Your thoughts

BBs

Visit site
As many of you may know I really want a coloured to event/compete in the future. Dad saw this horse in H&H yesterday and is very taken with it.

Unfortunately, dad just like a horse to *look at* and has absolutely NO experience in confirmation and if its capable of doing the job its bought for.

So what do you think?

Devlin info

His sire moves nicely but not hugely expressive paces. His dam is a TB. I also like the fact the horse is born on St Patricks day and Winston was born on D' Day - I know totally random but i like it lol

He will be a project for me to bring on into eventing - however, something still says to me I want more *blood* but dad wants the next Bits and Pieces
smirk.gif
so quite honestly its a difficult one.

Weezy

Visit site
Havent looked into the breeding etc but he is one smart little boy isnt he and appears to move very nicely - my only reservation (without looking into the blood lines although obv Furioso is a jumping line) is how much jumping ability he will have and how sharp his mind will be for you XC?

But if daddy is happy it could be a VERY nice prospect to bring on!

seabiscuit

Visit site
I agree with Ben and Jerrys...

If you want more blood,What about Maesfenhorse's coloured yearling Joey??Dad has Dallas and TB bloodlines. and the mother is a pure TB bred for point to pointing/Nat Hunt....I really like that foal he looks very gutsy and brave, a useful sort and I would buy him myself if I had the money...

BBs

Visit site
Oh I love Joey
smile.gif

My problem! cant have a coloured with a white face, pink nose or bottom. Mainly solid colour with unusal white markings.

SB, unfortunately I havent had a lot of good dealings with Dallas off spring, most have been stuborn, agressive and or ungenuine - thats not to say there all like this, just the ones ive had dealings with.

Personally it would be easier if I could just pick what i want and get dad to pay for it, unfortunately its got to be coloured
smirk.gif

Its the first one hes been interested in for ages, so will go and look if he says to. Failing that, i will get a nice dark bay and paint white over it with the help of Boss lol

SillyMare

Visit site
Quite nice, but I'm afraid coulored event horses just don't do it for me (ducks to avoid stoning!!).

There are exceptions of course (eg. Mathew Wright's Park Pilot) but so often they seem stuffy with modest scope and are almost all upright in the shoulder.

Oh, and the prices are generally massively inflated over an equally good hose in a different colour - I just can't pay for a colour!

I think coloured eventers will improve in a few generations. Breeding of coloured competiton horses is still relatively new and a few more generations of back-crosses to other competition breeds (TB / warmblood) will change things completely.

In the meantime, not for me I'm afraid.

BBs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
In the meantime, not for me I'm afraid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Errr sarah, he wasnt being bought for you hun
wink.gif
you have enough of your own
tongue.gif

I take on board what you are saying, and I totally understand, thats why finding the *perfect coloured* is gonna be a mammoth task.

To get dad to agree to buy something that has proven eventing blood lines, comprimise on the colour, height, build and pref 3 year old + isnt going to be easy!

Its great that he shows an interest now and again, but i dont want him buying something and then be disappointed because it isnt going to be much use on the eventing circuit!

Its easy because Jona has said he can go to Ireland and pick us up something suitable - as hes been banging on for a few weeks now that i should get a young horse. However, he'd probably come back with something with a white bum or nose/face and mum and dad would go YUCK!

Tempi

Visit site
honestly......i dont like it.......i think you can find a much nicer coloured somewhere else - dont ask me where. I just wouldnt rush into it.....mayb he looks better in the flesh, dont like his action (from what i can see in the pictures)...........

*runs back to NL to hide*

seabiscuit

Visit site
LOL What are you like!!!
grin.gif
I do see what you mean about the pink noses though.

I have had no experience with Dallas horses although thinking about it Ants McK did mention to me how tricky one of her Dallas's has been.

If your Dad likes this one then do have a look, photos can be so decieving its unreal!! My boys look like donkeys in their photos but I am SURE that they dont look like donkeys in real life....well I hope !! Lol
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

SillyMare

Visit site
Gorsebridge 3 year old performance sales in September?

HUNDREDS of 3 year olds to choose from, you can see them lunged and jumped and they all come with a full vetting.

So much choice you could take your dad and let him find a pretty one there?

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
Hmmmmm, Personally.........no, you could find something a hell of a lot nicer for your money. It strikes me as being too small (although he would probably be the ideal size for you because I have size issues
crazy.gif
tongue.gif
)
laugh.gif

racingdemon

www.facebook.com
nice, but not jumping off the page, & if it was me i'd want more TB, but then i's want all TB.... like this one.... not coloured but should make a super horse (and as laid back as they come, but can jump beautifully (out of his field LOL!!)

Clive%20May%202006%20004.jpg

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
He doesn't do a lot for me other than lovely markings and potentail dressage horse.
I would look more closely at bloodlines if you want an eventer, there are quite definitely some that have a type of jumping brain that makes everything easy when you start.
I do bang on about the Cruising bloodlines but that particular line (and it's nothing to do with Cruising, I reckon the gene comes from Knock Boy his grandfather)
all seem to have that difference in that you say jump, they say "How high?" not spook etc.
Our bloodline has more TB/Warmblood than Irish these days and it may prove that we need to go back a step to infuse more of it again, but if your Dad wants a coloured go and see what the parents' are like to jump.
I would look at any stallions record XC as a priority, training them is difficult enough without battling something that isn't genuinely brave by nature.
He's a sweet foal but I would be worried about buying him as a potential eventer..
(now why don't I just nip out and paint a few foals in the field!)
Sorry but an honest opinion ...

Iestyn

Visit site
Hands off Joey!!! I want him - all of Maesfenhorse's are lovely and I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of baby Twiggy next year as the timing ay just be right for me
grin.gif

BBs - he's a nice looking yearling, but I think I'd like to see a bit more TB in the breeding for eventing.
laugh.gif

Iestyn

Visit site
He's lovely isn't he? I'm going to be looking for my dressage/ jumping horse in a year or so (need to save a bit first) and don't know where to start looking! Won't have a huge budget but just want a generally nice mover and jumper but willing to put the work in so a newly backed youngster is going to be my best bet I think. If you know of anywhere to keep my eye on let me know!
laugh.gif

BBs

Visit site
HH, in all honesty! if dad wasnt so damn convinced he wants a coloured I would be coming down to you in a horse box!

However, just spoken to mum and said, my reservations are that its not proven (although grandfather is Standhopes Diddicoy) event lines.

So if i ever see dad and if he asks me i would say, plus i would rather have a 3 year old to work over the winter with to do BYEH and PAVO 4 year old classes next summer.

I think J is off to ireland very soon so if dad is now thinking he wants to buy me a horse then i will send J off on a shopping trip
grin.gif
watch this space.

Thanks guys for all your input.

I think its difficult, you either love coloureds or hate them.

Personally I think hes cute, and would make a nice dressage horse - but probably thats all, thats my gut feeling and was what i went to bed thinking. You have helped confirm that.

Vxx

siennamum

Visit site
My friend has a couple by Cavalier Two for Joy, whose producing a lot of coloured stock in Ireland at the moment. They REALLY jump and are as bold as brass. Ask Jonno to keep his eyes open for one of those. I think she bought hers from Cavan.

ihatework

Visit site
Cute, but quite small. Not tracking up in trot and a bit downhill.
More of a show hunter than an event IMO