Youngster vs Schoolmaster, which do you prefer?

PaddyMonty

Visit site
I currently ride several horses for different owners.
One horse is very much a schoolmaster, super to ride, does what you ask when you ask without any drama. Second horse is now well established, again does what is requested. The other two are both very green youngsters.
Given the choice I definitely prefer riding the youngsters. Just seems so much more satisfying when you do get what you want.

So which do you prefer and why?

team barney

Visit site
I love them both for different reasons.

The excellent thing about a lot of (not all) schoolmasters is they teach you to be very exact with your aids as the won't do a thing if you are a tiny bit out. A highly schooled very exacting school master is the perfect starting place when learning the finer elements of dressage in my opinion and I love them for it.

I adore the challenge of bringing on a youngster (preferably unbacked) though. Training them up to be sensitive to your aids, never letting them become dead in the mouth (like so many horses end up from their heavy handed riders). Coaxing them in to performing those moves which come so naturally in the field.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I've never ridden a schoolmaster - I only own youngsters and my old cob who is more of a hackmaster... Used to ride other people's problem horses - some of whom were quite well schooled under the lack of manners, but none I think could be classed as schoolmasters.

Pocket_Rocket

Visit site
I like school masters but to me they are the easy option you ask them to do something and they just do it. I find youngsters far more rewarding as they are more of a challenge but you can educate them the way you want to where as some school masters are more set in their ways. I prefer a blank canvas so to speak because all of that hard work eventually pays off and makes it so worthwhile.

Puzzles

Visit site
I've never ridden a schoolmaster either. I would love to have a few lessons on one as I am sure I would learn a bucketload from one. However I am really passionate about young horses. I love their honesty, blank slatedness, character, teaching them life skills, sense of fun & above all, their quirks!! :)

annaellie

Visit site
Youngsters hands down I love that feeling of satisfaction when the youngster does something for the first time that you have been teaching it an the progression of youngsters you carnt quite beat it :D

rhino

Visit site
Youngsters. I make a far better crash test dummy than 'rider' :eek: :rolleyes:

I am looking into getting some schoolmaster lessons this year, I do ride a few horses who would be classed as 'well schooled' but they all have their issues :rolleyes: :)

Kenzo

Visit site
Both, it's enjoyable and rewarding to bring on a youngster but equally nice to be reminded of what it's like to ride a horse that doesn't question what you ask, it just does it ...and does it well, like a breath of fresh air when I look back. :rolleyes:

I've been luck enough to have had a few school master types in the past while growing up but equally I've had a mixture of naughty ponies, more mentally challanging types or youngsters and I always go back for further punishiment. :D

Captain Bridget

Visit site
At this stage in my riding I would prefer a schoolmaster. My first share was an almost schoolmaster, he was great for my confidence and I really felt I was learning with him. Unfortunately he injured himself, had to have 6 months off and then moved yards too far from me.
My second share was a green 7 year old. Great for hacking but schooling was almost impossible! I didn't have the knowledge to correct the mistakes other people had made with him. Although I did learn as I went along.
For some reason I'm going to see a 5 year old soon, for a possible share. But he sounds like a sane 5 year old with a good base knowledge. And being a 15.2hh cob hopefully a bit easier to keep together and school properly. And for this reason I'm going to look for an instructor to come and give me lessons if I decide to go ahead with it. I want to improve the horse and myself.

When I eventually get my own horse it'll probably be a been there done it type. I still have a lot to learn and although I can do some, and am a competent rider, to get futher the horse would have to have some knowledge too.

Visit site
Both! :) Having had the fantastic opportunity to ride one of Ruth Edge's ex-eventers which won Blair Castle at 2* and 3* Level, I think riding a schoolmaster from time to time would do anyone good. He showed me what it felt like to do proper flying changes, etc and I could really tell how much work Ruth must have put into schooling him to such a high level - he was fantastic to ride! :) I do love working with youngsters though. I enjoy the challenges of teaching them new things and learning what training approach suits each of them best. It's also very rewarding to school a horse on yourself, too.

marmalade76

Visit site
I currently have a PC schoolmaster. I bought him because I have two young children and don't have consistant free time to put in schooling work, etc and need something I can drag out of the field and get on even if it's had a few weeks off. I also need to build my confidence as it has disappeared after a few years of very limited riding.

In a perfect world, however, I would have one of each!

Jazzy B

Visit site
I currently have a PC schoolmaster. I bought him because I have two young children and don't have consistant free time to put in schooling work, etc and need something I can drag out of the field and get on even if it's had a few weeks off. I also need to build my confidence as it has disappeared after a few years of very limited riding.

^^^^^^ this too :)