young horse too fast!!!!

sharono

Visit site
can anyone help stop my youngster rushing once he is in canter? his trot is lovely until we canter it is as if he is panicking about the whole gait. he is only four, and i have only had him for three months. No idea what he has done previously as he was in holland in june.
confused.gif
please help as don't want to get it wrong because he has a fab jump(on the lunge and when he jumped out of the sandschool!)

beaconhorse

Visit site
Is it a balance issue? (which I suspect it is) a lot of young horses go way too fast because they lack balance (my own did)

Are you jumping him undersaddle yet?

If it is a balance issue there are several ways to address this, first is to only do 3 to 6 strides of canter then come back to trot, gradually increasing the strides until he is more balanced

Work on circles to slow him up and possibly the 3 to 6 strides too

However I tried all this and much more with my own, the only thing that worked with him was to just sit very very quietly and let him go, this was rather hairy in that several times he nearly fell over going around corners, he eventually figured it out for himself. But you do need to try the other ways first because if you do this first and it is not the right answer for him he could easily lose confidence

sharono

Visit site
thanks beaconhorse, have tried circles for a while now and he anticipates the canter transition. he is not badly balanced as he is able to do a 10m circle in canter. he just seems scared and rushes!

MissDeMeena

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
If it is a balance issue there are several ways to address this, first is to only do 3 to 6 strides of canter then come back to trot, gradually increasing the strides until he is more balanced

Work on circles to slow him up and possibly the 3 to 6 strides too

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, i have to disagree!!! The last thing you want to do with a young horse learning to go into canter, is to slow it down/keep bringing it back to trot!!
You want to get them going forwards properly first!! Forwards forwards forwards, then start thinking about bringing them back again!!

To make it easier for the horse and yourself (i'm not sure how long/short you ride?) but a good SJing length is about right.. try standing in your irons!! Half bridge your reins, and keep your hands kinda low (like resting on his withers) wrap your legs round him, and keep him going forwards with your weight off his back! Then, when you get a nice feel in your hand, you can start trying to slow down, but most importantly, when you start trying to slow down, keep your legs wraped round him (not kicking/gentle) otherwise you don't want him breaking back to a long trot!

siennamum

Visit site
It's a positive and I completely agree with MdM, that you should allow him to keep moving forwards. At that age I would simply let him canter out and about and on large circles and not worry too much. The mistake would be to artificially shorten the canter too early, he needs to cover plenty pf ground - which is probably what he's doing.
It'll come in time, but the best canters take time to mature.

annaellie

Visit site
I agree as above posts let the horse go forward and keep off his back its all about balance my instructor taught me canter is the last of the paces to come together so I would not worry at 4

virtual

iamanicecube.myphotoalbum.com
I've found cantering out on hacks a really good way of improving balence with a youngster (although at this time of year most of us are pretty limited due to the wet). They find it difficult balencing with you on to start with (just like many do at walk for the first few times they are ridden). While hacking you're only expecing straight lines or gentle curves, so not asking too much too fast.

As others have said, keeping the forwardness is the first priority. Some take longer than others to balence though, so being patient is a must.

RachelMcTimoney

www.mctimoney4animals.com
my 5 year old (but more like 4 yr old education wise) also rushes around like a startled rabbit to begin with! i found that when she rushes in trot i give the reins and she slows a little then try half halting her, re. canter she is great on one rein and rushes on other, on her bad rein i keep my weight light on her back and canter large or v big ovals, also try and get her to canter on bad lead when hacking, don't worry it just takes time and patience!

ROMEY

Visit site
hi i had the same problem with my pony he used to rush in his canter so we bought a passoea its really good and has taght him alot like how to balance and the correct speed this will improve his canter because he probebly isn't quite sure on his balane this will help. good luck!!!
wink.gif