Your future predictions of the horse world

Andrew657

Visit site
20 years?! Crikey that's a long time.

In 20 years I think it will be considerably less socially acceptable to own a horse just for leisure.

Although 20 years may seem like a long time - with horses now regularly living into their twenties and potentially prolonged by availability to new vet treatments; all these depressing predictions could been seen across the ownership of one horse for the aspiring "forever" owner buying a youngster today.

Ratface

Visit site
Ah well. My animals and I'll be dead and gone by 2042, so it's irrelevant. Given the predicted changes, I'm extremely grateful.

NightStock

Visit site
I think equicentral /track systems will become more the norm with any available land used to produce hay, although I can see horse ownership numbers dropping as out-riding in the U.K becomes less accessible and climate change impacts the weather and food production.

Zuzan

Visit site
Re the towing vehicles .. I think hydrogen power will replace diesel better than the battery type vehicle. Also think that online will replace much of the equine gatherings that require travelling. The equestrian sports that can adapt to online will adapt better, obviously. I wonder if we will see new forms of competition evolve to cater for less travelling?

I think re-wilding and new woodlands could potentially improve the access issues. Also I can see the potential for livery / horse keeping and conservation grazing to co-exist.

We are going to see the arrival of new diseases that thrive in warmer climates. Mosquitos are going to be an issue. Looking at how more arid regions keep horses will help us adapt.. using barns during high risk times of day / high risk seasons.

I really hope that equestrianism in its broadest sense educates itself with the issues of equine welfare and can adapt.

I hope that society better understands how beneficial equine contact can be in either a targeted therapeutic context or more widely, in the same way that contact with other animals / nature generally are becoming better understood as good for our souls.

chocolategirl

Visit site
So I have decided to make this thread because it the end of the year. I also think it’s will be fun to read this in 20 years. I think the horse world will be less accessible to most people. I also think there will be a lack of yards due to people retiring and the lack of suitable land .
Have to disagree on some things. For every yard that closes, I believe another opens, from what I see, there’s no shortage of money ANYWHERE, certainly not among the people I’m mixing with in Cheshire, so I don’t see accessibility being an issue. I think livery will remain ‘cheap’, unless the government do the right thing and regulate it with licensing. I’ve run my yard for 27 years and I am winding down now, wish I’d done it years ago tbh, but I’ve seen lots of new yards springing up all over this area with literally no expense spared either. I’m sure a lot does depend though which area of the country you’re in, but certainly here, no issues I can see affecting the future ?

Rokele55

Visit site
Well, I think the future of all traditional country sports will be doomed with the increasing urbanisation of the countryside. Any attractive rural areas will be set aside for 'recreational activities ' ( not including privately owned horses). The animal rights brigade will have all horse sports in their sights and it will become something considered cruel. It will be licenced and inspected and run by government officials advised by groups like peta. Enjoy it while you can!

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Although 20 years may seem like a long time - with horses now regularly living into their twenties and potentially prolonged by availability to new vet treatments; all these depressing predictions could been seen across the ownership of one horse for the aspiring "forever" owner buying a youngster today.

You're so right, it is something I have become painfully aware of. My current horses will be my last and I desperately hope that I can get another 10 years with them without things being too much of a struggle.

Xmas lucky

Visit site
any foals born this year will be alive the horses will only be 17 years old in 2040. So it not that far away than people think. Unfortunately my mare won’t be alive in 2040 because she will be 13 in may. So I wouldn’t see the future horse world because I don’t see me myself getting another horse when she gone.

I think it will get more expensive to keep horses and I could see hunting and racing getting banned .