Your thoughts please

Lin761!

New User
Visit site
In a bit of a dilemma so would appreciate views on this. Have a 17 year old gelding, not done anything with him over the winter. I know he should be getting back into work ( I don't compete, only schooling and hacking) but have lost my confidence as I've got older. He is a lovely horse but I am really not sure if it's fair on him that he is doing nothing, although he is a happy horse who loves his horsey friends and his routine (and food, most of all his food). He is well behaved but not a plod and he gets quite stressed if he cannot see another horse at all times and hates hacking alone. This limits what I can do with him and it becomes a vicious circle. I have thought about all the possible options - just get on with it; sell or loan; get an instructor on board but I feel stuck. I am mindful of his age when I think about selling him on, would hate him to be passed around for the rest of his days. I keep telling myself I don't have to make any decision yet but the more I delay the harder it gets :(

Shay

Visit site
Don't worry about it not being fair on him. Horses don't have that sort of concept. He is perfectly happy - as you say - with his freinds and his food. He doesn't need anything more. As long as you can afford to keep him there is no reason to worry about doing more or moving him on.

Bellaboo18

Visit site
Moved my post over :)
I'd get an instructor that'll ride him. It might give you confidence seeing someone else ride him (if he behaves), you'll know if you've got something to sell and if you want you could then start having lessons. I think getting him back in to work will make you feel you've got more options.
Most horses are happy doing 'nothing' if they've got everything they need so I wouldn't worry about that.
I understand the worry about selling an older horse so if you get him in to work and still don't feel like you want to ride, I'd go down the loan/lwvtb.