£94 for saddle check reflocking etc. Is that a rip off?

pepsimaxrock

Visit site
question in the title really. I think £49 for a call out £20 for reflocking and £25 for width adjustment is beyond the pale.
Any views

nato

Visit site
Seems like really good value to me. Where I am we pay £50 for a call out, £50 for reflocking and then it's case by case for whatever adjustments need to be made

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I've paid between £40 and £60 for a check and £20 - £25 for a reflock with various saddlers. And sometimes travel on top but that's where I'm asking someone to come outside their main area.

Micropony

Visit site
I have paid more than that for similar, sounds to me like you've got a good deal as long as the work is good and the horse is comfortable!

zaminda

Visit site
I pay £35 for a saddle check. I would say that's about right for a competent professional to do a good job. Did she do it on site? There will always be cheap options, they are not always good options, unless it still didn't fit I would be happy with that.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
The actual amount you are being asked to pay is about right, the fact that it's broken down & mentions a £49 call out fee makes it sound too expensive.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
question in the title really. I think £49 for a call out £20 for reflocking and £25 for width adjustment is beyond the pale.
Any views
I pay £ 45 for a saddle check to included call out and saddle was my late mares and had sat around for two years so was gutted and reflocked and cost £ 95.

When you think of what could happen if you don't have them coming out and fitting correctly. The pain would not just be in your pocket believe me.

peaceandquiet1

Visit site
Our saddler charges about that and spends half her time in her holiday home in Turkey, I think she has done well out of it but her saddles always fit.....sound s like a lot but the costs of running a business can be astronomical and need to be covered.

Luci07

Visit site
Our saddler charges about that and spends half her time in her holiday home in Turkey, I think she has done well out of it but her saddles always fit.....sound s like a lot but the costs of running a business can be astronomical and need to be covered.
Upto her how she spends her money...and if we are honest, if we didn't have horses then we could all afford lovely holidays!

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
My van costs a FORTUNE to run, other costs too, especially the amount of time I spend in the office which doesn't pay a penny - a customer booking can take up to two hours of my time to take, and prepare in full for, it doesn't take many to change their minds to cost me a lot. £49 (well, £50) for me would be a callout of up to an hour away (over half an hour), flocking is £20-30 (£50 if unusually I need to drop the whole panel) and a tree adjustment £50. So no, your charges sound entirely reasonable, though callout would depend on how far they're coming.

I'm clearly not charging enough though as I barely get time off let alone half the year abroad!

peanuts1984

Visit site
ive apid anything from £60 - 200 depending what needed doing,

infact a very old retired saddler costs £20 near us but he only does a few saddles a month

Annagain

Visit site
I've paid not much less than that (for a total reflock) and that's with me taking the horse to the saddler!

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I paid about that for a fitting and a re-flock, plus a few minor repairs to the saddle stitching etc. Was this a qualified Master Saddler? Were you happy with the saddle's fit? Did you feel that they had taken due care to ensure a good job well done? Had they travelled out to your yard?

If the answer to these questions is "yes", then TBH I don't think there is a lot to grouse about, although none of us likes parting with our cash and that's for sure!

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
No- I have paid more for similar. If you take into the consideration that amount of time & skill it takes to do an excellent job, it's not a huge amount of money.

D66

Visit site
I've just booked the saddle fitter for next week. £50 call out, £50 tree adjusting. If it only needs flocking, a bit less. Plus VAT.
I don't suppose he will get another appointment that morning, and has to pay for van, fuel, phone, advertising, training, and tax before paying for rent and food. Doesn't seem unreasonable.

nicelittle

Visit site
We paid £150 for a saddler to come and glance at the saddle (which they had supplied and fitted a year before) and say that they couldn't do anything to make it fit. They stayed all of 5 mins. Not happy.