Young dog challenging older dog

teach

Visit site
We have a 9 year old Jack Russell, and a 6 month old cocker spaniel. Over the past week or so they have started fighting. Prior to this they got on fine, and the Jr was alpha dog, is suspect that the young dog is now challenging him.
Most of the time they are fine, until one of them takes offence at something and then the fight starts. The are easy to split up, and after 5 mins all is calm again.
Any advice on how to move forward?

Shady

Visit site
Teach. Have a look at my post further down and see if anything on that helps you.
You have a different age gap and sex combination to me but the problem is roughly the same.
Hopefully you will get some good advice too. My problem is just over food . I note that you say that they are easy to split up, so were mine to begin with but it may not stay that way.
I have not had another fight since I posted on here but that is not to say that I won't. I'm being more careful with them in general and will probably deal with a fight a little differently if there is another.
I do hope somebody on here can advise you.

skinnydipper

Visit site
What is the trigger or resource the dogs are fighting over? Whatever it is it is yours, be that space, food, attention, toys, etc. You control all resources, at least until you get through this difficult patch, then you can relax but always keep control of situations around food or resources they perceive as high value.

Ultimately you are team leader and they both need to know that. There are simple ways to establish your position. They need to ask for what they want and perform your chosen behaviour before they get it. That might be affection from you, being released to play - ask for a sit before you throw the ball, don't let both dogs go after the same ball - have a ball that is special for each dog and release the dog by name to go for "their" ball.

The dogs will decide who is "top dog" and it may not be who you feel it should be. Mine never fought for the position, they just instinctively knew.

Testosterone starts to rise at about 5 months and peaks at about 10 months. After that it slowly falls to adult levels. Your young dog may be asserting himself due to rising hormones. I would not say it is a reason for castration but more a time for renewed vigilance on your part.

I am sure other forum members will be along to add their advice.

Last edited:

teach

Visit site
Thanks Shady. I’ll have a read of your thread now. I think I know what is happening..old dog growls quietly at younger dog to warn him off, younger dog reacts and then it escalates and ends up with old dog playing the victim when he started it!!

teach

Visit site
What is the trigger or resource the dogs are fighting over? Whatever it is it is yours, be that space, food, attention, toys, etc. You control all resources, at least until you get through this difficult patch, then you can relax but always keep control of situations around food or resources they perceive as high value.

Ultimately you are team leader and they both need to know that. There are simple ways to establish your position. They need to ask for what they want and perform your chosen behaviour before they get it. That might be affection from you, being released to play - ask for a sit before you throw the ball, don't let both dogs go after the same ball - have a ball that is special for each dog and release the dog by name to go for "their" ball.

The dogs will decide who is "top dog" and it may not be who you feel it should be but to try to interfere with that natural process will cause conflict.

Testosterone starts to rise at about 5 months and peaks at about 10 months. After that it slowly falls to adult levels. Your young dog may be asserting himself due to rising hormones. I would not say it is a reason for castration but more a time for renewed vigilance on your part.

Thanks Skinny!
Young dog has just been cast

The dogs will decide who is "top dog" and it may not be who you feel it should be but to try to interfere with that natural process will cause conflict.

thanks.
You’d dog has his balls off on Friday..i suspect it’s attention..always starts when we are around

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
6 weeks for the testosterone to properly dissipate so the issue may not resolve quickly and the behaviour may now also be ingrained. Our youngsters are both castrated, they don't fight but one of them challenges the older dog a fair bit.