Your Horse(s) companion, pet, friend or means to an end?

Rosyryan

Visit site
Something AliBabe said on my post about woman mis-quoting ILPH, ( Ieventually spoke to the Field Officer for our area),he denied that the ILPH would advise anyone to euthanaze a horse which was re-saleable, ie healthy, rideable, good temprement etc, he did say however that the ILPH would not take afore-mentioned horse for re-homeing as they just don't have the resources,perfectly understandable.

However twinges of guilt here because I have sold on 2 horses and a pony, hopefully to good homes, well as far as was humanly possible to determine, were they companion animals, pets , friends or the means to an end? I regard our sole remaining horse as a friend, and would go the extra mile to keep her healthy, but I have 50% share in a show pony stallion and regard him as an investment even though he is a lovely chap if somebody came along with a tempting offer and of course had the facilities for him and were kind I would probably let him go, he isn't a friend as such even though I backed him and did his initial schooling and love him dearly, so he a means to an end pony, does anyone else feel differently to their particular horse/pony?

Agent XXX999

Visit site
My horse is my friend and Bruce is def not for sale...however I learnt very hard when my Dad made me sell my JA when I was out of ponies....still heartbroken 8 years later!

I have had youngsters I have schooled and sold but always new they were going to be sold so they were more business.

Halfpass

Visit site
My horse is hopefully my friend for life................................. but as she is so young if she doesn't get big enough for me I will have to sell her (or have major liposuction) here's hoping she is a friend for life
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Madam_max

Visit site
Had my mare for years. Def my friend for life. I would ever get rid of her. I've got to a stage now that we know each other so well ad have a amazing amount of trust in each other, which would be hard to find with another.

lucyross

Visit site
iv had my pony 11 years now, since i was only 7 yrs old. he is my best friend and i love him dearly, but now is the time i feel he needs to move on to another family. He has been such a good boy to me, we did all rallys, gymkanas and all sorts, winning everything we attempted. he was fab, but unfortunately kids nowadays r such pretty riders, that they r too petrified to fall off that i can no longer find a rider for him. the problem is that where all we did together was race around and hoon around he thinks that no matter who is on him he should be doing the same with them. he was fab 4 me, but no1 else seems to get on with him. he is now 18 and fit n healthy but i fear that the only way he will ever find a new home is as a companion. its just not fair, but i now dont have time for the love and attention he needs.

star

Visit site
had my horse 6yrs and he is my first one. he is now 20 and we have been through a lot together, good and bad. my life revolves around him and keeping him happy and healthy - we're together for as long as he has. i cant imagine ever finding another one so made for me. as far as i'm concerned we're the perfect partnership and he could have gone so wrong in the wrong hands - he was well on the way when i got him.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Ours are friends for life, hence four mares, two retired, we have had one for over twenty years, still a real b*****, but a real friend

malibu211211

How the hell do I know??? I can barely remember my
Visit site
When I was considering buying D someone said to me 'he is only worth meat money and whatever he means to you'
He is hobdayed and has a coffin joint problem which means in 'hard ground' season he basically needs bubble wrapping
laugh.gif

He is most definately a friend and will one day be a HUGE pet too
grin.gif

Don't you find your equine friends actually live a better life than we do?

D does, but I would'nt have it any other way
grin.gif
grin.gif

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
Mo will stay with us hopefully for life circumstances permitting, as will her foal. Prince will be accessed each year, but he was bred with the intention of keeping him. Bailey is on loan, but his owner wont sell him now I dont think. Sas is for sale as we dont have a job for her. Shadow was bought to bring on & re sell. We love all our horses but Mo is special & it is her character that stands out. If they were dogs & cats Mo & Prince would be a dogs, the others are more cat like.

pottamus

Visit site
My horse is very special to me and is a friend and saviour. I will never sell him and never had any intention of selling him on when I bought him. I waited a great many years to get another horse and we have been through so much together.

the watcher

Visit site
The Highland pony will always have a home with me, we have a real bond. the Dales x mare could go if I was offered the right money for her and she could continue to follow hounds and do HT, which is where she seems to be excelling, the IDxTB I think will be with me for ever, he had been messed about before i got him, I did loan him out for a bit and he came back quite poor because his ulcers and windsucking were not managed properly, so I owe it to him to give him a good home now.

Baileysno1

Visit site
This is difficult for me as I have an old vetran who I have out on loan to a wonderful home, and a youngster I bought to bring on and sell when we (hopefully) emigrate however I love them both and don't want to sell either, Bailey (vetran) is on basically what is a permanent loan and will stay where he is for life however Ryu is only 5 and talented he can't emigrate with us so unfortunatley when the time comes he'll go. I have focused his training around being a great horse for anyone so he gets the best home possible, there'll be tears though I get upset just thinking about selling him!

Scarlett

Visit site
my Tb and ISH are with me for life - thats non negotiable... however my Highland would be sold if the right home came along, I have advertised him previously but only had idiots come to see him so he ended up staying. My friend brings her kids up to play with him which he loves so hopefully she will continue to do this and maybe eventually buy him....

I have always had little projects that I buy and sell - I have learned to be slightly detached from them which makes selling them easier.... I have a wee mare exracer coming soon to be reschooled and sold on, when i told the girl who helps me with my boys she got all excited and was going on about having another horse to kiss and cuddle and love - I pointed out that no, the horse wont get the same affection as my lads as thats when you start to get to attached, she will be looked after as well as the others and wont go without but I won't let her cross the line if that makes any sense to anyone...?

jemima

Visit site
Our little cob is with us for life - he had such rotten time before he came here and he's such a huge character, we couldn't let him go. The Section A I'd be quite happy to sell - but hubby won't let me. The bigger cob again I'd be happy to sell when he's done his job with my daughter but hubby won't let me and tbh if I want to compete he's probably the most sensible thing for me to do it on, however the huge gain in value makes it tempting. The AA mare? She's brilliant and such a sweet person but I'm too big, she will make a nice horse for my daughter and hopefully be a very talented eventer but realistically will my daughter have time when she goes off to Uni? Doubt it so I will either have to sell her or lose at least four stone to ride her myself.

Theresa_F

Visit site
All mine have been for life - pets that we ride. They are all much loved.

The only horse I have ever sold is Fleur - and this after several years of trying everything and was in her best interest as she is now a content broodmare.

I have a restrictive sale agreement - I am able to visit her and she must be offered back to me first if she is ever not wanted or her owner dies and I am as sure as one could be that this will happen, but do realise that she could be sold on without me and I would have to consider whether taking the agreement through the courts.

Tempi

Visit site
both mine are my friends, but they are also my competition animals! Altho bloss is going into foal next year, which i will either sell or keep depending on how it turns out!
grin.gif

sojeph

Visit site
When I buy an animal I intend to keep it for life because for they are pets. That goes for my guinea pigs right up to my horses. I have sold one pony in my life because I needed to at the time and regret it SOOOO much. Would love to have her back.

S_N

Visit site
Am am fortunate in that my old chap - I've put a fait few pics of him up this week
laugh.gif
- how I let go nearly 10 yrs ago, will be coming back to me in his retirement
grin.gif
laugh.gif
Which actually can't be far off, seeing as he is 22/23 now, though still going strong. I never advertised him, his current home found him by chance and it was such a good home that I couldn't really refuse - I know he has made a difference to many, many lives as an RDA Ride and Drive horse (not something I ever thought he'd be good at when he was younger and he's still cheeky with able bodied peeps on board, but saintly if they aren't!).

B is def. with me for life - though she maaaaay go and stay with a friend for a while in the next 6 months or so......
wink.gif
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Hector, well tbh I bred him to sell, so I'd better get on and sell him really- though the home is paramount!!

ETS: I do not see H as a means to an end! If I could afford to keep him, I would!

Doublethyme

Visit site
Hopefully my mare is a friend for life and I would go many extra miles to make sure that is she is with me for life, even if she had to be retired tomorrow (she's 12), I would never pass her on just to be able to get something else to ride.

I understand when people have no choice but to re-home older retired horses through financial/personal reasons or even sell on younger horses to different homes because they aren't suited, but it makes me very angry when people just sell or pass older retired horses or even young horses that can no longer be ridden on just because they can't ride anymore and can only get another horse to ride by getting rid of the original one.

SSM

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
both mine are my friends, but they are also my competition animals! Altho bloss is going into foal next year, which i will either sell or keep depending on how it turns out!
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Put her to a Cleveland and you'll want to keep the foal for life too!!!!!!!!!
cool.gif

SSM

Visit site
My girl is my baby so she is for life - want to have a foal out of her and start my own little CB dynasty - the Stonker stud!!!!!!!!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Amymay definately with me for life (no one else would have her!!!). But seriously - can't imagine parting with any animal I own tbh. Get far too attached.

Jillian

Visit site
My horses are friends for life and I would never part with any of them. 4 of them are veterans but they will stay with me until the end.

Llwyncwn

Visit site
I would rather sleep on a park bench than give my horses up. Cass is my best friend and the love of my life. The others I adore and wouldnt part with them.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
Difficult question when you have lots of horses.
Some we know we will keep probably for ever I get fond of, others who are simply bred to sell I deliberately ensure they don't sneak under my defences.
At the moment we have a 23 year old and a 34 year old both who just exist as pets, both will stay here until their end as both have more than earned their retirement.
The stallion was special and I was very upset when he was euthanised, but he didn't see that as I said my normal hello to him then he didn't wonder why I seemed different.
Out of those we have now there is one brood mare I am very fond of, the others I could sell without a qualm provided it was to a good home. The foals I like but as we are unlikely to keep them forever they remain horses to sell.
Monty the last horse we sold I was really fond of, but he didn't give enough back in terms of enjoyment to justify keeping him here.
Most of ours are treated as to their potential reward if they injure themselves, one for instance has had a year off and over £1000 spent on farriers fees for it, but as it is likely to bring a high sale price that's no problem. If however the elderlyshetland had the same problem he would be euthanised..
So athough I do love some of them, yes most are a means to an end..

amandaco2

Visit site
mine are companion, pets and competition.and not for sale unless i am unable to keep them in the way they need to be kept and deserve to be kept.i havent sold any of mine yet(got 3)nor put on down yet-my first pony is now 48) but i have loaned quite a lot of horses as well.