‘Novice’ getting first horse!

Skib

sites.google.com
I am asked by someone superior to me on this forum why I should want to be educated by trainers who are now apparently reported as mistreating their horses.

First because in academic life one is encouraged to look at allsources and to all interpretations of them. An American on the New Rider forum advised me to try and watch and read everyone. Never to follow a particular school or teacher. Reading Lenin or Hitler does not make one a totalitarian.

Secondly I have never been to a Parelli demo but I and my grand daughter have been well taught by trainers whowere themselves influenced by Parelli - as Tik Maynard indirectly probably was.
I also went to a demo by Leslie Desmond (author of the book on Tom Dorrance) who explained the disadvantages of Parelli training, the habits acquired by horses may be it was yielding their quarters. I am too old now to remember.

That was about 15 years ago - Horsemanship is cultural and develops - it was no crime in 2005 to want to look at how that was continuing.

Tonto_

Visit site
I rode and worked with horses for 9 years before I got a share, then a few years later (8months ago) I got a loan horse, Ive found it a huge jump from even sharing to loaning, so I would second others suggestions and get a share first!

Bellaboo18

Visit site
Buying your first horse is a huge step and im sure it'll be overwhelming at times but as long as you go in to it with your eyes wide open you'll be fine. I think the most important thing is to have someone experienced to support and teach you along the way. Buy something that has been there and done it, that's as bombproof as they come. Set yourself up to succeed.
I think you'd be very very lucky to find a bombproof horse with an owner that's willing to let a novice rider share it.

JFTDWS

Visit site
why I should want to be educated by trainers who are now apparently reported as mistreating their horses.

Just to be clear, they're not "reported" as mistreating their horses. There are videos of them doing it which are publicly available despite the best efforts of the Parellis. This is not a case of "apparently reported as mistreating", it's a case of genuine and appalling mistreatment.

That said, I agree that in principle you can learn from everyone, even if all you learn is how to do it wrong. The Parellis are a lovely demonstration of that, certainly.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Why anyone would want to follow a training style that includes withholding water (Pat) and beating up blind horses with a heavy lead rope clip (Linda) is another question.

Not to mention Catwalk. In a packed public arena, as well.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Not to mention Catwalk. In a packed public arena, as well.

Yes that one was awful. :(

RE Skib's post (number 28 on this thread) I have to admit that I initially misread it and thought that they were saying that you needed to own your own horse to do Parelli because the owner of a share/part loan horse was unlikely to give permission for it to be done on a horse which is not Parelli trained. On re-reading I now think that they meant that you need your own horse to take part in the Parelli demonstrations/clinics.

However, I did not intend to imply that I was superior to Skib. I don't know where they got that impression from, but I am sorry that they felt I had done so. I guess it's the joy of the written word on forums again - people can read it with a tone that was not intended by the writer.

MissTyc

Visit site
One of the reasons I tend to advise new owners to get a share or a loan before buying their own, is that once you are riding every day you tend to improve very quickly and expectations etc change quickly. I know many people who have 2-3 horses because they rushed into buying the first and sensibly bought something that could teach them a thing or two ... but then that love horse #1 gave them the confidence to go a bit faster, jump a bit higher ... and so horse #2 came along :p and so on! Some people find it easy enough to sell horses on, but others seem to find it very hard to say goodbye.

Moogleberry

Visit site
Hi

I haven’t read all the replies so may be repeating what others have said, I was in your position and bought my boy four years ago.

Owning and being in a riding school are so different it’s unbelievable. I bought a fab little cob gelding easy in the ground not the most comfortable ride, but safe! He has thrown plenty at us to deal with and I would not have wanted anything hotter or more lively. I have a great support network including a very capable daughter to ride him out and about to test him in new situations for me. I have an amazing instructor who has supported us no end. Our yard (we are on DIY) is really supportive and you can’t overestimate how important that is

Now we have bought a lorry and I’m boxing out to dressage comps and fun rides and clinics and having a great time.

Choose your yard, instructor and most importantly horse with great care, take an instructor to view with you and try out the horse as much as you can (hacking, in the school, loading, lifting feet, catching from the field etc etc) and you’ll have a blast and learn a lot!

ezililaur

Visit site
You sound like you're going in with your eyes wide open.

As you have the support network and will be on full livery I would take the plunge. There's never really a "right time" to buy a horse. I take it you have been doing things like mucking out and grooming at the riding school? Turning out and bringing in? Just be careful when you start to view horses. Really take your time and try to have a couple of viewings. Don't feel rushed or pushed in to anything. Take someone very knowledgable and get the horse vetted. Don't give too much away when it comes to what you're looking for when talking with a seller. They sometimes have a way of making the horse sound perfect for you.

You never stop learning with horses, every day is a school day. No matter how long you've been around them, we all hear or see something you've never heard about or seen before!

Trouper

Visit site
I love your enthusiasm CG and the very sensible approach you are taking to having your own horse. There may be a way of combining all the advice you have had on here and your own wishes and that is to go to the horse charities and see what they have that might suit you. You can talk through your abilities and the horses' characteristics for as long as you like and try many to find the right one. The beauty of it is that the horse might stay with you for its life but if your riding and caring abilities "outgrow" the horse there is a safe home waiting for him if/when you want to move on to something else. You have nothing to lose!!

Charlie_girl

New User
Visit site
Join dodgy dealers on facebook and steer clear of any that have a bad reputation. Many of these prey on the just-out-of-riding-school clients.
Wow I’ve been looking at the dodgey dealer Facebook page. Wow, there are so many people that falsely advertise the horses - definitely an eye opener. Thank you for suggesting

Charlie_girl

New User
Visit site
Hi

I haven’t read all the replies so may be repeating what others have said, I was in your position and bought my boy four years ago.

Owning and being in a riding school are so different it’s unbelievable. I bought a fab little cob gelding easy in the ground not the most comfortable ride, but safe! He has thrown plenty at us to deal with and I would not have wanted anything hotter or more lively. I have a great support network including a very capable daughter to ride him out and about to test him in new situations for me. I have an amazing instructor who has supported us no end. Our yard (we are on DIY) is really supportive and you can’t overestimate how important that is

Now we have bought a lorry and I’m boxing out to dressage comps and fun rides and clinics and having a great time.

Choose your yard, instructor and most importantly horse with great care, take an instructor to view with you and try out the horse as much as you can (hacking, in the school, loading, lifting feet, catching from the field etc etc) and you’ll have a blast and learn a lot!
Thank you so much for your experience and supportive words! It’s a big new world but I’m excited!!

HazuraJane

Visit site
The "right" livery set up is as important as the "right" horse for a novice owner. The right set up should involve having people on hand who can help you with handling, on the ground training and horse management. However, that shouldn't rely on experienced owners who are trying to get on with their own horses - it should be someone you're willing to pay, not just for lessons but for every aspect of their expertise. In my experience, novice owners sometimes underestimate the amount of help they need, even just asking numerous simple questions, which can make a significant impact on the "advice source" and lead to resentment if they're not paid for the time they spend dealing with these sorts of things. It's not enough to be willing to learn - you have to be pro-active in your learning, not just willing to ask people as you go, and you have to be willing to pay for people's help as there are generally limits on how often they're willing to stop what they're doing and come and sort out your horse instead of their own.

Proper full livery is a good idea to avoid this - although you still need to be able to judge whether the yard is really doing the best for your horse as many don't, despite high prices and good reputations.
This reply is so solid and true. As a beginner, I paid a trainer to work with my horse, give me lessons on my horse, and I also gave the trainer cash every now and again for putting up with my oddly specific questions whilst the trainer was doing other jobs on the yard. As a result, my reputation remained that of a beginner but the difference was, I was a beginner who was (hopefully) respected for knowing what I DIDN'T know. The wear and tear that constant questions (and you will have them) take on the relationships within the livery yard should not be underestimated.