Your Favourite horsey task? following on from post by filly190

Enfys

Visit site
I have a hair fetish.......I LOVE clipping!!!

Also standing back and admiring freshly put down bed before beastie goes in and pees
mad.gif

JadeWisc

Visit site
I have to agree about the clean bed
Not sure this is a "task" but
My fave thing to be perfectly truthful is simply watching them at play
smile.gif
Knowing they are happy and feeling good, being asked to do nothing and just being a silly horse.

Enfys

Visit site
You're so right Jade. I wonder sometimes if we don't fuss too much over the little things and forget to actually take time to lean over a fence and enjoy our horses.

I know that now I have them at home I spend far too long just leaning on the windowsill watching them
smile.gif

SSM

Visit site
Wow there are so many tasks I love (well if the ones we hated outweighed them we would'nt have them - would we?
crazy.gif
)

So here we go:

Riding her, however much hard work it is!
Grooming - making her tail tangle free
A freshly 'set' stable
Turning her out
Feeding time - when they all love me
grin.gif

Cuddle time (very important)
Cleaning tack
crazy.gif

Buying feed
Scrubbing and plaiting for a show
If she was not a battle - clipping (would clip every other week!!!)

I could go on for hours!

PaddyMonty

Visit site
Final pat and closing the stable door at night.
Love the sight and sound of horses snuggled up for the night, clean, relaxed and contentedly munching on sweet smelling hay.

muffinino

Visit site
I love making up feeds!
laugh.gif
Not just the bit when you walk towards them&get a neigh (I know it isn't an 'I love you' neigh, more a 'Feed me now! Walk faster!' neigh) but actually making up the feeds is great&I save it to be one of the last things I do on the yard. Funny thing is I hate cooking for people...
confused.gif

Marquire

Visit site
I love making up feeds too!

Both of mine are really vocal and there is a cacophony of nickering, neighing and general huffing and puffing as soon as I go into the feed shed next door to their stables.

They like to give the impression they are starved!

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
I love a freshly set bed.
I also love winter nights, when they're nice and warm and having their tea.
I love mornings when they whicker when they see you. Makes up for you getting out of bed at silly-o'clock.
Turning out.
Grooming.
Schooling sessions.

SSM

Visit site
Had to add love evenings, her feed bins are next to her stable wall (1/2 wall) and as I make her feed up she nudges me for carrots - we call it her 'aperitif time'
smile.gif
smile.gif

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I just love being around my lad...it just feels good. Making up feeds, grooming, doing his bed, whatever.

I used to have a very stressful & hectic job & sometimes I had to dash all over the country. Sometimes my route took me past where my lad is stabled. I used to love just parking up, getting out & just standing watching him in the field. I could feel the stress just draining away.

pottamus

Visit site
I love giving my boy his pathetic excuse for a tea...he thinks it is the worlds best tea and growls and grizzles as he eats it! I also love mucking out and making the bed all clean and cosy again!

filly190

Visit site
My favourite thing is when they are put to bed at night (winters) and everything is clean, tidy and perfect.

I am also enjoying spending an hour at night, grooming and fussing around with my friend who helps with one of my horses. No riding at night, just doing the little things that count.

Twiglet

Visit site
Making up feeds, the smell of chaff.....

Grooming because my boy adores it, and practically starts purring.

Turning a horrible stinking wet bed into a woodchip work of art, with poker straight banks and new bales of fluffy white woodchips.

Filling up the snack a ball because my horse can hear it from the other side of the yard, and I get his musical tones bellowed across at me!

Turning out in the mornings, especially more than one horse. Rugging up a sleepy beast and having a chat on the way out to the field, before watching them gallop off and ruin all my hard grooming work with a good roll.

riotgirl

Visit site
I love watching my Welshie eat her tea. She paws her hoof in the air and closes her eyes in bliss!
Wirth my old girl I love whispering in her ear. Not sure why, but she really loves this. She'll come up to me and stick her ears by my face and then close her eyes while I talk to her.

seaview

Visit site
I love when you arrive ad they come belting down the field to see you!
(or in the case of scatty 2 year old that jumps out stands at the yard gate waitig for me!)
She thinks she is a dog, youi point to her field and off she goes!
If she wasnt 16.2hh you wouldnt mind LOL!
xxx

SouthWestWhippet

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

I love making up feeds! Not just the bit when you walk towards them&get a neigh (I know it isn't an 'I love you' neigh, more a 'Feed me now! Walk faster!' neigh) but actually making up the feeds is great&I save it to be one of the last things I do on the yard. Funny thing is I hate cooking for people...

[/ QUOTE ]

I absolutely 100% aggree with this. HATE cooking, LOVE mixing up feeds... why is that I wonder?!

I also love turning out after my horse has worked hard for me. I like to see her trot away and 'go and be a horse' for a while.

Theresa_F

Visit site
Feeding - Cairo is so happy slobbering away or asking his ball to hand out the nuts.

Grooming - Cairo again is in heaven at having his itchy areas given a good hard brush.

Poo picking on a warm summer evening with the boys following me.

I also love just watching them play in the school.

Enjoy show preparation and turning my youngster from the Little Stinker into Quite by Chance.

Hate - poo picking on a wet slippery field.

RobinHood

Visit site
Tack cleaning, and tacking up with beautiful clean tack.
The first 5 minutes of clipping
making huge feeds
watching speedibeet swell up if you use boiling water
grooming Robin's withers when he grooms me back
sweeping.. odd I know but I'm a sweeping obsessive
walking round the feed merchant and choosing what I want, especially seeing as it's not me who has to pay for it
horsey shopping = heaven
putting on stable bandages and a huge warm rug and putting them in dry stable with massive clean bad and heap of hay, with a bucket of warm feed.