1 metre or 1.10?!

DellaMoon

Visit site
My 6yr old is coming back into work after ten days off with an over reach and I'm bored and planning her next few outings!

Now, the question! She showjumps up 1.25 at home and 1.10 competing and her cross country is outstanding, she's jumped the odd novice fence but has mostly done 3'3, very brave and careful. Now, there's an unaffiliated ODE at Keysoe on the 7th of June and I can't decide whether to do the 1m or the 1.10! I've looked at the interactive course and it doesn't look too much for her technically but it's hard to see how big they are. What do people think?!

Thank you for your help!

Bossanova

Visit site
The 1.10 will probably be pretty much the BE novice track so it depends on whether you would enter a BE novice on her or not really....

Kentisheventer

Visit site
generally, novice (1.10) is a big step up from PN, and will require a lot more of the horse technicality wise. Id go for the 1.00, and then perhaps try a 1.10 next time.

ChestnutMonty

Visit site
personally i'd enter the 1m - better off finding it easy than too hard! You can always do the 1.10m next time
smile.gif

Nats_uk

Visit site
If the 1m runs over the PN and 1.10 over the Nov course a couple of weeks ago then having walked the courses there is a huge jump in technicality, height and difficulty between the two.

Personally I would do the 1m this time and then aim to do the 1.10 on your next outing

DellaMoon

Visit site
The problem is that there's not many unaffiliated events that go to 1.10. I'm going to affiliate next year but want to be in a position to win points straight away rather than pay out loads of money for schooling rounds. Is the course different to their interactive pictures? I didn't think they looked to tricky. She ate up the open at Isleham two weeks ago which was much more technical than the Keysoe pics.

millitiger

Visit site
i would do the 1m course- and bear in mind no matter how many unaffiliated classes you do this year there are very few horses that go straight into BE Novice nowadays- especially without a top pro on their back and that is for a very good reason.

DellaMoon

Visit site
Lovely photo!

Thank you for all your advice, definitely food for thought. Thing is I'm not going straight into novice height, she's jumped enough BE100 courses (Carlton, Ely, Isleham) just not at a BE competition. Maybe I'll see if I can go and have a look at the course as I'm not too far away. Still don't think those pictures show anything she's not more than capable of doing but it is hard to tell in 2D rather than big and solid in front of you!

This is Fallon by the way

wow2.jpg

TableDancer

Visit site
FWIW even the top eventing pros usually start their horses with the odd PN - even if they have come from a SJ background, for instance. If she's as good as you hope, and she's only 6, it's worth taking your time and keeping her confidence up. Good luck
smile.gif

Horsemad12

Visit site
IF the open at Islham was over the full BE novice course then I am sure you would be fine. However there is every chance it was over the PN course. If you can check on EWW website or with someone that knows then go for it.

Otherwise I would go for the 1m class, she is only 6 so there is no rush.

Saratoga

Visit site
I'd agree with all others, go for the 1m this time. No point in rushing into something on a young talented horse and something going wrong.