Young Horses TB When Do you Start them off

Mark Gilbert

Visit site
Just out of interest what age do you think is an ideal time to start a young TB off show jumping? I have a three year old filly driving me mad, she is itching to do more but I am a bit old fashioned and want to wait until next year, what do you think? BTW she is broken.

sj_xc_hannah_

Visit site
What I have done/what friends have also done is get the horse to the point where it has just started jumping small courses (I'm talking no bigger than 2'3 and maybe 5/6 jumps, and not often) and then give them a month/6 weeks or how ever long you like off. This is usually over the winter between there 3rd and 4th year, but obviously go by what they are like and how far along they are. If they are only just 3 then give it a while before you start them.

Polotash

Visit site
I would wait until next year. I've just backed and turned away my 3 year old despite the fact she'd like to do more.

Aces_High

Visit site
I think it depends on the horse. TB's who go hurdling would be racing over hurdles at the latter end of their third year. I know that SJ has different pressures on them compared to racing though. I don't think popping over little courses, poles etc would do them any harm. My 3yr old was popping logs, coloured poles and ditches in her third year. Again though it all depends on the animal :)

rowy

Visit site
I would no way jump a 3 year old due to the joints still maturing and their backs stil are developing. Physio has just been to do my 3 year old and she says it amazes her how floppy young joints are compared to older horses.
Even 4 year olds I don't like to jump very much.

Firewell

Visit site
Echo above. I would wait.

I got my TB when he was 4 and he was 15.3hh. He's now 7 and 16.1hh and I would say he has only just fully matured into his grown up self.

Mine didn't start jumping untill he was 4 and half :).