not remotely inclined to nip. He adores people and rushes over to meet and greet anyone that appears, & I agree watching an 8hh fluff bundle trot is too funny for words as the legs don't seem to move, the fluff just oscillates!

Ummm, have we seen a photo of the little fella yet? :)

pennyturner

Visit site

MagicMelon

Visit site
OP, the only word in my head reading your post is "yet..." ha ha! All little ponies cause trouble - I've now got a Dartmoor who I have to keep shooing out of the tack room as she follows me everywhere and figures if the dogs allowed in then so is she!

3OldPonies

Visit site
Auslander - he looks absolutely gorgeous - and so well behaved, if you fancy something that does live up to its reputation would you like to swap for a biting, rearing American Miniature colt who is so cute that when he's behaving he can stop traffic? I can't believe how good my old mini shetland was, Ok he was a bit of an escapologist at times by my god these american jobs are pure crazy.

L&M

Visit site
What a cutie - I had two shetlands and they were angelic both too handle and ride. I used to get very defensive when people called them '*****lands' and still miss them to this day.

Have fun!

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
He is gorgeous, if you get fed up of him he can come and keep my three minis company. Better warn you one is never enough! I started with one and within a year I had three and I would have more if I had the room.