Zenyatta's colt has died?

Shadowdancing

Visit site
I'm having an internet connection nightmare and can't confirm details! About 2 days ago Zenyatta had her fourth foal, a colt by War Front. I just saw on my Facebook that the foal has died, but infuriatingly I can't click through and see any details- anyone else know what happened? Poor little fella.

Alec Swan

Visit site
Just found this. A sad day for all concerned, not just the owners, but the staff and professionals too.

Panama Stallion • 8 minutes ago

VERSAILLES, KY — (April 13, 2016) It is with heavy hearts that Team Zenyatta and Lane’s End Farm must announce the passing of Zenyatta’s 2016 foal by War Front. His death occurred at approximately 9:00 am this morning due to complications of meconium aspiration syndrome. We express our deep gratitude to Dr. Peter Morresey and the professionals at Rood & Riddle Equine Hospital who worked tirelessly to support the mare and foal. Zenyatta is in good health and back home at Lane’s End Farm.

Alec.

Alec Swan

Visit site
I wonder if any thought was given to using the mare to rear an orphan. Despite her following and her dollared value, allowing her to do what nature intended wouldn't have harmed her, I feel sure. Indeed, by now I'm wondering if the owners will struggle to get her in foal this year considering that she'll be drying up her milk supply. That said, perhaps a year off won't do her any harm.

Alec.