Your Balou Babies?

Lark

Visit site
I know there are quiet a few on here who have very nice Balou babies and I wonder can I do a quick whip around to see what heights they have made?
If you could also give the height of the mare that would be even better again.

GinnieRedwings

Visit site
I used a Balou son on my mare 3 years ago (Bon Balou) & he is about 16.3hh. Obviously, I don't know about his dam, apart from she is by Argentinus out of a Landadel mare, so probably in the region of 16.2hh would be my guess.

Last edited:

Lark

Visit site
Google Lynaire Sport Horses.They have two cracking mares by him.

Yes I have oggled them many times :)
I was just interested in made heights as it has been mentioned to me that they can be quite handy and that a taller mare would suit him best; around the 16.3hh mark.
I had hoped to use him last year but the 3yr old was still quite immature. She is 4 now but around the 16.1 1/2hh and a maiden obviously.

Lark

Visit site
I used a Balou son on my mare 3 years ago (Bon Balou) & he is about 16.3hh. Obviously, I don't know about his dam, apart from she is by Argentinus out of a Landadel mare, so probably in the region of 16.2hh would be my guess.

OH wow he is absolutely stunning.
Any pics of your one GR?

volatis

www.volatis.co.uk
They do generally tend to be on the smaller side. I work with a lot of Balou offspring and certainly wouldnt use him to add height. Of course there are exceptions and we had a particuarly tall, about 17.1hh plus, 4yo by him out of an Acord II mare, but usually they are 16-16.2hh.
At the moment on our list we have one 5yo mare by him who is 15.2hh at the most and lightly made but very pretty, a 6yo stallion who is about 16.1-2hh and good bone and a super stamp, and until very recently a 7yo mare who was about 16.0hh and medium framed and the plainest of the 3. All out of different mare lines.

I love what Balou produces personally, sensitive, often very attractive heads and good toplines, good movers, but often a bit stiff through the body.

Lark

Visit site
They do generally tend to be on the smaller side. I work with a lot of Balou offspring and certainly wouldnt use him to add height. Of course there are exceptions and we had a particuarly tall, about 17.1hh plus, 4yo by him out of an Acord II mare, but usually they are 16-16.2hh.
At the moment on our list we have one 5yo mare by him who is 15.2hh at the most and lightly made but very pretty, a 6yo stallion who is about 16.1-2hh and good bone and a super stamp, and until very recently a 7yo mare who was about 16.0hh and medium framed and the plainest of the 3. All out of different mare lines.

I love what Balou produces personally, sensitive, often very attractive heads and good toplines, good movers, but often a bit stiff through the body.

Thank you ever so much Volatis. Fantastic feedback.
Interesting that they can be quite stiff through the body.
I will need to do some thinking, at least I should have another 4 weeks.

cruiseline

www.ipcmedia.com
I would agree with everything Volatis has said, with the exception of the stiffness, ours are all a supple as cats. Our Balou fillies are all on the smaller side 16 - 16.1 but I don't think they have finished growing yet! I think that they are quite late maturers.

I really love what Balou Du Rouet brings forward and would use him again in a heart beat.

IMG_1918-1.jpg

310805_10150767921610182_723365181_20689005_4289860_n-1.jpg

BabsAddington1-1.jpg

Last edited:

Lark

Visit site
Thanks very much cruiseline. They are two stunning girls and I have been stalking their progress.

Tinks81

Visit site
mine seemed like a pony last year as a 4yo but after turning her away for the winter she has matured and grown into a lovely horse - I think she will end up 16.2hh nice slight frame and she is also really supple has amazing paces and a fantastic temprement ! Her dam is 16.1hh and i am about to breed a full brother/sister too

Here is mine jumping last week
http://youtu.be/iBDkrLCOlhU

home5-1.jpg

home4-1.jpg

home3.jpg

home2-1.jpg

home1-1.jpg

home6.jpg

weston

Visit site
I am very interested to hear your remarks about Balou du Rouet youngsters, I have bred many horses, including two by Balou du Rouet, I used him the first year he stood at stud in Germany, buying the semen from Schockemohle,.
The first time to a mare by Ohio(Burggraaf), we had also bred this mares dam and both were very laid back types, however the Balou du Rouet filly was wild from day one.
We could not touch her, get near her in any way. All the filly's share barns in the winter from weaning to 3 year olds, all the others could not get enough of us but this one was VERY suspicious, would not let us touch her let alone handle her.
Spent loads of extra time with her to gain her confidence and trust to no avail.
Spent 6 months trying to get her quiet enough to put a saddle on her(she would try to climb the wall if you tried to touch her).
After a year she was able to be ridden carefully in an enclosed area, then one day the girl forgot and patted her neck, she mare went made, bucked her off and we were back to square one.
Had another filly by him out of a different mare by Lux Z, easier to get to ridden stage but.

Ultra sensitive, suspicious and sharp.

Went to one of the top yards with my daughter when she went for training and this mare proceeded to throw their top riders to the extend that no one would ride her.
Please bear in mind that we have bred and produced more than 100 horses and never seen this extend if nervous sensitivity.
Was I just unlucky? I had a Polish groom working for me at the time who said that in Poland they used to draw straws when it came to backing a Balou du Rouet.

One thing they both could do was jump, they loved it? I remember one of them once chugging my daughter off and then jumping loose round the course of jumps that was up, giving everything feet to spare, I think she was saying, there, that's what you get if you can stay on.

I look forward to your views because I really like the stallion.

Last edited:

mellissa

Visit site
I think they are lovely but I have to admit I have actually seen three for sale as broodmares because they are too sharp.

They move well and jump super- I think the stud fee is so reasonable and I love the pedigree. I could not use him in a million years on mare as she is so hot.

I would buy one though that had been ridden already.

volatis

www.volatis.co.uk
tinks81, now that really has the look of a Balou baby!

Just out of interest, does anyone who has bred to Balou in the past, ever consider breeding to his sire Baloubet DR instead? Afterall he is working his way higher and higher up the international rankings and yet I rarely see people posting questions about using him. personally I like the influence of Continue in what Balou produces, hence I would use him over his sire for my personal taste, but I just wondered why more people dont use Baloubet

linali

www.linali-stud.com
well Volatis, We have done just that :) !!! We have have a rising 2 year old by Balou who is lovely but very clever, she doesnt miss a trick! Her dam, by Volatire is currently about 2 months off having her Baloubet baby. I cant wait to compare them. I do agree re the Continue influence though. Part of the reason for choosing Balou over Baloubet must be the cost and stud conditions, he was not cheap to use.

wigum

Visit site
mine seemed like a pony last year as a 4yo but after turning her away for the winter she has matured and grown into a lovely horse - I think she will end up 16.2hh nice slight frame and she is also really supple has amazing paces and a fantastic temprement ! Her dam is 16.1hh and i am about to breed a full brother/sister too

Here is mine jumping last week
http://youtu.be/iBDkrLCOlhU

What is the damline Tinks? what did you find he added/improved on?

liannexsx

Visit site
I have one out of a 15.3/16hh odysseus mare. My girl is 3 and standing at 16.1hh.
Wish I hadn't read this now as I have to back her myself!! She is a bit sensitive but kind and quick to learn. Very easily worked up!
She was scottish sports horse overall yearling champion of 2010.
I love her - just hope I can stay on!
Her mother is due end of April to Vdl silverstone

Lark

Visit site
Tinks wow what a stamp of the sire. Fantastic jump and soo attractive.

The views on temperament are slightly worrying. The mare is by Guidam and very blood. She is quite cold in her temperament but opinionated, easy enough to break however.
I do not particularly want to add high sensitivity to the equation :(
Damn I was 98% there in terms of teaming her up with Balou but may need to rethink.
Cruiseline and Tinks how were yours in terms of temperament?

cruiseline

www.ipcmedia.com
They have all been pocket ponies to handle. The filly out of the Cruise On dam is as laid back as they come, the pony club kick is back in fashion with her........... The filly out of the Sandro Z dam line is a little more sensitive (but all her foals have been), I say that only because the other is so horizontal, it make her look sharper, but she really isn't! I have no issues with their temperaments, you can do anything with either of them.

I do however have an issue with the Balou x Sandro mare and rolling in the stable. She manages to get herself cast at least 6 times a week no matter what we do with her or how big her box is. She is a nightmare for digging up the banks and having a really good roll at any time of the day and because she is so supple she flips herself over every time.............

Edited to say, she also manages to get herself back out of the situation and back on her feet 9 times out of 10 without any human assistance...........................

Last edited:

GinnieRedwings

Visit site
Sorry Lark, I'll put a picture of Max (Bon Balou X ISH) on when I'm home (I missed your original request :))

For what it's worth, because Max is only a grandson of Balou, Max is sensitive, but in all the right ways. He is also very laid back and generally quiet and easy to handle - unlike his mother and half sister (by Garuda K) who are opinionated and very sharp. That being said, at 2 years old, I haven't put him under much pressure yet. He was good, well behaved and quiet going to the Futurity. I brought him in at the week end for a groom, for the 1st time since the autumn, and he stood there tied up for an hour without batting an eyelid. He went through a stage of spooking at his own shaddow at about a year old. Since then, a dream. :D (she says touching wood swiftly)

Lark

Visit site
Phew thanks guys for telling me really what I want to hear :)
I had found myself thinking of switching him to the Cruising mare (A calm quiet one ;)).

I have been whittering on about using Balou for about 3yrs now so I think I will just go with it and see what happens.

liannexsx

Visit site
Myas dam is hot and opinionated. Mya herself thinks she has an opinion but really wouldn't know what to do with it. She stresses tho. Sometimes we just have to break things down and do them in baby steps, especially as I'm too small to fight it out. There's pics in my profile. I'd def use balou again! And hope for more balou spots! Mya has about 3

Tinks81

Visit site
tinks81, now that really has the look of a Balou baby!

Just out of interest, does anyone who has bred to Balou in the past, ever consider breeding to his sire Baloubet DR instead? Afterall he is working his way higher and higher up the international rankings and yet I rarely see people posting questions about using him. personally I like the influence of Continue in what Balou produces, hence I would use him over his sire for my personal taste, but I just wondered why more people dont use Baloubet

Thank you !!!!! I must say mine is not sharp but is extremely clever and will know if anything has moved out of position!! It is also the reason i dont compete her and get louise pavitt too i dont think you could miss her at a fence!!

I broke mine at home she was so well behaved never put a foot wrong !!

Personally i also like the influence of Continue I have heard baloubet are even sharper !!

Tinks81

Visit site
Tinks wow what a stamp of the sire. Fantastic jump and soo attractive.

The views on temperament are slightly worrying. The mare is by Guidam and very blood. She is quite cold in her temperament but opinionated, easy enough to break however.
I do not particularly want to add high sensitivity to the equation :(
Damn I was 98% there in terms of teaming her up with Balou but may need to rethink.
Cruiseline and Tinks how were yours in terms of temperament?

My mare is by Elton and a bit of a lunatic to be honest but very kind and quite brave - I was also a little worried but mine is perfect in every way!! I must say though i have mine at home and handle them regularly and get trust with them from when they are babies x

Lark

Visit site
My mare is by Elton and a bit of a lunatic to be honest but very kind and quite brave - I was also a little worried but mine is perfect in every way!! I must say though i have mine at home and handle them regularly and get trust with them from when they are babies x

Thank you again Tinks. If I ended up with one like yours I would be quite happy.

Tinks81

Visit site
Thank you again Tinks. If I ended up with one like yours I would be quite happy.

I hope i end up with another one next year like this one!! She jumped her first newcomers Saturday and was double clear x

good luck let us know how you get on x

volatis

www.volatis.co.uk
When I said sensitive, this is not in a bad way. Just they are not big thugs, bolshy or brain dead like some lines in the barn LOL. They are usually gentle on the ground and dont take to rough handling. Does that make sense. I like the personalities a lot but then I like Trakehners and Thoroughbreds too. I would actually use Balou on a sharp/quick reacting mare (under saddle) but I wouldnt use him if I wanted to breed a big strong tough personality.

weston

Visit site
Hi, thank you for all your replies regarding Balou du Rouet babies, I am really pleased that my two were not the usual. When I spoke to James from Elite stallions he said he actually recommends him as a sire for sharp mares.
It is always a gamble mixing bloodlines, which is why I am so interested in your replies.
Good luck with all your Balou babies in the future.