Youngest Age for Freezemarking?

UnaB

Visit site
Hi,

Does anyone know what the youngest age is you can have a horse freezemarked? I want it done on the back (saddle area) so don't know if that will affect it at all.

Horse is only 18 months at the moment. Freezemark has been booked for a while but not sure when is best to get it done.

Thanks!

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I believe 12 months old is the youngest they will do it.

Just had my rising 4 pony done on the saddle area. Not being ridden at the moment as he is turned away so it was an ideal time to get it done. Lady who marked him was excellent and really put me at ease over the whole process.

Even though he is chipped I am happy he is now done as he is dark brown with no other markings, except for the ginger dipped ends on his forelock.

Nudibranch

Visit site
My last one was done at about 14 months as far as I remember and Farmkey were quite happy about it. They don't need time off obviously as they're not working!

3Beasties

Visit site
I think 12 months is the youngest they will freezemark. I had my filly freezemarked when she was about 18 months and she didn't even raise her head out of the bucket of food she was munching on. The older horses reacted far more!

ribbons

Visit site
Friend breeds Hanoverian horses and I've often seen a chap from the society putting the breed brand on foals still on their mum. I think it's hot branding though so not sure if that makes a difference.