Your opinion??

Reeis

Visit site
Just wanting peoples opinions (I’m not doing this! I know of someone doing it and just wanted peoples thoughts)
Would it really matter if a 16/16.5 seat saddle was used on a horse who wears and was fitted to a 17 seat? Would it cause any damage or be okay?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Depends on the weight of the rider. Too small a saddle creates too high a lbs per square inch. Other than that, I don't know any issues that would be caused by a shorter panel than the horse can technically fit. Seat size is to fit the rider, not the horse.

Last edited:

Goldenstar

Visit site
Seat size has to be correct to the horse if the horse is not long enough to carry for example 18” no matter how tall the rider they will have to ride in a shorter saddle .
Side saddle fitting is an different art Op I seem to remember my side saddle was shorter in inches than my astride saddle but it’s so long ago I can barely remember
You need to get an expert on the job the right Saddle is vital if the seat of the saddle is two short for you you both will struggle .
I hope you get a saddle and enjoy it , I loved it at one point .

SEL

Visit site
Technically (using last rib guidelines) my mare can fit a 17" but on advice of a vet osteo she's in shorter.

But I can fit in a 16" saddle without finding I'm perched on the back of it, so not a problem.

The most important thing is saddle fits horse.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I know this isn't the question you were asking, but while we are talking about seat sizes, it is possible to have two saddles with the same size seat, one of which has panels which are too long for the horse and the other doesn't. Or two saddles with different seat sizes and the same length panel. Seat size will not tell you whether the saddle will or won't be too long for the horse. Seat size is the measure you need for the rider's backside, panel length is the measure you need for the horse.

Last edited:
Reactions: SEL

MagicMelon

Visit site
As ycbm has pointed out, Id be looking at the panel size and not the seat. I have a WOW with a 17" seat (for me) and 16" panels (for my short backed horses - but I have easily used this same saddle on a horse who could have taken an 18").