Young horse bucking after the jump

Tufty

Visit site
went to watch my friend jump her new horse cross country today he is really sensible and looks as though he has great potential but she is quite a novice rider and when he jumped a jump that was a little larger than the others he appeared to twist over the fence and then bucked at the other side - was this her or do you think he was trying it on. One of the more experienced riders then took him over the same jump and he didnt buck with her

Irishcobs

Visit site
He could be trying it on or she could of been unbalanced on him causing him to be unbalanced so he bucked to correct himself. Been young I would say it was a balance thing.

Tufty

Visit site
thanks - thats what I thought maybe he doesnt like her unbalancedness (if there is such a word) and needs the re-assurance of someone being very positive with him - he seems such an honest horse in every other way

Chex

Visit site
One yougster I used to ride did this. I'm not sure if it was a balance problem, or trying it on, but it was sorted by keeping legs on and his head up.

Irishcobs

Visit site
I don't no how young the horse is, but if you watch a young horse (3-4) jump loose, its head drops right down inbetween its legs, the bigger the jump the further it drops down, this is the way the horse helps its self to balance, once more confident and older, the head doesn't need to drop so much.
If you don't allow the head to drop the horse can be come unbalanced.

Irishcobs

Visit site
He still may drop his head more than older horses. Was it the highest jump she had jumped on him?
I'm still edgy towards it being a balance thing, thats why with a more experienced rider on he was fine.

vic07

Visit site
My 13 yo still bucks on landing - it is all a game to him and he does it when very excited about jumping! Could just be a him enjoying himself!

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Could be several things, but since he's only doing it with her, and not a more experienced rider it would suggest that it is something she's doing unintentionally. She might be gripping too hard with her legs (this is guaranteed to make Antifaz buck!), her heels might be swinging back and 'tickling' him, perhaps she sits on him a bit heavily on landing. She might even be jabbing him in the mouth. How secure is her position and what's her balance like?

Tufty

Visit site
Yep all everyone is saying makes sense - novice riding unbalanced thats why he is bucking - gosh you lot are good - thank you all very much for your posts

clipclop

Visit site
Mine did this when he was young and I believe it is because I wasn't a positive enough rider.

I was so relieved to land that I would stop "riding" him and he needed me to ride on and keep him balanced to give him confidence.

I think it was Jeanette Brakewell who said in an article that a positive contact is like holding a young horse's hand. That very well may be what your friend is lacking.

My instructor gave me a fantastic lesson to help me through this.

There were 4 jumps, one on each side of the School. Pole on the floor I had to get in to a balanced "cross country" position and get a rythm and think of nothing more but going forward and staying in a rythm.

She would gradually put the jumps up and would just be encouraging me to forget about the jumps and just stick with the rythym and my own balance.

It was wonderful, my confidence grew, his rythym didn't change, I didn't intefere with him, he didn't need to throw me off
tongue.gif

We ended up jumping 3'6" which may not sound a lot to brave people but for me "Miss 2'6"" It was nothing less that a miracle!!!
grin.gif

Helped me be a much more positive rider for my boy.
grin.gif
grin.gif