Young greenie - starting hacking alone

clovergrover

New User
Visit site
I have a 5 year old, she has not long been broken. We have hacked out several times with others and alone but with someone on foot walking with us for support. Today I decided I wanted to take her out for a mini hack it's only a very small loop which I would then do several times to build up her confidence slowly. Anyway today was a huge mission and I'd like any help to know if I did the right thing or if I could of done it differently... so we set off and she was fine going down the long driveway from the farm, once we were on the road she didnt really want to continue. She would plant herself and when asked to move forward she would end up going backwards, at that point I just turned her in tight circles , ask her then to move forward if she refuses or goes backward then repeat...many times.. until eventually she did give in and we woild move forward and I would stop all the pressure and give her lots if praise and rub her neck. A few metres and she stops again and I do the same thing.. it took us over an hour to do a teeny tiny loop.. I just didn't want to back down a let her turn back..at one point she was absolutely not going forward despite circling and waiting and trying again so I did get off and led her a few metres and let her have a bite of grass and managed to get back on board again and at that point she was better and we were on heading in the direction of home. Once back at the farm she tried to plant herself again by the gate of her turnout field so I did the same as before circling, ask her to move forward when she refuses circle again... then she walked on and we made it back to stable and she got lots if praise. Is there a better way to deal with planting and refusing to move forward? If I put too much pressure on she goes backwards and attempts to rear so thatd why I've been doing lots if tight circles rather than just standing on the spot and going backwards. Am I asking too much and is she likely to get better or worse by forcing her to go out alone? I feel like she just needs more confidence and the only way to do that is to actually get out and do it but it's hard when she wont move. Any help or advice?? Thanks

Starbucks

Visit site
Hmm not sure. I’ve Made mine go out alone from day one so they don’t feel like they need a leader. You did the right thing making him go, no mater what.

It does sound like a confidence issue if he is fine with a person is the lead. I would make him go in front when out with others and with your friend on the bike. At least you have backup then. When he’s going confidently at the front, then try solo.

be positive

Visit site
Some will gain confidence by being pushed on but others will lose it and get worse, obviously you don't want to give in but a young horse really needs to be set up to succeed if possible so I would either go out in company/ someone on foot but get her in front for longer so she is leading and maybe even trotting a short distance ahead before gradually trying going alone for a walk around a field then out properly, or go back a stage and long rein her, I always long rein out and about before riding away so most are used to being alone but it seems to be missed out or stopped as soon as they are backed when it is often really useful to use as a stepping stone stage to avoid them becoming nappy at such an early time in their education.

TheMule

Visit site
You really don't want to get into this at such an early stage. She's not ready to hack alone, go back to going out with company or build it up more progressively or you will create a problem

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I had the same situation with mine last year. She had done limited hacking in company before I bought her, but with me she is always ridden alone.

At first OH came with me on foot. Then we went alone, and a few times she did get stuck, but OH was waiting with a pedal bike and he would cycle round (only short route so not long to wait) and overtake, speaking to her as he went. He would not even stop, just cycle past. She would unstick and he would cycle off.

A couple more times he followed in a car, so we were protected when on the main road and he could walk past if she got stuck. On the quieter roads he would simply go round the other way to the next junction, so not following, just keeping an occasional eye on us. It was just the main road where he would follow with hazard lights on, to give us a bit of space and slow traffic down.

The mere fact that someone overtook was enough to get her moving forwards, he did not do anything (being OH he would speak to her as in "you arse of a horse, what happened? I could be inside watching TV!" but nothing else). She soon got the hang of it.

With others I have led then the first half of the 'ride' then mounted up when we are on the way home and ridden back. I didn't do that with this one as I am too old to be mounting up off a road sign or similar!

What I won't do is wait for there to be a problem and then dismount. If there is a sticky place coming up then I have no issue dismounting before the horse has shown any issues, but I won't let the horse stick and then dismount, that is why I have back up to help out if I have an issue, that can keep a watchful eye and be there

If you have company to ride out with then I agree with a previous poster to ride out but have her lead. Even have her trot forwards 30 yards or so, and then walk and let the other one catch up. Then swap, so she has to walk while the other trots 30 yards or so, then waits for you. I do practice this on the school first though.

Even better, once she is happy with the above, if you have a ride where you can pass close to home and yours takes the short route home whilst the other one goes a bit further. I find that a trot away from the other one helps unstick the feet, then go back to a walk. I have started that once home is almost in sight, so they are drawn towards home whilst still learning to separate.

It is all about baby steps towards your eventual goal.

Goldenstar

Visit site
You have over faced her .
Do this ride several times in a group and once she will go in front the whole way round then try again .
Is she hacking happily in front on group hacks ?

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
We start out our young ones long-lining (2 people.) Then build up to long-lining out - then ridden back (so rider mounting means they're going home.) Then a ridden horse goes too - but still long-lined out - but mounted sooner. It's a case of building it up slowly. There is so much to see and learn about - and traffic is the least of it. There are puddles, and plastic bags, and silly signs - and all sorts.

Fransurrey

Visit site
Lead her out, then get on to come home. Get on earlier and earlier until you do as I did and one day think 'sod it' and get on in the yard! If you haven't had her for very long, then just take her for walks with just you. It takes a lot of pressure off you both and I find it helps build that trust which you need for hacking alone.

paddy555

Visit site
I start by leading the 2 or 3 yo around the lanes when OH rides his horse. We take the lead just about all the time from the beginning and he is just there in case there is a difficult bit. Then I long rein out on the roads and common, everywhere I want to ride I long rein first. We take another horse and the youngster has to go in front and then stop, be left behind, turn and go the other way past the ridden horse etc etc. We long rein through streams, around bushes and anything else. That way he learns to lead and be independent. After that he just finds himself going off on the long reins and the other horse has gone elsewhere so he is alone.
Then I do that ridden so the youngster is used to taking the lead. I half ride and half walk (due to age and unfit youngster) and gradually build up to more riding and less leading. If there is a difficult part, say something that is worrying and he will spook or stop at, I get off well in advance so he doesn't think he can plant and we go and investigate it in great detail with lots of leading around it.
I want my horse to hack alone and I have no school so we have to do everything on the roads.

SpringArising

Visit site
I think it depends entirely on the horse. When I took my youngster for his first hack, I took him alone with someone on foot because I wanted to start as we meant to go on. After that, I went out a LOT with other people so he could get used to the different routes in company (even though he was always more than happy to lead). I did try taking him out in hand but he was such a twit it was dangerous.

I think often it's just trial and error, along with a lot of repetition. In the situation you describe I don't think you did anything wrong - you need to do whatever you're comfortable with. If you're determined to take him alone but going to be a bag of nerves, that's going to do more harm than going with company but you being totally relaxed.

clovergrover

New User
Visit site
How are your long reining skills? I always do some long reining out before I ride out as it is easier to send them forwards.
She has long reined out on the roads before but only with a nanny horse as the roads are narrow and I dont feel too safe long reining her alone and to be honest I think she would still plant even on long reins.

clovergrover

New User
Visit site
Lead her out, then get on to come home. Get on earlier and earlier until you do as I did and one day think 'sod it' and get on in the yard! If you haven't had her for very long, then just take her for walks with just you. It takes a lot of pressure off you both and I find it helps build that trust which you need for hacking alone.
Thanks I like this idea!

clovergrover

New User
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies folks. I think I'm going to go back to having someone walk on foot with ni other horses as she seems happy with this and never plants... if I go out with others shes more Mareish and just as stubborn I'd she doesnt want to go in front she wont etc.

clovergrover

New User
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies folks. I think I'm going to go back to having someone walk on foot with ni other horses as she seems happy with this and never plants... if I go out with others shes more Mareish and just as stubborn I'd she doesnt want to go in front she wont etc.
I can then ask my partner to walk behind on the way back home shes confident and slowly get him going behind so shes alone in front 👍

Upthecreek

Visit site

After reading that she is also ”mareish and stubborn when hacking with others and won’t go in front if she doesn’t want to” it sounds very much like she is testing you out to see who is in charge and at the moment it’s her. I would really go back to basics on the ground and in the school with her, because you are unlikely to overcome this hacking problem until you do. I am not for one minute suggesting you beat her or are nasty to her, but you must have consistent boundaries in place on the ground and riding in the school before you go out in the big wide world because that’s where all the scary things are and difficult questions that she doesn’t know the answers to yet. For example, if you tell her to go back or sideways on the ground she does it and if you are riding in the school & you ask her to go forward she does it. She will only take confidence from you and accept what you are asking when she knows you are in charge.

clovergrover

New User
Visit site
I took her out today but had my daughter walk with us on foot but behind us.. much more positive experience her ears were forward and she walked out nicely, got stuck a couple of times where my daughter then walked next to us to get her walking on then she would back off and let us lead again, really happy with her today think she enjoyed it. Will do this a few more times until shes going in front with no stopping the whole way and before going it alone again :)

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
You really don't want to get into this at such an early stage. She's not ready to hack alone, go back to going out with company or build it up more progressively or you will create a problem

Yes I'd agree with this ^^^

TBH I think you may have asked a little too much, too soon??

I'd be inclined to go back to basics and perhaps try leading her out in hand (all tacked up, so you can hop up if it feels right), but if she feels iffy then just get off and walk her.

I'd personally avoid the going-in-circles thing at such an early stage; I don't think she's being deliberately nappy, she's just saying that she feels a little unsure of the situation and if you start turning her in circles as soon as she's expressed her doubts, then you may end up with nappy behaviour long-term. I feel she just needs a bit of reassurance right now and you might have to give her this from the ground rather than the saddle?

It would help to have someone on a schoolmaster horse to give her some confidence, or someone walking or on a bicycle.

Perhaps even a little more work on the ground, just to gain her confidence a little more??

clovergrover

New User
Visit site
Yes I'd agree with this ^^^

TBH I think you may have asked a little too much, too soon??

I'd be inclined to go back to basics and perhaps try leading her out in hand (all tacked up, so you can hop up if it feels right), but if she feels iffy then just get off and walk her.

I'd personally avoid the going-in-circles thing at such an early stage; I don't think she's being deliberately nappy, she's just saying that she feels a little unsure of the situation and if you start turning her in circles as soon as she's expressed her doubts, then you may end up with nappy behaviour long-term. I feel she just needs a bit of reassurance right now and you might have to give her this from the ground rather than the saddle?

It would help to have someone on a schoolmaster horse to give her some confidence, or someone walking or on a bicycle.

Perhaps even a little more work on the ground, just to gain her confidence a little more??
Thanks she was good as gold today with someone accompanying us on foot so we will continue this way until shes leading all the way with no stopping before going it alone again 👍

Reactions: DD