£52.25 for opening a gate!

Dry Rot

Visit site
Well, of course, he has every right to do it, but in my opinion, bad public relations.

I had a mare foal the other day and by the next morning she had not cleansed. So I phoned the vet. We have a "free visit" day locally on Thursdays but visits have to be pre-arranged, which is fair enough. So I expected a call out fee but also knew the vet would be in the area.

As the vet opened the gate, the placenta dropped to the ground! We both laughed about it and there were some comments about the inevitable fee. The vet then attempted to hard sell me antibiotics, which the mare certainly did not need.

I've now got a bill for £52.25 for the visit which includes a discount of £2.29. I'd just about swallow the bill but the £2.29 I take as a calculated two fingered gesture.

These days, the vets always seem to be accompanied by a vet student, something I thoroughly approve of. But, on the other hand, sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander and I am wondering if I should charge for my livestock being used to demonstrate sales techniques and veterinary science? Or am I being too petty?

It's just that £2.29 (including VAT) discount that has caused me to consider this extreme over reaction!!!:eek:

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
Don't want to come across as a cowbag, but I think you should just be pleased they even offered you a discount, I am assuming as you were a non arranged call, they stopped doing whatever they were doing to come to you, it's just bloomin sods law your mare stuck the fingers up to you lol.... just put it down as one of those days...... Having the vet student there is probably a bonus, they are all fresh with new ideas and new techniques :)...ps foal pic?XX

HBM1

Visit site
Not the vet's fault it dropped out. He still made the journey and has to cover costs. Mare needs better timing.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I can see both sides of this, The fifty two quid could so easily have been set aside, which would be good public relations IMO. I agree about the students as well, when our excellet vet retired he sent us a card thanking for helping to train the new vets :) Some of the students aare excellent, some appear to think that they are the only people on earth able to obtain a degree (and that is before they have done!).

BlackRider

Visit site
Sorry, you'd arranged the call out, so you have to pay the visit cost regardless of what they did (or didn't)...

Dry Rot

Visit site
It wasn't so much the call out fee but the £2.29 discount!

My first reaction was that it was a mistake. How much good will is that meant to buy?

In the future, I shall definitely be charging for the use of my premises and livestock for student training purposes, if only with my tongue firmly in my cheek!;)

I am a vet college reject and have no rosey notions of vets. I've met good ones and bad ones -- and some very greedy ones who never give a sucker a break. Maybe if I was 15 again, £2.29 would impress me, but I'm not and it doesn't.:rolleyes: Or at least, not in the right way.

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site

My first reaction was that it was a mistake. How much good will is that meant to buy?

In the future, I shall definitely be charging for the use of my premises and livestock for student training purposes, if only with my tongue firmly in my cheek!;)

I am a vet college reject and have no rosey notions of vets. I've met good ones and bad ones -- and some very greedy ones who never give a sucker a break. Maybe if I was 15 again, £2.29 would impress me, but I'm not and it doesn't.:rolleyes: Or at least, not in the right way.

Was the £2.29 a discount for a previous bill paid promptly, my vet has that system, you get 10% off the next bill ? Not sure why any discount wouldn't be welcome.

If the £50 odd is the normal callout fee (with another charge for examining) then I'm not sure what the gripe is, they came out? If the gripe is the discount I'm sure they will be happy to not give any discount on the bills in future if you ask them?:))

zippo

Visit site

Why not go back to Vet School and ask very politely if they will have you back,then after you graduate you'll never need to call a vet again.

Archangel

Visit site
I would have expected that amount tbh and my vet does the discount thing as I have my credit card details lodged with them :eek::cool: I blame the mare :D

callmelucky

Visit site
£50 call out is pretty standard imo.... my 2yo had vet yest, call out etc and i know my bill will be over £100 even though there wasnt really anything to be done. but i called them out and i will pay the bill, id rather pay for a false alarm than the other way round. as for the discount...ur lucky to even get one.

Superhot

Visit site
A free visit seems like a good idea, not something my vet ever did...to be fair, he isn't charging you for simply opening the gate, he came prepared to examine and treat your mare with whatever was required. It was not his fault that his expertise wasn't required and that you declined his suggestion of
a/b's. Time is money in most walks of life, plus of course, with a vet, doctor, solicitor etc, you have to pay for the years of learning that has gone before in order for them to qualify and become a professional.
I think that your vet was trying to be fair in giving you 5% discount rather than none, but as it is such a paltry sum, you have taken offence. Shame. Put it behind you and enjoy your new foal, such an exciting time. Piccies please!!!!

Horse*

Visit site
I don't think I quite understand your point about them bringing students. The vets don't financially benefit from having students with them. IMO students getting as much hands on experience as possible will make them better vets in years to come.

FionaM12

Visit site
What does "free visit" mean then? :confused: If no treatment was required, what was the £52 for, if not for the visit? :confused:

Genuine question, I'm sure the bill had a breakdown.

shadowboy

Visit site
What does "free visit" mean then? :confused: If no treatment was required, what was the £52 for, if not for the visit? :confused:

Genuine question, I'm sure the bill had a breakdown.
free visits usually mean thst certain yards on certain postcodes have free call out days. e.g. out yard is in a postcode that has a free call out day on a friday. this is because there will be a vet already in that area anyway doing routine stuff. So... it is a heafty bill really for a free visit day as the vet was in this post code anyway.

Our vets do it too and its supposed to make things cheaper for the owner. You are therefore only supposed to be charged for any assessment/work done/treatment.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
our vets do it too, it cannot be used for 'new cases' but for vaccinations and further check ups (so would have to be pre booked too). So if horse is lame you won't get a free call out for the first visit but will for any further visits if you arrange them for a Tuesday.

Aru

Visit site
You were not entitled to a free visit as you called in an emergency that the vet would have dropped other calls organised to get to...and you were lucky enough that your mare dropped the cleanings and was not seriously ill...and you refused the advised treatment(antibiotics would very much be advised once the cleanings were held for a substantial time) and you giving out because of the discount given????? Your comments about students come across another way of complaining about costs and money..or at least thats how I read it so yes I would say petty. would you rather all new qualified vets never get experience until they are set loose from uni? Vets do not gain financially from having students...the main benifit is hearing the newest treatment protocols from the collages bit most vets keep up to date anyway.They do slow you down..ask half a dozens of questions and are another person whose safety have to worry about on a farm.....but its an essential part of the training..... Public relations do not come into it unless you were an exceptionally longterm good client who always paid promptly without complaint.....and seeing as you have said in other posts that you use lots of different vets to keep them on their feet I cant see why the vet would feel any desire to try and win you as a client by giving you a free emergency callout...esp when you wouldnt listen to advise and take antibiotics for the mare...

Dry Rot

Visit site
You were not entitled to a free visit as you called in an emergency that the vet would have dropped other calls organised to get to...and you were lucky enough that your mare dropped the cleanings and was not seriously ill...and you refused the advised treatment(antibiotics would very much be advised once the cleanings were held for a substantial time) and you giving out because of the discount given????? Your comments about students come across another way of complaining about costs and money..or at least thats how I read it so yes I would say petty. would you rather all new qualified vets never get experience until they are set loose from uni? Vets do not gain financially from having students...the main benifit is hearing the newest treatment protocols from the collages bit most vets keep up to date anyway.They do slow you down..ask half a dozens of questions and are another person whose safety have to worry about on a farm.....but its an essential part of the training..... Public relations do not come into it unless you were an exceptionally longterm good client who always paid promptly without complaint.....and seeing as you have said in other posts that you use lots of different vets to keep them on their feet I cant see why the vet would feel any desire to try and win you as a client by giving you a free emergency callout...esp when you wouldnt listen to advise and take antibiotics for the mare...

Well, a sigh of relief from me that you are not my vet! But then perhaps you are?:rolleyes:

I'm a farmer and have been around stock all my life. What is more I was at vet college and know full what goes on. I do not need the social grooming that is aimed at the young owners who know no better, just the diagnosis and treatment. My grumble was good natured humour. That's what farmers do. Grumble!:p 5% discount? Come off it!

My previous vet was a great guy but he got a lot of flak when he moved into the area because it broke up a very cosy monopoly. Sadly, he has now retired -- but it was not unknown for him to occasionally consult ME. It was that sort of relationship. Sadly, many young vets know it all.

The assistant vet here the other day was given me a hard sell on antibiotics that were not needed for a healthy mare who had been a bit slow to cleanse but had otherwise been through a normal and trouble free pregnancy. I think I know my own stock. I do not medicate unnecessarily, I've lambed hundred, possibly thousands, of lambs and it is not my way to gratuitously fill them full of antibiotics. I was pleased to point out to the student what an excellent job the vet was doing in attempting to rake in few extra pounds for unwanted medications and I have no doubt the truth of that made her squirm! (The mare is fine, btw).

IF the mare had still not cleansed by the time the vet had arrived, I would have expected her to have given an injection of oxytocin. That's all that was needed. In fact, the senior partner had suggested giving me a bottle for my own use last time he was here. It is not rocket science.

Yes, I use different vets as I am perfectly entitled to do as stated by the Office of Fair Trading who carried out an investigation into the widespread monopolistic practices of vets. I use the best for the task in hand as any sensible person would do. Not all vets are good with all species, some are not good with any!;)

jenniaddams

Visit site
Och, just pay the bill and don't be petty. Any discount is a good discount, and surely an 'all ends well' is the desired scenario. Life's too short to grump about vets, vet pupils etc because you 'know the inside story'.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Och, just pay the bill and don't be petty. Any discount is a good discount, and surely an 'all ends well' is the desired scenario. Life's too short to grump about vets, vet pupils etc because you 'know the inside story'.

^ :D

OP - my callout is £52.95 PLUS VAT.
Yes, I can take mine over to the (very good equine) surgery if I wish for routine works or operations etc, but in an emergency the ££'s is what is charged.
I'm right on the edge of their area tho, so I expect the higher charge for them to come to me :)

The most local vet is £29.00 plus VAT for callout, but they have no surgery for equines - and their costs for vaccs, pots & potions vastly exceed any other vets in the area (see, they make up for cheaper callout by charging for items used :rolleyes:) They also have a very very high turnover of mostly new out of college staff, which is never good for business. (not the newly qualified, but the turnover changing usually 3 to 6 months at best)

Last edited:

mcnaughty

Visit site
I had a vet come out to give my mare her last jab before foaling and he charged me an additional £30 for a "consulation" which was a response to the question "how does she look to you?" !!!

Honestly, his response was "yes she looks great"!

I do not use that practice any more!

ollski

Visit site
I've just had my bill for laminitis treatment, our vet made 3 visits one of them to tape frog supports to her feet the other 2 just for visual progress checks. She lives 10 minutes away but works for a practice based miles away. Just found out that those 3 visits have cost me 300 in travel alone!

caseycat

Visit site
OP i get what you are saying, you are not quibling the bill or saying that the charge is unjustified, but i agree the discount is hardly worth the effort and feels more of a snub than if they just charged the full amount, which is what you were expecting.
The charging for student vet was just a light hearted comparison not a real threat.
Hope mare and foal are both doing well.

Ladyinred

Visit site
I have a friend whose cat was hit by a car late at night. She is a single mum and couldn't leave home to rang her vet, who lives nearby, and who agreed to come out and PTS.

When she got the bill she had an after-hours call out, which she fully expected, and examination fee, the fee for the PTS, VAT and a mysterious £35 that she couldn't work out, and neither could the receptionist. Receptionist went away and asked the vet and rang her back. Even the recep. sounded disbelieving when she told my friend that the vet was charging the extra because 'he had to get out of bed and get dressed'!! So WTF does the out of hours charge include?

She did get the charge waived but only after a lengthy 'discussion'

Unbelievable.