Zebra fly rug - too thin fabric? / recommendations

Reacher

Visit site
Hi
I’ve just bought a zebra ride-on fly rug which is quite a thin mesh fabric.
I know the stripes are supposed to stop the horse flies from landing, but if they do land, I’m wondering if they would be able to bite through the fabric as it is quite thin?
Just wondering if I should return the rug.
I’ve help the rug up to the light to show how sheer it is in 2nd photo
(It’s a white horse equestrian rug)

Alternatively can you recommend a ride on one that keeps horseflies off
Thanks
05D886B5-38E6-4CC9-B086-6519998B8E71.jpeg20DE3C60-FD86-41EE-9262-6BABA93B8CD1.jpeg

Last edited:
Visit site
I’m watching this thread with great interest as have just been looking today at getting a zebra ride on rug. If anyone can recommend any brands, I would be grateful (we struggle to get some brands over here but I’d rather buy on a recommendation). Id prefer as thin a fabric as possible, as my mare is quite a hot horse (but as a bay attracts lots of bitey things).

If anyone knows of any with a larger saddle hole even better (not essential as I’m handy with the sewing machine and I will just alter), as it needs to fit around a western saddle.

CC, what brand do you have please, as I probably will have more success ordering from “nearby”.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I got mine from Krämer. My horse, coincidentally also a bay, really sweats and gets hot easily. This rug doesn't make him too hot or sweaty. I'm not sure how big the hole is, I'd have to look again. I have seen some that are specifically for western saddles. I cannot recall if they were at Krämer or Loesdau.

Horze might have some too.

Visit site
I got mine from Krämer. My horse, coincidentally also a bay, really sweats and gets hot easily. This rug doesn't make him too hot or sweaty. I'm not sure how big the hole is, I'd have to look again. I have seen some that are specifically for western saddles. I cannot recall if they were at Krämer or Loesdau.

Horze might have some too.

Thanks CC, Kramer had a fabulous one with dangly bits too (although I wondered if my mare might keep attacking them thinking it was insects touching her ?) but when I clicked on the image on google and it is no longer stocked. They seem to have stopped the wider range they used to do for western saddles. Thanks, I will check out horze and Loesdau too ?.

paddy555

Visit site
I’m watching this thread with great interest as have just been looking today at getting a zebra ride on rug. If anyone can recommend any brands, I would be grateful (we struggle to get some brands over here but I’d rather buy on a recommendation). Id prefer as thin a fabric as possible, as my mare is quite a hot horse (but as a bay attracts lots of bitey things).

If anyone knows of any with a larger saddle hole even better (not essential as I’m handy with the sewing machine and I will just alter), as it needs to fit around a western saddle.

CC, what brand do you have please, as I probably will have more success ordering from “nearby”.

I have endurance sportsaddles (google sportsaddles if you want to see their shape) similar to a western shape.
I tried Buccas, not the zebra one but that point doesn't make much difference. It was not going to fit anything other than a typical English saddle. No stretch in it, although it was a lovely quality rug.

The best solution I found is the Amigo fly rider. They are stretchy. The material is fairly thin and lightweight and I have used them for years with these saddles. I buy a size above what I need. That way there is lots of material to play with. They do size on the small side. My 6ft 6 has an extra large and my 14.3 more chunky 6ft 3 has a large. The shorter 14.2 has a medium.

I put the back piece on and then pull it forward until it is between the saddle and saddle pad, that secures the back and then under the flaps at the side (which cover the stirrup bars) and the round the front of the saddle.
My saddles have front rings and instead of bringing the front of the back piece around and fastening the velcro over the withers as in an English saddle I have carabiner clips on the front saddle rings and fasten the hooks on the neck piece to the clips and then the velcro on the back piece to the already hooked neck piece.

None of that probably makes sense but if you have a rug and saddle it becomes more obvious.
I have 3 of these rugs (3 different size nags) and they are the only ones I can make work on an unconventional saddle.

The rug does keep the flies off and they don't bite through it. ATM they are the difference between riding or not as our horse flies are that bad.

Reacher

Visit site
Great, another thumbs up thanks - sounds like I’ll try it on tomorrow- hope I’ve bought the right size!

The rug does keep the flies off and they don't bite through it. ATM they are the difference between riding or not as our horse flies are that bad.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
My zebra rugs are really thin, but they get less bites than with a thicker sweet itch rug, because far fewer flies even try to bite.

My ride on one took some finding, as I wanted a 2 piece, so the shoulders are free.

Visit site
I have endurance sportsaddles (google sportsaddles if you want to see their shape) similar to a western shape.
I tried Buccas, not the zebra one but that point doesn't make much difference. It was not going to fit anything other than a typical English saddle. No stretch in it, although it was a lovely quality rug.

The best solution I found is the Amigo fly rider. They are stretchy. The material is fairly thin and lightweight and I have used them for years with these saddles. I buy a size above what I need. That way there is lots of material to play with. They do size on the small side. My 6ft 6 has an extra large and my 14.3 more chunky 6ft 3 has a large. The shorter 14.2 has a medium.

I put the back piece on and then pull it forward until it is between the saddle and saddle pad, that secures the back and then under the flaps at the side (which cover the stirrup bars) and the round the front of the saddle.
My saddles have front rings and instead of bringing the front of the back piece around and fastening the velcro over the withers as in an English saddle I have carabiner clips on the front saddle rings and fasten the hooks on the neck piece to the clips and then the velcro on the back piece to the already hooked neck piece.

None of that probably makes sense but if you have a rug and saddle it becomes more obvious.
I have 3 of these rugs (3 different size nags) and they are the only ones I can make work on an unconventional saddle.

Thanks for taking the time to explain that. I had a google and I’ll sadly have to opt for something cheaper, they’re out of my price range currently, they sound really good. I did wonder about the bucas as it looked a thicker fabric, so that’s helpful to know theres no stretch in it. looks like I will have to get creative with the sewing machine with whatever I buy.

Visit site
My zebra rugs are really thin, but they get less bites than with a thicker sweet itch rug, because far fewer flies even try to bite.

My ride on one took some finding, as I wanted a 2 piece, so the shoulders are free.

What make do you have? That was one of my worries with a full rug, my girl is broad across the chest and has big shoulders. Many rugs are just too restrictive, so a shoulder free option is a good idea.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I would consider more shoulder freedom if I used it more. We hack once or twice a week. Otherwise we can ride in the indoor school when it's buggy outside, so no need for an fly rug. However, everything rubs my horse and he's not exactly slender/very fine either, but I've had no issues with this rug rubbing or restricting. Plus I got it for like 30€ so I am fine with it.

Visit site
I would consider more shoulder freedom if I used it more. We hack once or twice a week. Otherwise we can ride in the indoor school when it's buggy outside, so no need for an fly rug. However, everything rubs my horse and he's not exactly slender/very fine either, but I've had no issues with this rug rubbing or restricting. Plus I got it for like 30€ so I am fine with it.

Yes, similar Here, she’s not in hard work, we do go to the forest so that was my main thought, that sounds great and the price is more what I’m thinking too. Thanks CC. ?

Reacher

Visit site

Thanks - that’s interesting. I hadn’t thought of getting a 2 piece even though I have a 2 piece hi-viz combo for that reason. Hmmm.

throwawayaccount

Visit site
i had a zebra rug a few years ago, it was great!

until my pony came in with it in shreds which was a shame. there were missing chunks that weren't accounted for and a few weeks later, we saw a fox carrying a piece of her rug. couldn't make it up!

paddy555

Visit site
Thanks for taking the time to explain that. I had a google and I’ll sadly have to opt for something cheaper, they’re out of my price range currently, they sound really good. I did wonder about the bucas as it looked a thicker fabric, so that’s helpful to know theres no stretch in it. looks like I will have to get creative with the sewing machine with whatever I buy.

no problem :) I would very much suggest a 2 piece with your saddle.
other alternative which I considered when trying to get something to fit was to cut up an old fly rug. That would be easy to make a 2 piece from.

Dontforgetaboutme

Visit site

i got my fly rider 2nd hand from marketplace. Not used yet as touch wood no horseflies here. Lots of black fly near woods/hedges though

Reacher

Visit site
It’s a pity the fly rider doesn’t seem to have colour /zebra print options else I’d be quite tempted

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
What make do you have? That was one of my worries with a full rug, my girl is broad across the chest and has big shoulders. Many rugs are just too restrictive, so a shoulder free option is a good idea.

I can't remember, it was from Europe! Got it 2 years ago.

Funnily enough though, it is now at the bottom of a rug storage bin, and Rigsby is bedecked in the back end high Viz, with added tulle skirt, and the front end being half an old zebra fly rug. If we ride out more I will dig it out, as it is pretty perfect. but atm it is in the too hard to do box! Rigsby doesn't go far.

Visit site
I can't remember, it was from Europe! Got it 2 years ago.

Funnily enough though, it is now at the bottom of a rug storage bin, and Rigsby is bedecked in the back end high Viz, with added tulle skirt, and the front end being half an old zebra fly rug. If we ride out more I will dig it out, as it is pretty perfect. but atm it is in the too hard to do box! Rigsby doesn't go far.

im loving Rigby’s hacking outfits ?

Visit site
Well, I managed to get to the tack shop in the next town today (hubby finished early so I had access to the car). Had a good chat to one of the lovely ladies working there and it turned out she was a western rider too, with a haffie.

She took me straight to the rug she uses and well, it’s just flipping perfect, it’s a Waldhausen (I am loving this brand, everything is so well made and well priced), just 299dk (around £34). Fits over my saddle, leaving just the seat and fenders free ?. It’s really adjustable too and nice quality, not too thick, not too thin.

There’s a separate neck cover too, so I might treat her to that also if needed.