Your views on loan with view to buy...

bonbeau

Visit site
Hi,

I currently have my mare up for sale and have been asked if I would consider a loan with view to buy.

What are your views/experiences with this situation?

I'm a little wary as she went on loan 18months ago and it turned very wrong (through no fault of her own) so I don't want her to be moved around and possibly come back then we'll have to go through it all again.
On the other hand I want her to go to the right home so I would be happy to do this to make sure she goes to the right person.

I would obviously have an agreement although I'm not sure about money/deposits etc

maisie2011

Visit site
It worked very well for me as a buyer - when I first saw my mare Maisie, I wasn't sure about her, but her owners were certain I was the right person for their pony and very kindly offered her on 1 months loan and she never went home!

Is it possible the potential buyer loans her, but she stays on your yard for you to keep an eye on things? If you send her away I would suggest a month's loan maximum. Needless to day I would ensure you have an agreement made up, visit the potential home and get copies of very recent utility bills to be sure that the address given by the loanee/ buyer is who they say they are. If the buyer won't agree to these terms then be very suspicious.

Tinsel Trouble

Grantham (please don't judge me! originally from S
Visit site
I would offer her on lwvtb for a limited time only- maybe 6 weeks- and only at this time of year. I would not offer it for a summer period as you are at risk of getting the horse back once the other people have had their fun for the summer.

I would take a 10% non-returnable deposit of sale value upon commencement of the loan, and keep in contact then after 6 weeks if they are not happy you can have her back and you have not lost anything.

If you are worried about her being stressed with lots of moving, can she stay at yours during this period? That way you can be on hand to help iron out any teething problems.

nikCscott

Visit site
I bought my WB on LWVTB and I'm so glad.

His owners were looking for 'the right' person for him as he had some issues, but I was well short on the asking price so agreed to a years LWVTB at a pre agreed price in the loan agreement.

After 6 months we bought him and he is the best horse I could wish for, with now spend the rest of my life trying to make myself a worthy rider.

It can be perfect just make sure there is a pre agreed length of time when the buyer s know they'll have to cough up, pre agree a price and state it in the agreement.

Hope you get sorted

bonbeau

Visit site
Thanks.
The person asking is about an hour away so she would move. They haven't actually been to see her yet but I have had a few people ask in initial contact about loaning her, I'm just so put off after my previous experience with it!
I think a month - 6weeks is a fair trial, and a non returnable deposit would mean that they are serious, I'm just worried about getting messed around. My husband isn't horsey at all and he said about a deposit or charging them per month for a few months loan and if they wanted to buy here then deduct it from the final cost, I just haven't had any dealings with it before so I wasn't sure if it was a normal thing to do. I'm a little bit wary that if they don't want to pay up front that they don't have the money and then they'd ask to pay in installments which I wouldn't be so keen on as they could dissappear or go quiet and I don't think agreement's are strong enough if it did all go wrong! I'm not asking silly amounts for her so I don't really want to drag it out.
In an ideal world the right person would just come along and pay in full!!

be positive

Visit site
If you do let them have her lvtb a good deposit, non returnable unless she is not as described is essential.
I would want them to vet her prior to the start of the loan period, this shows their commitment to the purchase and also means that both sides know where they stand if anything should either show up at vetting or go wrong while on loan.
A very detailed agreement also needs to be in place, make sure you state what she can and cannot be used for, they also need to insure her for everything inc. vet bills.
The final thing I would suggest other than what others have said is to make sure you really feel they like her and are not just doing it to see if they can make her suit them, the loan should be just to make sure not a complete test of suitability, most things can be done while she is with you.

indi4

Visit site
I was asked this when selling my mare and a friends horse. It was important for me to find the right home for both horses but i said no, as anything can happen when they're on LWVB. What happens if the horse goes lame, or the horse comes back competely different to how they went. I did though offer to let them try the horse out a much as they wanted from my yard. This way they could give the horse a through try out, but i could keep tabs on what they were doing with them.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
No way.

I've seen how wrong it can go - broken horse returned (loaners fault) - so the horse would have to be paid for in full before it left my yard.

I would also never ask for LWVTB if I was buying because I believe that it is such a huge risk for the seller.

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
I've done two of these as a buyer and would do it again.
First one I had on loan for 9 months before buying (they were particular about the home they wanted for him)
Second one I've still got on loan and don't have to buy until October. I think it's a great for buyers and sellers if your looking for a certain home.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
No.Never again.
I let one go on a months trial and she got kicked in the field. Returned lame and with a lump on her leg. No one's fault, just very unlucky.

If you do decide to allow LWVTB, then get the vetting done before the horse leaves the yard, keep your own insurance going, get a full loan agreement and take a good, non returnable deposit.

Ranyhyn

Visit site
I have done it previously. Both myself and the lady I was loaning off were hugely open, honest and flexible and in the end it worked out really well.
However, quite hypocritically I'd never take the risk unless I knew the person well and they paid half the balance for the horse to be held til its return in the SAME state as it was loaned or better, of course. :)

indie999

Visit site
As a buyer I think its very generous for a seller to do this. As a seller I did this and he went for 6 weeks(meant to be a month but they did drag it out I think deliberately) but I knew the yard he was going to was very experienced etc.They did buy him.

I would be reluctant to loan to someone I didnt know and I would prefer them to come and try as many times as they like. I think you do need to inspect and get references from the people see the home etc speak to the neighbours and there vet they have lined up etc with their permission..

I can see both sides of the coin. I would def get some money left off them though that is returnable if the horse comes back in same condition if they dont buy.

I think two weeks is enough time to try a horse

ihatework

Visit site
I've sold a horse on a LWVTB with success.

My advice would be the following:
- Take a non-returnable deposit
- If they want the horse vetted it is done upfront before horse leaves yard
- Obtain references and proof of ID
- Have a signed contract in place
- Keep your own insurance going or insist on seeing insurance certiifcate from loaner
- Keep the trial short, 1-2 months is plenty enough
- Don't get into payment by installments, they either want the horse or they don't
- Agree price up front
- Visit the horse while on trial

Always Henesy

Visit site

- Keep your own insurance going or insist on seeing insurance certiifcate from loaner
- Don't get into payment by installments, they either want the horse or they don't
- Agree price up front

^^^THIS
Totally agree that LWVTB is a fairly reasonable request.
I bought a mare some years back, cut long story short - she was a bucking, kicking nightmare and was NOT what she was sold to me as. :(
Sold another horse (although thankfully my horse of a lifetime) - they didn't tell me that he had had a tie back operation and they KNEW when they sold him to me that he had low grade wobblers. He was sadly pts this year.
Sold my current TB as a forward going but safe hack. He rears on bridleways and I am too terrified to ride him. :(
I will NEVER buy another horse unless I could do it on a LWVTB - as every seller I have come across has LIED to me or withheld vital information. I would never trust anyone in the horse world now. So many of them have let me (and subsequently the horse) down.

Black_Horse_White

Visit site
I've brought my last 2 horse that way, only had them for 2 weeks. In that time I had them vetted and brought both before the 2 weeks were up. Just wanted to be sure they were right for me. They were both local and I insured them.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I will NEVER buy another horse unless I could do it on a LWVTB - as every seller I have come across has LIED to me or withheld vital information. I would never trust anyone in the horse world now. So many of them have let me (and subsequently the horse) down.

I understand your points and I'm sorry that you've had such an awful time. There are unfortunately alot of liers about. I still think that LWVTB is an awful lot to ask of a seller because it's such a huge risk for them to take.

I have found that if you want honesty, buying a weanling from the stud that bred it is the way to go. I also bought an adult horse via a bloodstock agent once and that was very good, but I will only buy youngstock now as I find it so rewarding. Plus if the horse is messed up, I only have myself to blame. ;)

Chestnutmare

Visit site
Wow I must be very lucky then, as I have my boy on a year loan with view to buy, negotiable price as per written on contract, owners main priority was that his horse went to a fab home!

I can understand your reasons though as if I was in your shoes would be feeling the same, I couldn't even find it in me to share my boy let alone loan out!!

Best of luck with it all though, and remember to agree price with or without equipment, and the period to which she will be on loan, a deposit will secure her and your peace of mind also, or maybe ask for all the cash up front or at least half of it?

tinap

Visit site
No I wouldn't do it.

My boy is to go up for sale in the next few months & its something people have asked if I would do. I have no objections whatsoever to someone riding him as much as they like, or me taking him to shows/pc/lesson for them but I wouldn't loan out. Read about too many horror stories

bonbeau

Visit site
Thanks for everyones points of view.
I can understand points from both sides of it.
Its a difficlut one, I think I will try and steer clear of it if I can, I am being completely honest about her, I don't understand why people lie but I know it happens a lot.
My main priority is that she goes to the best home so I would be stupid to lie or withold any information!

bonbeau

Visit site

- Agree price up front

Thanks- would definitely take all these points into consideration!

Welshie Squisher

Visit site
I let my daughters out grown pony go on LWVTB, it has worked out great.
It meant she went to the right family and I have peace of mind.
I had a written agreement, checked driving licences etc. And took a 500 pound deposit which was fully returnable if she wasn't the right pony for them.
The deposit in my opinion shouldn't be kept, the purpose is to show equal trust, therefore if the the pony isn't right after the trial then the deposit should be returned. This presuming the pony returns in the same condition both physically and behaviour wise.

I think you have to use your judgement, I wouldn't have allowed a trial to just anybody but I went with my gut feeling and I'm really happy with the end result :)

SarahRicoh

Visit site
My pony is on.lwvtb.. His owner wants a good home for him and as he has issues and is known to bolt she insisted i had him.on.a 1 month trial.then a 7mnth loan.to be bougt at end for agreed price.

Works out well for me :) we have a written loan agreement and i insure him.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Mmmm there are pro's and cons to both buyer and seller.

Buyer has the advantage of being able to thoroughly try the horse/pony out in every conceivable situation before making the commitment to buy; seller hopefully has the reassurance that the buyer really likes the animal and has tried it out thoroughly so there are no hidden "nasties".

HOWEVER - a lot can, and does, go wrong. An arrangement like this needs a lot of trust, plus commitment, from both parties.

Often IME if you let a horse out on loan or trial and there are problems (as there always are!) - then if the loaner has the horse on loan or LWVTB, they will hand the animal back rather than make the effort to sort out the problems, but if they'd committed themselves and bought it, they'd obviously HAVE to deal with it and sort it!!!

I've had a negative experience of loaning my horse out, and whilst it wasn't anything like as horrendous as some people's has been, I'd be very very warey of loaning or LWVTB ever again. Some people will take on a loan or LWVTB to just have a horse for the summer, or to do a specific thing with, i.e. they've got a friend or relative staying and just basically want a "free" horse for a period, and are not really committed to it.

But it would be nice if it could work out OK, agreed.

Bridie&theMinis

Visit site
When looking for my first riding horse, Bridie came up on offer for loan and I subsequently had her for a year before buying her. It was great for me as I really got the chance to make sure we got on (okay that wouldn't have taken a year but even a few weeks on loan would have been excellent if an option).
However, if the boot was on the other foot, and depending on the situation, I would probably be reluctant to loan first, mostly incase of injuries and unforseen circumstances. Instead I would focus on finding a really good buyer home and maybe ask for first refusal if the owner was in a position whereby they later needed to sell the horse on if appropriate.
I've successfully loaned ponies out before (minis temporarily to an open farm) and an outgrown 1st pony but tbh loan homes can take alot of effort if it wasn't going to work out and you end up with an extra animal back in your care before you expect it. If you feel comfortable with it then go for it. Its a great opportunity for the loanee to decide if your horse is going to make a good partnership.

bonbeau

Visit site
Can they loan from your yard? I can see both sides, but as the seller I would be concerned.

If they were close enough to my yard then I would just say they could come and try her as many times as they liked to get to know her better.
I don't think I want to go down any loaning routes now, just seems too risky if something was to go wrong in any aspect and I have enough to worry about!
Fingers crossed there are some serious buyers out there.
Thanks for everyones views on this :)

LiveryList

www.*******.co.uk
I would live by experience and your gut instinct as to the person who wants her. Especially if they are up for sale it only takes one wrong move for the loaner/ potential buyer to screw them up and the return them in an unsaleable condition. I loaned prior to purchase once and during the six months i loaned the mare she tore her sacro-iliac and i was told she could never jump again. I bought her as i showed anyway and planned to brreed from her but imagine if i had just given her back to her owner after the six months and gone 'no thanks'! I also loaned a pony out to potential purchasers with a view to buy to a seemingly really nice family who had come all the way from Surrey to Hampshire twice to try him and test him and we took him to their yard to check it out, kept in contact, had all the proper contracts and everything and then poof... four months later they had disappeared into thin air. Called the yard owner who said they'd left the yard and moved house. He did call me a few weeks later to say he had split up from his wife but i guess he realised i had no clue as to where Charlie the pony was and i never heard from them again and the phone number was cut off. Luckily it was quite a low value pony who i hadn't spent a lot on in the first place but to literally have him taken like that really pee'd me off! Ten years ago you could loan and trial horses out without batting an eyelid but i would never even trial before a sale now let alone loan :(

Gracie21

Visit site
Can be scary but it depends on the person and your honest opinion about them.

My forester is difficult but a talented man. It is hard for me to find someone who just ignores his antics and turns him towards the fence.

The first time he went out on loan-he went in the summer to a very good little rider, but she was only 12. Her mum had no experience but kept him at a very nice livery/riding school which was BHS approved. He came back at the end of the summer holidays with no warning. He had been beaten up in the field, fed unsoaked hay and bedded on straw (he has a mild dust allergy). He had scars, open wounds and lumps and bumps everywhere, and had been put in a martingale. He couldnt be ridden and a total arse, i had the back man out and his pelvis was twisted and ribs broken.

ALL OF THESE THINGS WERE TOLD NOT TO DO IN THE LOAN AGREEMENT..WHICH WAS SIGNED...PLUS 2 WITNESSES!! I was SOOO ANGRY and it took me a yr and a half to get him trusting a person again, let alone him working in the school correctly.

He then went out on loan again to a girl I have known through PC for many years. The family has a lot of experience and they are friends of ours. He went out as a total idiot but she still took him, loan agreement signed etc. They got on very well together, mostly hacking/xc and some schooling. UNTIL...BAM...spring grass comes through, she has exams, and yet again didn't adhere to the loan agreement (he was low mg levels which need to be controlled when the spring grass comes through by using liquid mg/calmer) and she said that he went 'loopy'. Now horses don't just go loopy....! So I had him back and I cried when I picked him up!! He was this _ close to being lamanitic), kept in a field full of rich long grass. His feet were split where they had been so long, and she hadn't had his vaccinations done when they were due (also in the loan agreement!) AGAIN, FUMING. Whats more, his saddle was trashed and I had to fork out for a new one!

Okay...so I brought him home, reduced his food intake and started to lunge him to gradually get some weight off him. It was clear he had not been brushed in a long time so I just had to pull his mane and cut his tail (which he kept standing on!). It took nearly 6 months but now he's much healthier (in this time he was kicked in the field and had a suspected fractured leg so he lost some condition then!)

I put him back up for loan again as I knew that I would never get what he is worth to sell in this market!

After lots of idiotic people, I have finally found a family who seem to really know what they are talking about. No fuss, no fancy car or lorry. Just nice people, who treat horses fairly and don't give up too easily. I am glad to say that now he is out on LWVTB in Devon (3hrs away from me) but I couldn't be happier! I have seen him once, 3 weeks after he went (he went beg of dec) and I was thrilled! He looked super and really well! I am going back in feb half term again :)

I made sure my loan agreement is super tight, and had a lawyer friend check over it. The loan is for 1year, with buy or return at the end of the year. I know they want him in the long term so things are looking hopeful. I get regular updates from the 16 & 14 year olds who ride him everyday. I have made sure their insurance covers him properly, that they have booked to have his vaccs done (I checked with the vet!) and that his feet are in good condition.

There are good loaners out there, you just have to be SUPER vigilant and really trust your first impression of the person!

Good luck :)