Your best ever horse/tack/feeding/grooming/stable tips!

Orchardbeck

Visit site
Apologies, posted before I'd finished typing! Just wondering what your best ever horse related tips or advice would be - hoping to learn a thing or two...!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
When I got my grey I was advised to 'embrace the mud' and it was a good tip as it stopped me becoming anal about trying to keep her clean (which would have been a losing battle anyway). :D

I don't know how I coped during moulting time before I had a shedding blade, they are great.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Forget the scrubbing and brushing, a cup of linseed is your friend.

Put manners in young, mean it and don't give mixed messages. Done correctly the horse is set up for life.

Ditch tight nosebands, bin bling and appreciate how a horse moves in a correctly fitted saddle.

Ensure you train your husband how to operate the yard broom.

Orchardbeck

Visit site
Loving these already, thanks guys! Having just bought a grey sec A Faracat I am gingerly dipping my toe in embracing the dirt - she is not one for a precious lifestyle! Alice - totally get the tight noseband and linseed is now my go to energy food and all rounder - must have picked up something from this site! X

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site

Put manners in young, mean it and don't give mixed messages. Done correctly the horse is set up for life.

Ditch tight nosebands, bin bling and appreciate how a horse moves in a correctly fitted saddle.

^^^ This, especially the last one.

I'd also add:

Ten minutes of good productive groundwork, just spending time with the horse and teaching it boundaries are worth an hour in the arena

Getting off and walking past an obstacle is NOT a sign of weakness

Make your farrier your best friend, and look after him well. Be loyal and don't jump from one to the other.

The best thing to do with artificial training aids (IMO) is to build a big bonfire.........

If you want the results you've always had, then just keep doing the things you've always done (Michael Peace said this, or words to the effect of, I cannot take credit for it, but it's VERY true).

"It's not 'unting on the 'ill wot 'urts the 'osses feet, but 'ammer, 'ammer, 'ammer on the 'ard 'igh road" (Surtees??)

Sorry (edited) forgot to include:

Don't ever be conned into buying expensive supplements: buy the individual/natural ingredients - and try ONE thing at a time

Always patch test any new products first, without fail

Last edited:

3OldPonies

Visit site
Some good ones there AdorableAlice and MiJodsAre2BlinkinTite (mine are as well btw at the moment :( )

I think the most valuable ones for me are:

'no foot, no horse'

and

'always put your horse's comfort before your own' - I think Thelwell did a cartoon for that one, all to do with sorting your horse out before you go off for your tea at the end of a long day, also referred to in Black Beauty when BB ended up with a chill after not being rugged properly having been hard at work out in a storm.

Oh, and a real personal one - if they bolt, don't try to get off yourself, stick with it if you can until they slow down (I've 'dismounted' twice, once ended up with a broken nose and ribs, and the second time with severe concussion) but the times I've hung on in there = no injuries!

blitznbobs

Visit site

This except for 'bin the bling' arghh I have to have my blingy browband or what is the point

vmac66

Visit site
As a new horse owner who has been given lots of well meaning advice I would say remember he or she is your horse and go what you feel is right for you both

Merrymoles

Visit site
As an old and valued friend of mine always says, "they don't go any better for brushing". Therefore, if you are short of time, use it to do what you really want to do (riding or groundwork or whatever) rather than feeling you have to spend hours cleaning and polishing. If they are clean under their tack, then that's the only essential.

That'll be why I often go out on a filthy horse with a mane like a bog brush then... ;)

QueenDee_

Visit site
Trust your gut instinct, you know your horse best so if you think something isn't quite right, it probably isn't!

HashRouge

Visit site
I've picked up all sorts while working as an SJ groom, some of which are incredibly useful and I think I will try to keep doing now I've left. Mainly geared towards keeping the horse or the yard tidy!

- Don't brush tails. It really does pull out the hair and over time, will noticeably thin the tail. The difference between the tails of horses that have been on our yard for a long time and recent arrivals is sometimes astonishing! Might not make a lot of difference for a cob with a mega tail, but for the warmbloods I worked with there was no denying it made a difference!

- If you want to keep a tidy yard, pick hooves out before you take the horse out of the stable. Could never stop doing this now I'm used to it!

- Use cotton/ summer sheets under stable rugs. Especially useful if you don't have easy access to a washing machine for thicker rugs, as it means you can keep your horse's inside layer clean.

- Don't bother buying expensive shampoos, nothing beats the cheapo budget shampoo from the supermarket and a bit of fairy liquid for white socks.

- Plaiting unruly manes over really does help. Also, don't be afraid to let a mane lie on the wrong side if that's the way it naturally falls, it will look a lot smarter! And with a bit of practice, you can get a very good, tidy mane using scissors.

- If a horse is introduced to the clippers by someone who knows what they're doing, they will almost certainly be fine to clip for the rest of their lives. Don't let some idiot with massive, incredibly noisy clippers and no idea what they're doing create a problem where there really shouldn't be one!

There are so many others, but these are some of the main ones!

Last edited:

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
Perfect practise makes perfect :)

You can change your horse, tack etc but the most important (& hardest thing) is to change yourself. If something isn't working- change your tactic.

Don't ever turn back on yourself while hacking.

They are my 3 top tips! :)

rowan666

Visit site
you really don't need more than one!, no matter how you justify and make excuses ;)

always put horse/pony before yourself

good manners cost nothing but mean everything (this aplies to both horses and owners!)

Jo1987

Visit site
For the most part, nosebands and martingales are just extra things to clean and get caught on gates!

Rather than have rugs washed and reproofed professionally, I just hose off the outside and give them a scrub on the inside with warm soapy water and a broom, then reproof myself. Far cheaper and seems to do the job well enough.

fishy

Visit site
Never go anywhere empty handed. Why make 2 journeys when you don't need to.

Have all your travelling things in a crate/box stored in your box/trailer. Just pick it up and go.

Keep it simple - applies to everything.

And as has already been said. It's your horse, you know it best.

Enjoy xx

only_me

Visit site
Buy quality tack - may be more expensive at start but lasts longer than the cheap stuff

Never brush a tail, always use your fingers to separate the strands.

You are allowed to make mistakes, it's ok, no one is perfect! Learn and move on :)

Just because some people get a bit fanatical that all horses should be barefoot doesn't mean that yours should! Shoeing a horse is normal too!

when plaiting a mane, wet it first so that all the short stray hairs stick in plait :)

sandi_84

Visit site
If you are trimming a tail remember to have someone put an arm under if to mimic natural carriage and step back often to check length rather than straightness, no one will notice slight unlevelness but they will notice a too short tail!
I learned this the hard way as did my mum recently, the upside is hair grows back thankfully ;)

Feed and rug according to the horses individual needs not to what others are doing.

Listen to others views as you may learn something but always do what is right for the horse.

Sometimes the instructor is wrong for you or you disagree on training methods, have the confidence to change if you don't feel the instructor suits you or asks you to do something with the horse you don't agree with.

Remember to let yourself have lots of fun because that's what it's all about! :D

Crumpet

Visit site
Clip a wound up leadrope onto your saddle when hacking, if you break a rein it saves walking home, cheap aqueous cream makes good hoof conditioner. Always have at least public liability insurance it doesn't cost alot and can be invaluable as I found out when my two were maliciously let out of their field and ended up on the cricket field, they had a hoon and did a fair job of churning it up! Only feed what your horse needs and don't let them get fat!

Walrus

Visit site
It's fine to listen to everyone but take advice from a select few who you know know what they're taking about. Choose your experts and stick with them.

Get a good instructor, not a friend at the yard, not the cheapest in area, get a good one who understands you and your horse and visit them as much as money will allow.

Don't always trust the local saddle fitter, go with your gut and what your horse tells you.

But by the same token, make sure your saddle fits, your bit suits the horse and your browband is not too tight!