young traveller

ladyearl

vvv
Is it normal for a foal to be off the mare and travelled across Europe at 16weeks? Not me, nothing to do with me, just something I have seen and it seems barbaric to me but I have not been involved in breeding so know nought.

cundlegreen

Visit site
The welsh do it as a matter of course. At the welsh sales, the foals are literally taken off the mares, sent to the sale and then onwards with their new owners. They seem to survive the experience. Haven't heard of it so much with TB's though.

crabbymare

Visit site
not normal but yes it can happen. usually when they are sold either privately or at auction they stay on the mare with the breeder and are weaned from 5-7 months and then travel to the new home.as above the welsh foals here are often weaned early so that they are ready to go to the sales and some of them travel abroad.

ladyearl

vvv
OK thanks, just sad to see such a young looking foal away from its mother.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
TBH, it's barbaric. Fine if the mare was lost or unable to feed it or the foal growing too fast but to do it on purpose at that age for no other reason than to sell it is disgusting. But being near North Wales, it's typical of how some treat their stock of whichever type and those that buy them are just perpetrating the habit.

ladyearl

vvv
The folk who bought it have a mare, they have thrown the two together and as far as I can see the foal has "imprinted" on the new mare and thankfully the mare has accepted it. It's still very sad to me, even more so given the long journey the foal made to the uk having clearly been just taken off its mum. I am too idealistic, I would just like a horse to have a happier start in life!

crabbymare

Visit site
poor foal :( its a shame there is no regulation saying that except in emergency or if they have been orphaned foals under 5 months can only be travelled across borders with their mothers. but while its good that it seems to have a nanny that it can feel safe with it may end up being weaned twice if its not in a herd with other foals and gets too attached :(