Your best horsey bonding/confidence building tip?

LauraBR

Visit site
Things are going well with my new boy, but we both seem to wind each other up a little bit sometimes and I'm working hard to build up his trust in me, getting there slowly but wondered if anyone had any nice tips for exercises to do other than the usual?

RunToEarth

Visit site
When Oshk and I wernt getting on I spent the night with him
smile.gif

MagicMelon

Visit site
Try to find his itchy spot! I found my newest horses one yesterday so I just started itching really hard (by his wither) and he turned his head and started doing me too! (like 2 horses groom each other). Was so sweet.....! I think being treated like another horse is the best feeling because they have accepted you. I have the odd arguement with one of my other horses, he gets cranky and I get cranky! But all I need to do to make him love me again is rub him behind his ears. He turns his head round and like pins me to him with his head in my arms and just stays there for a while getting stroked. So cute!

Blackhawk

sublimedesigns.moonfruit.com
When J and I didn't get on I spent lots and lots of time just being with him. Working with him on the ground in the school and spending time in his field letting him come to me if he wanted to.

Hornby

Visit site
I found doing some TREC type obstacles helpful - she didn't trust me to start with (walking over sacks on ground, over plywood, over plastic) but showed her on ground what to do, then asked on back. She tried for me and trusted me and was prepared to engage brain - which I found a positive thing. I leanrt to ask very clearly and quietly for what I wanted, and let her work it out. Lots of praise for good actions. This has worked well for TREC competitions and monsters met out on hacks.

Pidge

Visit site
Echo others, time is the best thing you can give your horse. Spend time with him grooming him, just being with him, play with him. When I got Pidge I thought he had no personality, now I play with his muzzle which he loves, grab his tongue which he sticks out for me to grab, play chase in the field, he follows me everywhere in the field if I'm poo picking and nuzzles my back when I stop to get a poo! He never gets treats as he then gets too nibbly so I assume its my company he likes? It will come with your new horse, you haven't had him that long when you think about it, just a case of both of you getting used to each other.

Henmen

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I found that I bonded most with mine when I was poo picking th field, as I was there for 4 hours!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep agree absolutly. Ive only had my girl 3 months, but already we have a great bond. Due to weather and kids being ill, i havent been able to spend much time with her over the last few weeks and it starting to show.
crazy.gif
She needs her cuddles!!

Visit site
well I do T-touch with my boy - where you massage the back and base of the neck with the tips of your fingers. it works a treat and really helps your partnership. My boy is a bit nervous with the farrier so I do this to him whilst he is being shod and he really relaxes and chills out.
smile.gif