Youngsters and Spatial Awareness

Gypley

Visit site
I've had my 2year old for about three weeks now. Prior to me, his old owner had him turned out in a field and he was lucky to get an ' aww, good pony' pat on her way past the field.

Consiquently he has very little in the manners department. He's not naughty or nasty in any way. There is not a bad bone in his body.

The problem is, he's just so damn big!(already pushing 16hh at 27months) he forgets that the end of his legs are great big dinner plates, and they blinking hurt when they land on top of your boots! He forgets that when he turns around, he should allow enough room so as not to catapult me across the field ... The list goes on.

Is this something he will learn with time and guidance? Or should I be being more assertive now? I find it hard to get the balance between not telling him off (because at the end of the day he doesn't mean it, he's just a baby) and not letting him get away with it.

LizzieWizzie

Visit site
I've had my 2year old for about three weeks now. Prior to me, his old owner had him turned out in a field and he was lucky to get an ' aww, good pony' pat on her way past the field.

Consiquently he has very little in the manners department. He's not naughty or nasty in any way. There is not a bad bone in his body.

The problem is, he's just so damn big!(already pushing 16hh at 27months) he forgets that the end of his legs are great big dinner plates, and they blinking hurt when they land on top of your boots! He forgets that when he turns around, he should allow enough room so as not to catapult me across the field ... The list goes on.

Is this something he will learn with time and guidance? Or should I be being more assertive now? I find it hard to get the balance between not telling him off (because at the end of the day he doesn't mean it, he's just a baby) and not letting him get away with it.

Hiya... Realise this is an old post, but searching for tips on improving spatial awareness in a youngster I've happened upon your post... Was just wondering how you had got on with you youngster and if you had any advice for someone in a similar situation...

My youngster (now 3, was rising 3 when he came to me) has made big improvements and when focused is getting much better at where he places his feet, but when he's distracted by anything, food, other horses, something spooks him he has nooooooo consideration at all for what's around him. He is also huge! TB x ID currently standing at 16.2 (and bum high!!) any tips greatly appreciated! Thanks! :)