1* Rules have changed.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
Now you can qualify with 4 clears xc at novice and 16 pens or less Sj so SC and I have both qualified if this is correct.

Having walked Aldon I think this is fair to do this because the 2DE was no different to a normal novice and the 1* was not as big as an intermediate but was pretty techincal. I would call it a Novice +.

LEC

Visit site
According to eventing magazine CCI 1*

The change is designed to bring it into line with the higher levels where you do not need to compete at the level above to qualify.

CIC1* there will be 4 of them running next year as so popular at Gatcombe. One in each area of the country.

LEC

Visit site
Actually I think a CCI 1* is a step up from novice so will see what happens. Having walked Aldon and having my 4 clears at novice under my belt I would not have gone out tomorrow and done the CCI 1*. I think more experience is needed and will probably stick with my plan of doing a late one next year. It just means I save around £300 with not having to do a 2DE.

BBs

Visit site
Thats great news
smile.gif

Like you say, a lot of money saved without having to do the 2DE, however, I bet the poor sods who did do the 2DE at Aldon to qualify for a CCI* are gutted.

H-J

www.piczo.com
Yes bit of a bummer for them
frown.gif

Im planning to do Gatcome 1* next year so I dont need to do a 2day Novice but I will do one anyway (if I can) for the experience
smile.gif

LEC

Visit site
I think it will be very interesting. There are a lot of novice level riders out there who would never have considered doing a 1* who now might as the 2DE was very prohibitive and intermediate was maybe a step too far.

BBs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
They will probably need more than 4 in the country then.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thinking the same thing DD.
They could end up shooting themselves in the foot now lol

LEC

Visit site
FEI rules do not allow nose nets but you could always aim for Weston Park or Aldon which are both in October. Also could you not line his nostrels with vaseline? Works very well for hay fever sufferers.

Acolyte

Visit site
Well done on qualifying
smile.gif
smile.gif
I am rather envious I must admit, I would love to say I had a 1* but I'm not really even brave enough for a Novice unless its an easy one
blush.gif
crazy.gif

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Not sure it is the wisest rule change. At least at 2* and above there is a selection of CIC's that can be used to qualify and ensure combinations are ready. It is a shame there are nor more CIC* that can be used to qualify as this would be a good stepping stone. CCI* can be quite a step up from Novice particularly for the inexperienced or those that just expect a 3 day at Novice standard. If someone does 4 easy Novices and then goes to a CCI* they are in for a shock.

That said if you are sensible and get a few decent Novices under your belt it certainly going to save people money by not having to do a 2 day. I do think a reasonably straighforward intermediate or 2 would stand people in best stead for a CCI*.

Bossanova

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
That said if you are sensible and get a few decent Novices under your belt it certainly going to save people money by not having to do a 2 day. I do think a reasonably straighforward intermediate or 2 would stand people in best stead for a CCI*.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree

LEC

Visit site
I can see it being a massive benefit for people in Scotland having this rule change.

1* is same dimensions as Novice but longer course and more technical.

LEC

Visit site
CIC1* you only need 2 novice clears as its a 1DE. Again its a more technical longer novice.

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
And please explain what the difference is between these - is it purely that one is over 3 days, the other in 1?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a lot. More trot ups in the 3 day and the course will be longer by probably a couple of minutes. SJing and dressage are the same.

SpottedCat

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Actually I think a CCI 1* is a step up from novice so will see what happens. Having walked Aldon and having my 4 clears at novice under my belt I would not have gone out tomorrow and done the CCI 1*. I think more experience is needed and will probably stick with my plan of doing a late one next year. It just means I save around £300 with not having to do a 2DE.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree - there is no way I would have been ready to do the CCI* at Aldon this year, even though I was qualified for it (though not by close of entries I guess!).

However after another season of carefully selected novices to include venues like Stockland Lovell which are tougher than say Broadway or West Wilts I think we'll be up for the challenge.

As someone who works full time, not having to take the time off for a N2D is also good, plus the cost factor. It also means I can plan my season with less of a 'must get ready for N2D in May' mentality.

The deciding factor for me will be the improvement (or not) in our dressage marks - if the dressage ain't gonna be good enough, I am not going to fork out the entry fee, diesel, food, stabling costs etc for the CCI*.

SpottedCat

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Not sure it is the wisest rule change. At least at 2* and above there is a selection of CIC's that can be used to qualify and ensure combinations are ready. It is a shame there are nor more CIC* that can be used to qualify as this would be a good stepping stone. CCI* can be quite a step up from Novice particularly for the inexperienced or those that just expect a 3 day at Novice standard. If someone does 4 easy Novices and then goes to a CCI* they are in for a shock.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although I have not ridden at intermediate, I've walked a few courses, and my opinion is my horse and I will cope fine with CCI* but would be out of our depth with Intermediate dressage and SJ next year. It would encourage me to rush him to an intermediate before he and I are perhaps ready because his XC is more than up to CCI* and probably intermediate at the right venue. However CCI* dressage and SJ are no worse than the harder BD novices and a decent Newcomers, both of which we can do wihtout being too far outside our comfort zone.

I think people should be credited with a little intelligence - after all if you did one (or even 4) easy PNs then did a Novice at somewhere like Stockland Lovell you could come up against the same kind of issues as doing 4 novices at easy venues and then doing a CCI* surely? And to a greater extent as PN to N you are going up a level, whereas N to CCI*, yes more fences are at max height/technicality, but nothing is vastly bigger than you have been doing previously?

Just a thought - I may find that next season/after my CCI*/after doing an intermediate (if the latter ever happens) I agree with you as obviously I don't have the experience you guys do!

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
I do see where you are coming from and I certainly don't mean to be critical. I just feel that some people without experience and appropriate advice and help will try to take on too much too quickly.

SpottedCat

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I do see where you are coming from and I certainly don't mean to be critical. I just feel that some people without experience and appropriate advice and help will try to take on too much too quickly.

[/ QUOTE ]

God no - I didn't take it personally - I just think that when you ahve done it you look back and go 'bloody hell' and forget you survived so there is a tendancy to want to 'baby sit' other people - I don't mean that horribly, frankly I need all the advice I can get and will not be knocking anyone's opinions!

Interestingly I asked Bill Levett what he thought I should do (Novice 2 day or Intermediate) and he said 'why anyone would want to do an intermediate just to qualify for something at a lower level when there is a way to do it at the same level is beyond me' (or words to that effect anyway - it was some months ago!)

Like I say, I am open to advice about which novices I should be running at etc. Of course if our SJ and dressage suddenly becomes significantly better over the winter then maybe I might have a crack at intermediate, but my gut feeling is I need to consolidate with a good year of novice doing testing tracks and lots of XC clinics before I even think about whether I and he are ready for intermediate.