your most equestrian unsuitable car.

Visit site
Ok who has the most unsuitable car for horsey stuff.
Ill start with my 2018 Mazda MX5.

Good points:
  • Can just about fit tack into the boot
  • Surprisingly good at driving across fields when they are dry
  • A schooling whip fits behind the drivers chair and the roof goes up and down correctly
  • A lunging whip can go into the passengers seat with the roof up
  • not to bad down country lanes - Just make sure that the windows and roof are up if theres overhanging bushes

Bad points:
  • Rubbish on fields in the winter
  • You get funny looks when you turn up to somewhere that's not the yard with it covered in mud
  • If there's tack in the boot don't expect anything else will fit in there
  • You get funny looks from people at the yard
  • A lunging whip has to go in the passenger seat
  • You constantly get told to get a 4x4

Auslander

Visit site
MGF. Similar to your MX-5 (although obviously a FAR superior vehicle!) in terms of practicality/space. I could carry two bales of hay across the field on the boot lid - although I did worry about scratching the viper stripes!

Very loud stainless steel sports exhaust - which burbled and popped on deceleration. I loved it, but the horses weren't keen on the pops!

1542053272665.png

Visit site
MGF. Similar to your MX-5 (although obviously a FAR superior vehicle!) in terms of practicality/space. I could carry two bales of hay across the field on the boot lid - although I did worry about scratching the viper stripes!

Very loud stainless steel sports exhaust - which burbled and popped on deceleration. I loved it, but the horses weren't keen on the pops!

View attachment 27332
Yeah I want a sports exhaust on the MX5 but I'm worried about the horses. Its loud enough as it is.

pippixox

Visit site
Fiat 500 for a few years: amazing how much horse feed you could stuff in it!
I also used to have a German shepherd on the back seats!!

Plastic and door handles literally fell off (not the horses help)

I currently have a Ford Mindel estate. Big boot for dogs and space for kids. But do miss a time when I had a 4x4 discovery. But was too expensive to run and I didn’t tow often enough to justify it

GoldenWillow

Visit site
Bmw Z4 roadster, technically OH'S but I 'borrowed' it all summer. Too low to get up the lane to the field but you can get 2 bales of either haylage or shavings in it, 3 if one goes on the passenger seat! Totally impractical but is the best fun especially when it's sunny.

Visit site
Bmw Z4 roadster, technically OH'S but I 'borrowed' it all summer. Too low to get up the lane to the field but you can get 2 bales of either haylage or shavings in it, 3 if one goes on the passenger seat! Totally impractical but is the best fun especially when it's sunny.

I have had two bags of feed in the MX5. One in the boot with barely anything else and one in the passenger footwell. Whilst I had a passenger in it lol. The reviews from the passenger were not the best.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I used to have an Audi TT I just about fitted my saddle in the boot and that was it, totally useless car if you have horses but it looked nice and was really fast!

Myloubylou

Visit site
Audi TT. On test drive asked if could check that my saddle could fit in boot. Salesman’s face was a picture. Can get several sacks of feed in the boot but that’s about it.

chaps89

Visit site
Not strictly mine, but my dad's limited edition Peugeot 406 coupe.
Surprisingly large amount of boot space but not at all economical to run as I found out to my horror when I borrowed it for a few weeks when mine was off the road. As a horsey person, economical is important!

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
I've got an audi tt but I don't have to carry stuff any more.

The least practical was the Suzuki cappuccino.... really, really tiny convertible.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
I used to have an MGF but I was on full livery at the time! If I wanted to take the trailer out I'd swap cars with the OH as I'd made him buy a 4x4 for that reason 😁😁
I went to view a new yard once, the entrance road was so full of potholes the YM took me up there in her 4x4, so I realised I was never going to move my horse there!

Surbie

Visit site
You're using a 2018 mx5 for horsey stuff? Yowzers!!!

I have an elderly Mx5 (currently in the garage to get the indicators/hazards working again) and it's my only car. It's a 'W'' reg, so the most unhelpful version of an mx5, the one that comes without aircon!

How the hell do you fit tack in the boot? I have mine on the passenger seat...

I've had it for 12 years now. It's been wonderful as an allotment car given the roof goes down so 8ft decking/trees/fence posts/dalek compost bins have all been transported without any problem. Obviously only on clear, fine days...

It does not do so well as a horsey car. The road up to the yard is riddled with potholes, I can only fit 3 feed bags/1 bale of hay in it, I wouldn't dare take it down to the field and it can't pull anything at all...

My friend and I are going to a tack sale tomorrow - it says it all that she's requested I drive us in her (larger) car!

Visit site
You're using a 2018 mx5 for horsey stuff? Yowzers!!!

I have an elderly Mx5 (currently in the garage to get the indicators/hazards working again) and it's my only car. It's a 'W'' reg, so the most unhelpful version of an mx5, the one that comes without aircon!

How the hell do you fit tack in the boot? I have mine on the passenger seat...

I've had it for 12 years now. It's been wonderful as an allotment car given the roof goes down so 8ft decking/trees/fence posts/dalek compost bins have all been transported without any problem. Obviously only on clear, fine days...

It does not do so well as a horsey car. The road up to the yard is riddled with potholes, I can only fit 3 feed bags/1 bale of hay in it, I wouldn't dare take it down to the field and it can't pull anything at all...

My friend and I are going to a tack sale tomorrow - it says it all that she's requested I drive us in her (larger) car!
Like I say didn’t expect to get as involved with horses as I did otherwise I’d of bought something more suitable. When I bought it I was only having lessons. When my friend set up a livery yard I started helping out them etc.

Surbie

Visit site
Like I say didn’t expect to get as involved with horses as I did otherwise I’d of bought something more suitable. When I bought it I was only having lessons. When my friend set up a livery yard I started helping out them etc.

I started helping out at an RDA. Then I took on one of the horses that didn't work out there...Poor little car is usually covered in mud now.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I think the TT is a great horse vehicle. Not bad on fuel, great ground clearance and they even fitted it with a special dog seat behind the driver/passenger. The dog seat is what sold it to me, actually, any car that specially caters for Hekkie is a winner.

As for the carrying capacity, I had 5 saddles on loan from the saddler to find one that fitted, not only did they all fit, but I could have had at least one more, if not two (dog not present that day).

Used to use it to go teach in, didn't find a yard it would not go into, although there was one where I 'preferred' to take OH's countryman. The boot fitted all sorts; coats, hats, body protector, cones, first aid kit, halters/ropes, whips etc. Still had Hekkie's seat or the passenger seat/foot well for the Tesco shop on the way home.

Doesn't even need a service until it is 3 years old.

The worst horse car we had was a mini metro. If you had the GSD dog in the boot it bent the floor enough that the boot would pop open, if you went over rough ground the boot popped open, the boot only really fitted the dog in if the back seats were down, the rust on the wings was bad enough that I would not have driven it anywhere too bad in case it literally shook apart. That one fitted 2 adults, one dog and no saddles or bags!

Michen

Visit site
Merc slk. I live down a farm track but only have the dog a month or so a year, can get three bags of feed in spread around boot and front seat etc....

It’s utterly useless but I love it!

One day I’ll swap back to a 4x4 and trailer but for now... 😂A0AE53EE-F8FB-4128-A1D5-69C1E456877F.jpeg

emfen1305

Visit site
I have a Citroen C1 which is useless for all other horsey aspects of life except pulling the arena harrow which it does beautifully. Dread to think what damage I am doing to it but a nice, flat arena makes up for it!

Annagain

Visit site
Not exactly unsuitable but OH and I got invited to the launch of the Range Rover Velar at our local dealership a couple of years ago. We had no intenton of buying one but there was free food and, as a Land Rover nut OH was curious. It was full of footballers, city types, very attractive blonde women and then, OH and me! There was a whole team of people there to answer questions about it and they knew loads about the 6 way adjustable, heated seats, the 12 speaker sound system and the reversing cameras etc. When I asked them what the towing capacity was they all looked terrified and ran away!

Visit site
Not exactly unsuitable but OH and I got invited to the launch of the Range Rover Velar at our local dealership a couple of years ago. We had no intenton of buying one but there was free food and, as a Land Rover nut OH was curious. It was full of footballers, city types, very attractive blonde women and then, OH and me! There was a whole team of people there to answer questions about it and they knew loads about the 6 way adjustable, heated seats, the 12 speaker sound system and the reversing cameras etc. When I asked them what the towing capacity was they all looked terrified and ran away!

Is it me or are the towing weights of most cars going down these days??

HEM

Visit site
Wowzers I thought my mini coopers underneath scraping on bumpy/pothole lanes was bad! You guys are bonkers!!

Nasicus

Visit site
Makes me appreciate my ratty 2005 citreon C3, can get 6 bales of bedding/hay in there, it's like the tardis!

SpottyMare

Visit site
Merc SLK350 - bought before I got the horses (and now sadly sold). Was surprisingly practical - could get up the track to the yard no problem, would happily take a christmas tree/forks/shovels in the passenger seat with the roof down, boot could hold a surprising amount of stuff if the roof was up. The car enthusiast folks at the yard (usually partners of the horse people) were always horrified at the state of it, and that i drove it up there :D

Pippity

Visit site
I have a Citroen C1 which is useless for all other horsey aspects of life except pulling the arena harrow which it does beautifully. Dread to think what damage I am doing to it but a nice, flat arena makes up for it!

I have an Aygo, so pretty much exactly the same! The exhaust fell off a few weeks ago (while a potential purchase was being vetted - waiting for the RAC would have been awkward if she'd failed) which I blame on time spent bouncing down the drive at the yard.

Saddle fits on the back seat. It hypothetically has a boot but there's so much random crap in there that adding a grain of sand would be difficult.

I'm now trying to decide whether to buy a new car or a nice little 3.5 lorry. Brain says car, heart says lorry... I can commute to and from the yard in a lorry, right?

AGray825

Visit site
I've had my little 2010 Renault Clio for 6 years now and it's done me wonderfully as a little workhorse (and prior to that I had a V-reg Clio... which did equally as well until it started becoming more expensive to repair than it was actually worth :/)

Only problem is it's a 3 door, so while I can fit a lot into the boot, sometimes there's a bit of necessary squeezing a shoving to get stuff into the back seat! But it's successfully carried 7 bags of assorted feeds and bedding at one time (5 20kg bags and 2 bags of wood pellets)... god knows what it did to the weight of it and what it looked like from behind but nvm
It's had a few road springs replaced, and the lights are a nightmare because they're constantly going, and there's a bit of a rattle that's unexplainable without spending an excess of money (still got through it's MOT a couple weeks ago!) and I can't remember the last time I washed it because it seems pointless being clean for a max of a week before returning to the same state of mud/dust/god knows what else covering it!

Maybe one day I'll be able to afford a 'posher' car, but with my accident prone youngster and my dream of replacing ye olde horsebox one day (M-reg Ford Iveco 7.5t)..... I can't really see that happening!