Your probably sick of talking about passports but...

Kristine

Visit site
I am currently paying off a pony who does not have a passport.

I believe (but don't quote me on it) that it's illigal to own a horse without one? BUT this person has owned this pony since he was 6 months old.

So do I ask his present owner to fill out a passport form and send it off and at least get him somesort of passport even though it will have to go straight back for chage of ownership or do I wait till i've ogt him then fill it out??

Little bit stuck
frown.gif

please help

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
It's illegal to sell a horse without a passport, so yes, it's up to the current owner to get one before you buy the pony.

Then you have to send it off to register change of ownership...hope this helps.

Happytohack

Visit site
It is illegal to own any equine without a passport, it is illegal to sell one without a passport, but it is not illegal to buy one without a passport! Get the curent owner to sort the passport out and if they won't, you can still get one when the pony is legally yours.

airedale

Visit site
Disagree - there is a fine and penalties now for failing to have a passport. Therefore the penalties should goto the current owner and not the new owner - so the current owner should bite the bullet and apply for a passport.

If they refuse to do so then get the pony off them and report them to DEFRA for selling a horse without a passport - before applying for one for the pony - that way at least any legal penalties cannot come down onto new owner

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Here is a link to a Passport Agency, it will give you the legislation & also the forms to download to complete & obtain a passport.

http://www.horsepassportagency.org/registration_fees.php

I'd try & keep everything as simple as possible, I wouldn't report the previous owner unless I had to to obtain a new passport. Why cause problems if there is no need? The main thing is that you have the pony you wanted & you can get a passport.

Good Luck
smile.gif

Tia

Visit site
No I wouldn't report the previous owner either. I would just contact a suitable passport issuer and tell them I had just bought the horse and it had no passport. I would not give the details of the past owner; that's just nasty I think; I'd just say I didn't have/lost their address or contact details.

I think I may discuss it with the owner though and ask whether I could have some money off as the passport was really her responsibility.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I would ask the owner to pay for it. They dont need to give a reason why they havent had a passport up 'til now - I think the passport people are told to be happy about it because its better to be getting one at all! If they're worried then they can simply pretend they bought the horse with no passport, who would know?!

Definately wouldnt wait until the horse was yours because what happened if a passport DID exsist (say by other owners......) - could get very messy with proof of ownership.

foraday

Visit site
The seller needs to pay for the passport as it is illegal to sell an equine without one.

Anyone selling a horse without will be prosecuted by trading standards as they are the enforcement authority in passports.

You cannot transport a horse without a passport and quite a few vets are refusing treatment of equines if they haven't got a passport.