Youngster temperaments and how they translate to adulthood

BBP

Visit site
I’m enjoying getting to know my little mid life crisis internet purchase. He is 17 months old and gorgeously fugly (that’s a little harsh, ugly duckling rather than fugly). Currently nicknamed Habibi after Klingers imaginary camel in MASH. ? I was contemplating how his temperament now is likely to translate into how he is as an adult. BBP was bat crap crazy as a 3yo and is still as mad as a bag of cats at 16. Still leaping and bouncing and being ridiculous, still with a wide eyed childlike outlook on the world, he’s like Peter Pan with ADHD. We are only 2 weeks in but small chocolate orange Irish camel pony couldn’t be more different. He’s so chill. He takes himself off to the furthest corner of the field to graze without caring where the others are, he carried on drinking at the trough this morning whilst his field buddy galloped past at high speed. He’s shy with us but self assured in himself and has the most beautiful ‘horse sense’ around the others. He had a great herd upbringing. Leaves his field buddy to follow me around whilst I poo pick. He did have one small incident where he thought he would try out his galloping legs, but clearly hasn’t yet got his provisional licence and failed to calculate the breaking distance between him and the fence. He may have more success once he finally gets his feet trimmed. He has never had them done and they are pretty dreadful. Need to master headcollaring, leading and feet handling over the next few weeks.

Do I dare hope that this will one day be a horse who I may be able to hack out alone?!! Or even take out to competitions/events without fear of death?!

BBP has taken to the new addition with all the grace of an emotionally unstable velociraptor, its all fine for a bit and then he decides he’s a stallion, so young Habibi pony has now been paired with the alpha mare, who is very kind and a much better influence on a young chap. It takes BBP a while to get over himself sometimes so there is no rush there.
E652DBDE-B292-4070-B7F1-631883ED8DE5.jpeg3CA5AF4D-81B5-4E57-8668-84A012BD2F63.jpegE1080E37-FEAE-4313-9274-B30A8801053A.jpegF4B766DC-AE70-4B02-822B-C95A198F61B9.jpeg1606615C-4F48-4BEE-823E-050EB10B7473.jpeg

eggs

Visit site
IME what they are like as youngsters temperament wise is what they will be like as an adult horse so I wouldn't hang up your competing dreams! I have bred and kept a number of foals who have all had the same basic handling and upbringing and some were spooky/suspicious foals and are now spooky/suspicious adults and some were chilled/confident foals and are chilled/confident adults and one was a space cadet from day one and still is at the grand old age of 22.

Equi

Visit site
My filly was cantering around her mum after birth before mum had even got off the floor. She’s not really stopped. She was always confident in herself and still is but she was reactive, and won’t make a good driving candidate I don’t think! Is 5 now and hasn’t changed.

Her brother (different dam) was basically a lapfoal and he is just like a dog, always first to greet me and just wants snuggles all day. I joked to a friend who had him on holiday livery when he was still a stallion that he needs a snuggle at bedtime to settle - she told me the first two nights he called out until she gave him a snuggle then he settled ? always been very calm but a thinker, so needs a hand hold now and then but once he’s done it that’s it for life. He’ll make a great driver.

Laurac13

Visit site
I am pretty sure his personality will stay the same and you will have so much fun with JC (Jaffa cake pony) in the future I luv him ?

Reactions: BBP

BBP

Visit site
Well that’s sounding pretty positive! I was slightly worried I might find a sensible one boring compared to BBP, and then I remember I’ll be 15+ years older than when I backed him, and back then sensible would have seemed the dream! BBP will always be my best mate, but I think another like him would send me round the bend

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Arabi is exactly the same as he was at 2 and he was entire until he was 4, his 17 now and his still full of life and bounces around his still worried by the same things his still a little shit with new horses.

My farrier came yesterday and we were in hysterics as he was obsessed with licking the farrier on his face and just wouldn't leave him alone.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
My mare was a kind, friendly laid back youngster. We were at a show when she was 2yo. My then 3yo son sat underneath her grooming her belly. She is still like it today. Her dam was as daft as a brush and all of her foals were easy to do. One mare I purchased as a foal loved people right from the start.

Durhamchance

Visit site
This is good to hear! We're collecting my first weanling next weekend all being well and he seems to be such a friendly laid back chap. I could do with something a bit calmer now I'm at the age where I'm breaking instead of bouncing

NinjaPony

Visit site
I really think horses have an ‘innate’ temperament that can be improved/ruined by humans, but those inner qualities always stay there. My Welshie has always been a firecracker according to his breeder and age 21 is still sharp and spooky. My connie was laidback, calm, chilled out and sensible and he came out of the womb like that, and was lucky enough to only have good life experiences which reinforced it.

Asha

Visit site
Most of mine have been very sweet tempered and have stayed that way. Harry was always a monkey, from a few weeks old he would jump anything, that included the odd dock in the field, as he got older he would jump into the other field to be with his friends. He turned out to be a very nice SJer, and loved it.
The worst we had was a WB filly . We bought her dam in foal, and she was supposed to be by Zambesi , we found out after the DNA was taken for the passport there had a been a cockup . She was by a completely different stallion. From the minute she was born she was suspicious/awkward. She turned out to be the same under saddle too. The breeder had a couple of others by the same stallion and they all had a similar attitude.
The easiest has to be Frank, born chilled out and grew up like that. Under saddle the most horizontal 4yo ive bred.

Your lad is gorgeous, i imagine his personality will start to show over the coming months,

AdorableAlice

Visit site
A kind and peaceful dam will pass that to her foal. Those 6 months spent with the dam are a crucial learning time for them and as long as the foal it not overhandled or made a fool of they should stay that way in general. Always an exception of course and breed types have an obvious input.

I have a 10 year old whose dam was basically feral from what I was told, he was a nightmare for years with anxiety and nerves. Although he has turned into a lovely horse and his trust and confidence level is at an all time high now, there is still an underlying flight and panic trait in him, and his handling has to reflect that especially given his huge size. In the wrong hands he would be very misunderstood.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
I have a 10 year old whose dam was basically feral from what I was told, he was a nightmare for years with anxiety and nerves. Although he has turned into a lovely horse and his trust and confidence level is at an all time high now, there is still an underlying flight and panic trait in him, and his handling has to reflect that especially given his huge size.

This is interesting AA as my previous horse was exactly as you’ve described. Extremely anxiety and nerves, it did get better over the 6 years I owned him but he always had the anxiety which was triggered by random things. His dam was wild her entire life, as were his sire and rest of the herd he came from.

My new filly is as laid back as they go, happy on her own and generally a nice horse to be around without the nerve she might spook and stand on you. I really hope as she grows she doesn’t loose that side to her.

Annagain

Visit site
The only one of 'mine' whose full history is known is Monty. He was apparently so horizontal as a foal that he'd sleep in the open door way of the stable and humans and other horses used to have to step over him to get in and out. He didn't care where his mum was unless he was hungry. My friend bought him at 5 and he's no different at 25 than he was then. We always used to say he was born 20, it just felt like he'd been here before. He wouldn't know how to nap or misbehave in any way. He'd very occasionally do a bunny hop buck if he was very excited but I think I could count them on the fingers of two hands in the 20 years we've had him. Normally, excited for him is pricking his ears and waiting to be asked to come back to trot rather than stopping the second you ease up on him in canter! He's always been very self sufficient, never letting any horse get too close to him except Archie and that's because Archie won't take no for an answer, while being very unthreatening.

Last edited:

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
My mare had two filly foals before retiring to live with me. Both were by the same stallion. The mare has a superb temperament, easiest horse I have ever dealt with. The first filly had the same superb temperament. Her breeder has kept in touch with her new owner and been given lots of updates, still a lovely girl. The second was completely different, nervy from the moment go and not easy to handle. The breeder, a good friend of mine is brilliant at handling youngstock and all her foals have the best upbringing possible. The only difference between these foals is that when the mare was close to foaling the second one, a dog from the local traveller camp got in and chased her, literally swinging off her tail. My friend being brave tackled the travellers about it and they did keep the dog away for awhile but then it was caught in with her again and this time she had obviously been caught up in the fence and had lacerated a front leg, back and front and strained her tendon. I don't know if that stress could be passed through to the foal in utero but it would certainly explain the temperament if it could.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
This is interesting AA as my previous horse was exactly as you’ve described. Extremely anxiety and nerves, it did get better over the 6 years I owned him but he always had the anxiety which was triggered by random things. His dam was wild her entire life, as were his sire and rest of the herd he came from.

My new filly is as laid back as they go, happy on her own and generally a nice horse to be around without the nerve she might spook and stand on you. I really hope as she grows she doesn’t loose that side to her.

The horse I described is fascinating and he has taught me so much. He was traffic proof from the word go which was odd, but I found out the feral herd his mother was in was fed off the back of a tractor. He has absolutely no issues with any size of machine, which proved great because we are very agricultural and see lots of machines. As a baby I would hold him on the drive to see the tractors going past. He was more worried about me coughing or the headcollar rope dangling than he was about massive traffic.

His issue was and remains people not 'things'. He trusts his own little band of carers but if a stranger arrives he goes introverted.

ihatework

Visit site
Between a friend and I we have on an ongoing basis 8-10 youngsters/broodies that we deal with on a daily basis, foals - 3yos.
It’s fascinating to watch their personalities, trends and differences in siblings and how you can mould behaviours over time.
Doing the babies really is the highlight of my day.
It’s definitely a balance of nature versus nurture. Their default will always be there but it is possible, if done at the right time in the right way to change/develop it in the direction that makes human lives easier!

tristar

Visit site
i have found the horse is there, sometimes hours after birth! the vet said the foal is not easy at 12 hours old, he is still the same grown up

the horse is there generally as a yearling, if its nervous then its probably going to be nervous at 5, not talking here about handling more about environmental reactions

Goldenstar

Visit site
A kind and peaceful dam will pass that to her foal. Those 6 months spent with the dam are a crucial learning time for them and as long as the foal it not overhandled or made a fool of they should stay that way in general. Always an exception of course and breed types have an obvious input.

I have a 10 year old whose dam was basically feral from what I was told, he was a nightmare for years with anxiety and nerves. Although he has turned into a lovely horse and his trust and confidence level is at an all time high now, there is still an underlying flight and panic trait in him, and his handling has to reflect that especially given his huge size. In the wrong hands he would be very misunderstood.

I owned the most wonderful mare that I bought out of a pro yard .
She had a quirk she did not like the field she was calm and wonderful in the stable and although with work we did get her over time to accept some turnout she never liked it .
I opted not to breed from her it was a hard choice because she was magic ride sharp responsive quick and I loved her dearly .
For me the risk that she produced the a child the same in the field was just a risk I did not want to take .

Surbie

Visit site

I have a giant lapcob, but he has the same underlying flight and panic reflex. Everything has to be about staying calm, giving him time, repetition and finding variety to keep him desensitised.

My_old_warmblood

Visit site
I have a rescue I adopted when he was supposedly 4 but he was really delayed mentally and physically, seemed more like a 2 y/o. He was absolutely bonkers- would try to kick me, reared and smacked me on the shoulder, bolted while leading and got lodged between a stable and a hard place (had to crawl in beside him to reverse him out while he was kicking off and his field mate, my other horse, was loosing it in said stable). I started breaking him this summer (rising 7) and he’s been an absolute saint after a failed attempt last year. He’s perfect to lunge, easier to mount than most broken horses etc. He’s absolutely perfect now, and if I ever get around to finishing breaking him in, he’ll be a great little lad. He was really scraggly and ugly to begin with, but he’s so handsome now.
My 7 y/o was psychotic and I was told to sell him on as he’d never settle, but at 11 he’s such a superstar I’d stick my Nan on him. It wasn’t my doing either, he just realised that people were rather nice and it was best to behave.
many horses go from being absolute nutcases to being dobbins, but I’ve never heard of them going the other way for no good reason. Just make sure you enforce boundaries, feed him well and start basic ground work (leading, backing up etc) as soon as he seems ready.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
My friend bred several foals from her Dales mare who was quiet and friendly but quite strong willed. Most were Dales and like the mother. One year she put her to a sports horse and this foal was a demon from the start. He would attack people in the field when he was only a yearling which I've never seen before in such a youngster. He turned out to be far too much for my friend when he was broken in and was sold to a strong willed young woman who liked a challenge. He was quite good X country but he's over 20 now and still as ornery and awkward as ever.

SEL

Visit site
I find nature vs nurture discussions interesting.

My Appy mare lost her dam shortly after birth and was sold on as a neurotic, stressy, bolshy yearling. She is still that horse rising 12, although knows her humans and her herd which helps.

I was never sure whether it was the result of losing her dam or she would have been like it anyway, until I found out her full brother did a stint of RDA work. Apparently he was reliable, sane but with a bit more pep than they wanted so he went into a private home. You certainly wouldn't put his sister in the line up for RDA work, so I think that separation from her dam at a few days old really did cause a lot of harm. Not a surprise really, but I found it interesting.

Shoei

Visit site
This is good to hear! We're collecting my first weanling next weekend all being well and he seems to be such a friendly laid back chap. I could do with something a bit calmer now I'm at the age where I'm breaking instead of bouncing

My weanling is coming home in a fortnight and I too am relieved that the general consensus is they retain their personality, baby Raymond already seems much more confident than 14 year old Chester, which to be honest, as much as I love Chester, is great as he is a total primadonna

millikins

Visit site
I'm liking all your answers. Our Dales colt is a sweetie, much gentler so far than his mother so I hope he stays like that. Mum's o.k. I like, respect and admire her but she isn't cuddly and not one you'd take liberties with or allow to take liberties with you.