Young horse - is this normal?

sherry90

Visit site
Just on this bit.
Coming into winter is a hard time on a green horse I think. They can get a bit silly with the changing season, the weather is more unsettled, it's darker and we all get a bit short on time.
I think that coupled with knowing your horse is still learning his job, it's natural and very understandable to have a little confidence wobble.
I find with the green ones you have to try and park the worries - and the disappointment of a session that doesn't go your way - and keep on plugging away. Bit by bit they come on almost without you noticing.

What I've learnt from my tricky ones is that if you are feeling particularly nervous one day (either from your own collywobbles or the weather or whatever) then just do the things that you both feel comfortable with and think of it as a day for topping up your confidence bank. I have one that is a bit of a spookpot at the moment, so if it's blowing a gale and he's feeling really daft sometimes we only do a bit of quiet work in walk and trot so we both stay relaxed and we can just tick the day off even if it wasn't what I wanted to be working on. The time is never wasted if you can use it like that, you can feel positive about it, because you did something you both knew and you survived whatever the challenge was.
With a more established horse you can push on through that feeling but sometimes there's no point doing that to yourself, when all you need to do is get on, ride round a bit, and get off, there's always another day and nothing to prove to anyone.

This, in spades!