Your experience thoughts please

majors

Visit site
I bought a just 7 15.1 gelding about three months ago as a kick along happy hacker to accompany my mum. All fine to start with calm quiet out hacking even mum rode him, then went a bit tight in the back so changed saddle all fine. But he is getting more and more lively to hack nothing mean just keen looking at things and stonger in the hand. None of this is a problem but not want I want or need, he was suppose to be low maintance, as time is an issue. The lady I bought him off who I have know for years is going to come ride him as I dont want to ruin a lovely horse. My question is doing I keep him and try to work though it (I am not very confident) or sell him on to a keen confident rider who would like the go in him:confused:

touchstone

Visit site
Has his management changed much? Different feed/turnout/workload can make a massive difference. The grass is really greening up here and would explain exuberant behaviour.

If you think it could be the grass I'd try restricting intake and adding magnesium to the diet.

majors

Visit site
Hi thank you he is already on magnesium, as he had a sore tummy a couple of weeks ago. I wish i was braver (i was when i was young)! He is so lovely

evj

Visit site
My new boys gone like this, I've had him a month and he's getting more forward going which is great but also stronger and being a bit of a tank. He was a kick along when i bought him. I've put it done to rising fitness levels and lots of very good grass possibly with a bit of piss taking :)

Bionic Boy

Visit site
From what you say it could just be a combination of testing his new mum, spring grass and the temperature going up and down.
Stick with it and stay confident (even if you don't feel it).
Good luck.

majors

Visit site
Thanks for replying, just feeling so silly, nice to know I am not alone. Took ages to find them right size horse that wasn't lame. Just need the confidence to carry on:(

touchstone

Visit site
Your confidence will grow when you realise that you can manage him. ;)

If he is getting strong when out then I'd consider a change of bit for a while, just so that he has a little more respect for you and you don't have to get into a tug of war and lose confidence with him.

If his hacking is slower than he's used to he might just be looking for excuses to spice things up a bit, so possibly lungeing for a bit before you ride will get the edge off him.

If he was quiet when you bought him then the chances are that his temperament is right for you, but other factors have got him on his toes, so once you deal with that then you'll have your quiet horse back. :)

I'm sure you aren't ruining him and the old owner may well have some good suggestions. :)