Young Horse Bucking into Canter?

PaintedPotter

New User
Visit site
I have a 5 year old paint mare who bucks when she is asked to canter. I have checked out saddle fit, vet came out and checked soundness and teeth. All fine, farrier will be out soon for trim and check hooves.

She is a great horse, very lovable and such but she crowhops and kicks out her hindend when I want her to canter. It is really annoying to me. I'm quite used to it but I'd rather not go through it all the time I ride her.

Thanks

muddy_grey

www.*******.com
Does she do this in the school and out hacking? Is it when you put your leg on or as she strikes off? Once cantering does she settle and go forward? It can be a question of balance in which case I would stick to cantering in straight lines out hacking. Or if she is reluctant to go forward then following another horse out hacking, don't ask for canter just let her go with the other horse. Bucking when you put your leg on - she needs to learn to accept the leg, lateral work can help this and also in hand turn on the forehand and leg yielding. If none of these apply then I would just send her forward if she bucks and hopefully she will grow out of it.

Pigeon

Visit site
I hate to say it but mine will do this when his back is bad. Get a second opinion from a chiro, or get vet again.

Wheels

Visit site
I would agree with pigeon, my saddle fitter and horse massage therapist have just been sacked!! I would get a second opinion.

Sore horse = bucking horse! saddler said saddle fit fine when it blatantly didn't! massage person told me back was fine when it blatantly wasnt. I paid these people good money to do their jobs which they didn't do so I've moved on!!

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I had one if you put your legs on too strongly she would do this. I taught her to canter from an inside leg aid only. Really with her you just had to think what you wanted and she would do it. She didn't like too much leg. She was also a paint mare, they are very sensitive and clever.

casspow

Visit site
If you've had all checks done and trust the people who have done it, it might just be a case of she's unbalanced and that's her thing to help her get into canter. Does she do it on the lunge?

SpringArising

Visit site
It's most likely her balance.

I had a gelding who bucked for England as a youngster, usually when doing a flying change. I just let him get on with it and completely ignored it, and once he got his balance and leg placement sorted out, he pretty much stopped. In the meantime, two-point is your friend!

hairycob

Visit site
At that age it is very likely to be balance. Is your instructor used to young horses. Mine was brilliant in helping me understand that he was just trying to get his legs in the right order & needed to lift his back to achieve it until he understood & was properly balanced.

mandwhy

Visit site
I'd just try straight lines out hacking and only do canter in two point until the horse is more comfortable and balanced, it can be really difficult for some horses, mine is nearly 8 and can only just canter a circle albeit mainly through lack of work, but she obviously Has more strength to do it now rather than say two years ago. Oh and lunging has been invaluable for her balance too.