Young Horsebox Drivers - presumably insurance is extortionate?

TGM

Visit site
Just wondering whether it is worth daughter taking her C1 when she is 18, so she is able to drive our 7.5 ton horsebox herself? However, as the cost of insuring her to drive even a little car is expensive, I presume insuring her to drive a horsebox is going to be an astronomical amount? Would be interested to hear from those who drive 7.5 tonners and are under 25. Is it not worth her taking her C1 til she is 25?

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
my daughter aged 18 was quoted £3.5K to drive a Skoda Octavia. To drive my 7.5 tonner was £330 and the same for a 3.5 tonne.

Jo_x

Visit site
No personal experience, but all the 18-20 year olds I know who drive 3.5t boxes say their insurance is cheap as chips - I guess the logic is you arent going to be going anywhere fast and will be careful with horses on board!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I've always heard from friends that it has been much, much cheaper to insure their newly-passed offspring to drive their landrovers and agricultural type vehicles than cars... My stepson will be going in our old banger landrover next year if he passes his test!

Arniebear

Visit site
Much much cheaper!!!! I took my c1 in sept and am insured on my mums 7.5 tonne at more than half the cost of my car insurance!! Im not the sole driver on it thou (im 24 but with a recent insurance claim for totalling my car!) if you have any questions regarding the actual test id be happy to answer any as ive recently sat mine so its still fresh in my head!! But that link ROG sent is good :)

ROG

Visit site
Little legal warning ..
If a named driver on a 7.5 policy make sure they are not the main driver because that is called fronting and invalidates insurance

becca1305

Visit site
I think mines around £500 now, named main driver (age 21) on 7.5ton. I passed my HGV when I was 18/19 and believe it was a couple of hundred more to be a secondary driver on a policy then (my Dad as main driver as at that point he drove it much more than me), however the horsebox was also a brand new conversion at that point.

TGM

Visit site
Little legal warning ..
If a named driver on a 7.5 policy make sure they are not the main driver because that is called fronting and invalidates insurance

Thanks, have seen quite a bit in the press recently about fronting. She wouldn't be the main driver, as that will still be her dad, but does give a bit of flexibility if he is unavailable, or gets knocked out whilst they are hunting!

ROG

Visit site
Thanks, have seen quite a bit in the press recently about fronting. She wouldn't be the main driver, as that will still be her dad, but does give a bit of flexibility if he is unavailable, or gets knocked out whilst they are hunting!

If DAD has passed a DSA LGV test and that is still current then he can supervise her as a learner but if only got a pre 1997 C1 then that is not allowed - rules for this changed in April 2010

Lolo

Visit site
I don't think it's horrific- Al took and passed her LGV this summer and it was within our budget, as well as going down considerably once she's been driving it for some time.

One aside: I'd book more than the 3 intensive days. Al found it exhausting to do that much driving as you use what the test centre gives you, which in her case was an enormous lorry with many gear sticks and things on top of only having passed her car test 18 months previously. Our 7.5 tonne one seems to float in comparison. If you can afford to spread it out with more lessons over a longer time frame I would...

ROG

Visit site
I should point out that a change in the rules is to happen in the next few weeks

Those with a manual car licence that then pass in an auto LGV will get manual LGV

RobinHood

Visit site
I'm 24 and there was no extra cost to add me as a named driver onto the policy for a 7.5t horse box or an 18t flat bed lorry and trailer.

I had my own 3.5t lorry for a few years and the insurance was just under £500 a year for me as the main driver plus any driver over 25 fully comp.

LittleGinger

Visit site
I'm not sure about 7.5T, but when I was under 25 the insurance on my 3.5T was £22 a month - fully comp and insured for all over 25s to drive; I also paid a one-off sum which I can't remember (£180?) to have breakdown cover where they would also send out a horsebox to take the horse home. Just so you have a comparison for 7.5T quotes so you can decide whether it's worth waiting or not.

It has always been considerably cheaper than my car insurance - I think the logic is that you won't be driving it anywhere near as much as a regular car, unlikely to be in peak times, and will be going slowly/carefully when you do.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
If DAD has passed a DSA LGV test and that is still current then he can supervise her as a learner but if only got a pre 1997 C1 then that is not allowed - rules for this changed in April 2010

quick hijack ROG does that mean my mum who passes her driving licence 37 years ago cant sit next to my sister who has her 18tonne provisional? We only have a 7.5 tonne lorry but at soke point will.be upgrading so dad saidnit would be better just to do the bigger one.

can mum.drive the 7.5 tonne? I hate it when things change:/

dad had got his class one for the last 35 years.

ps sister is 23 and as named driver on provisional and dad and anyone over 25 to.drive its £600.

ROG

Visit site
quick hijack ROG does that mean my mum who passes her driving licence 37 years ago cant sit next to my sister who has her 18tonne provisional? We only have a 7.5 tonne lorry but at soke point will.be upgrading so dad saidnit would be better just to do the bigger one.

can mum.drive the 7.5 tonne? I hate it when things change:/

dad had got his class one for the last 35 years.
If Dad's licence is current he can sit with your sister but not your mother if she is driving the 7.5t on "grandfather's rights" ie with just the car licence.
Is the right answer

fabscd

Visit site
My insurance on an E reg 7.5t at age 20 in 2006 was about £400. It was and still is much cheaper than insuring my car.

Carrots&Mints

Visit site
I'm doing my 18 tonne this year and a lady from nfu quoted me nearly £900 for a wagon! I'm 23 (nearly) and have been driving 5 years! Whys everyone else's so cheap??!

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
I'm doing my 18 tonne this year and a lady from nfu quoted me nearly £900 for a wagon! I'm 23 (nearly) and have been driving 5 years! Whys everyone else's so cheap??!

My sisters 7.5 tonne.....we haven't upgraded yet.......is insured with KBIS at £600 ish I think as her as named driver on provisional at 23.

ROG

Visit site
Well that's annoying :(

Any chance on ts for passing theory? For 18tonne? I know it as class two can't remember what it is now called.

Sister is finding it hard as it's so involved with the engine etc.

LGV C = any rigid lorry over 7.5 tonnes GVW

Loads of free LGV theory tests on the internet

DSA LGV theory test book or DVD as well as driving goods vehicles book are both essential reading

ROG

Visit site
If actually driving a LGV C vehicle and under age 21 the driver will need to pass initial driver cpc modules 2 theory and 4 practical on top of the usual theory and practical tests

Carrots&Mints

Visit site
If actually driving a LGV C vehicle and under age 21 the driver will need to pass initial driver cpc modules 2 theory and 4 practical on top of the usual theory and practical tests

Its getting expensive this driving malarky isnt it! Glad im over 21 :)