Young Horse behaviour - saddle and back issue?

NooNoo59

Visit site
I have a 4 year old welsh section d. He had his saddle fitted by a saddle fitter in December. We always lunge him for a few minutes before schooling to allow him to get any excesses out of his system, he is normally very good but last night he kept bucking in the canter and kicking out. He also does not seem to be able to maintain right canter for more than a few strides. I have also noticed that he is not keen on going downhill out hacking he tends to come down sideways. I wonder if the saddle is causing issues although it was fitted by a (I think!) good saddler.
Thoughts??

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Horses can change shape really fast, I would definitely get the saddle checked. The classic saddle cause is it tipping backwards, bridging and running forwards onto the shoulder, usually because the horse has got wider. Agree it could also be SI, hocks etc. Ask your fitter to show you how to monitor the fit of your saddle so you can nip issues in the bud before they cause major discomfort.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Those symptoms have sacro and/or hocks written all over them

My first thought too.

It would be a vet straight away for me, but then I know whether the saddle fits or not myself, and it's just possible that it's a saddle fit issue.

NooNoo59

Visit site
Excellent news! Physio very pleased with him no soreness or stiffness. She recommends long reining and lots of work in walk to build strength. He is hypermobile and doesn't know what to with his legs!!

Piefink26

New User
Visit site
Those symptoms have sacro and/or hocks written all over them
Sorry to leap on this post but I have similar but with an older horse who is 10. Vetted 6 weeks ago (in Ireland) wondering if behavior is defiance, SI, hocks or potentially ulcers. Not the obvious candidate for ulcers. My thoughts would be SI or hocks, possibly teeth. Physio due next week then plan to get vet. Corkscrew bucks to RHS on transition to trot. Accompanied once by squeal and slight spin to LHS.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
OK so you've had the physio for your horse; NOW what you need to do is go to the physio for YOU!!

As a fitness professional, I'm serious when I say this! If the horse needs physio, then so do you. And vice versa. Soohh many issues under saddle are caused by the rider being crooked and thus riding unevenly; and people are quite happy to spend a fortune on physio for their horses, yet don't ever think about getting themselves checked if their horses need doing!

I'm fortunate in that I use a practitioner (McTimoney) who does us both, which helps greatly.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Sorry to leap on this post but I have similar but with an older horse who is 10. Vetted 6 weeks ago (in Ireland) wondering if behavior is defiance, SI, hocks or potentially ulcers. Not the obvious candidate for ulcers. My thoughts would be SI or hocks, possibly teeth. Physio due next week then plan to get vet. Corkscrew bucks to RHS on transition to trot. Accompanied once by squeal and slight spin to LHS.

Ulcers don't always have obvious signs and patterns, some owners are very surprised to find their horses have them. And defiance? Jeez, hope that vet has had a rethink. Pain or confusion, seldom anything else. Could possibly again be saddle tipping back though sounds more serious.