Your cancellable takes...

stangs

Visit site
Showing that I am old, yet again, what is a ‘cancellable take’?
I cannot see any sense in the phrase.

edit.. I have just read the opening post again and I understand. However I still don’t see what those 2 words have to do with the explanation given, sorry.

It’s Twitter speak. ‘Take’ means an opinion/point of view. ‘Cancellable’ comes from the cancel culture movement that began on Twitter; wherein celebrities would face large amounts of backlash for offensive things they’d said in the past/present, often then losing jobs or sponsorships - aka they got ‘cancelled’. So a cancellable take here is an opinion that people largely disagree with, and will criticise you for having.

Aka we really ought to be scoring these in terms of who’s getting the least likes.

NinjaPony

Visit site
Matchy matchy is great, horse doesn’t care what colour it wears so why not. Putting 4 year olds in double bridles in showing classes is madness. GPs are the worst kind of saddle. Double bridles shouldn’t be permitted at elementary.
I could go on!

scats

Visit site
I’ll stick a kimblewick on a horse for a few weeks to get them out of any grabbing the bit and tanking behaviour (Diva was a horror for this as a 6 year old). They all go back into snaffles sweetly afterwards, but I’m not averse to giving myself a helping hand to overcome an issue and nip it in the bud before it becomes a habit.

I like to have them shod infront.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
People try to treat horses way too quickly when there isn't a definitive diagnosis when they should just chuck them out in a field for 6 months.

90% of people have no idea what behind the vertical looks like.

High level international dressage is becoming an abomination with a lot of hideous practises and very stressed horses being rewarded with 80%+ scores.

Horses who don't get any turnout should be banned from competing. No exceptions.

A stiff horse is a lame horse, and a lame horse is in pain that should be managed or the end of the road should be called. A horse doesn't know it's getting on a bit in age, it knows pain, everyday.

Last edited:

dorsetladette

Visit site
Mine don't have breakfast. I have enough to do in the morning!

(they do have forage if not at grass, just no bucket feed)/

Mine have treat balls in the field for breakfast. As you say there is enough to do and this way they don't fight over buckets and I don't have to separate them all. Oh and they have cheap pony nuts in them!

LeneHorse

Visit site
My hairy Connemara cross has never been clipped.
She is also shod all round with bar shoes in front!
Definitely cancelled ?

Cob Life

Visit site
An occasional light tap with a whip is kinder than endless kicking.

Using a stronger bit in exciting situations where needed (with appropriately soft hands) is much kinder than hauling on the mouth in a snaffle with hands like iron.
Agree!
if I’m having to boot him along I’d rather carry a whip, use it once and get an instant reaction, if I’m having to yank to get him to stop id rather bit up for a few rides and getting him more responsive again before going back to his rubber Mullen mouth snaffle

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Not all experience is equal.

There are many very experienced and sometimes professional people who know absolutely nothing about horses beyond their specific skill, and are perfectly capable of ruining a good horse.

Just because someone is a professional, or very experienced, it doesn’t mean you shouldn’t interrogate things you aren’t comfortable with or apply your own common sense.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
(Almost) all gems!

It seems this is turning into my life's work, along side actually fitting saddles!

Nor will riding them. Just need to be clean.

I've never understood not riding a wet horse, do people stop as soon as their horse begins to sweat? If not, what's the difference ?‍♀️

Because I'm soft I did buy two Thermatex saddle pads to wick mine dry as I ride but I always ride a wet horse. It baffles so many people ?

stangs

Visit site
Ditto 'We've always done it this way' - perhaps there is a better way
100%. Drives me up the wall when people ignore evidence from published, peer-reviewed studies just because "I've always done X and it never did my horse any wrong". Often the same people that couldn't recognise a mildly lame horse for the life of them.

Horses_Rule

Visit site
Stuffing the horses mouth with a big hefty bit , strapping it’s mouth shut and then having a nice big pair of spurs Do you want it to go or stop?

Also age classes of especially any of the main 3 disciplines are ridiculous expectations of such a young horses shouldn’t be allowed and any true professionals shouldn’t endorse them.

And whilst I’m at it when Flossy the horse has 4 heavyweight rugs on but she’s still for a full coat but it’s cold don’t you know I have my big coat on ?