1 step forward, 2 back - grr - SJ rant

lisab

Visit site
Why is it so blooming hard to move forward? I've had confidence issues which I thought I'd resolved (long boring story). I've had some sessions with a fab therapist and thought all was cured. We won our last competition (3ft 3 Weston Lawns last Sat). Then some poor girl suffered an horrendous rotational fall straight after me. Neither she nor the horse were hurt badly, but this seems to have put me back again. I had been creating problems for myself by exaggerating how big and wide the fences were but had resolved this with my therapy sessions. And then....

Went for a lesson yesterday, the jumps looked fine. But I couldn't see a stride to save my life. It started off a bit sticky, had a fab bit in the middle with some brilliant jump -off turns. And then went boobs up - I knew we had no stride so had to turn away. And then got in too deep. And then too far off. And then horse pulls himself up (not stopped, just pulled up about 5 strides away - he obviously couldn't see his stride either bless him!)

It ended up ok and I didn't ask for the fences to be lowered but it is SO frustrating.

My issues seemed to have come from a fall 2 years ago when I broke my wrist but I thought I'd gotten over that. I wasn't worried about the height/width but just couldn't see a stride for toffee.

Sorry for the ramble but it's really getting on my nerves :mad:

NR99

Visit site
It ended up ok and I didn't ask for the fences to be lowered but it is SO frustrating.

:

Sorry but this comment makes me think you might be putting to much pressure on yourself and maybe your horse. No harm in putting fences down, that way you can concentrate on the job in hand rather than using all your energy calming your nerves.

Speak to any respected trainer and they will tell you it's not about the height it's technique. I think if you work on your rhythm and you get yourself in a relaxed frame of mind you'll find it, you will see the strides coming to you - just don't try so hard. :):)

Everyone gets nerves at some point, it's naf but just give yourself time and you'll soon be raring to go!

Good luck:D

vam

Visit site
Put the fences down! You need to go back to your comfort zone for a while IMO, have some fun and then start to progress again. Good luck :)

^^^ this.
Stop worrying about seeing a stride for a while and work on the canter & rhythm. Have fun and dont pressure yourself and It will all start coming together and you can then think about moving up.

lisab

Visit site
Thank you for your replies.

A much happier Teebagsmum this evening, I am glad to report.

We had a play in the field this afternoon after work. Did lots of canter with me singing Nellie the Elephant out loud to keep the rythm (tip off someone on here - can't remember who, but thank you very much whoever you are - works a treat).

And did some Tim Stockdale 5-stride walk-canter-walk (thank you Kerilli). Toledo found this very exciting for some reason, so it ended up more walk-5 strides canter-bit of a shuffle for 3 strides-walk-yippee! canter.

And some flying change figure of eights, which Teebag always enjoys and gets a bit strong and throws in the occasional buck.

But we had fun.

Then walked my 3 hooligan dogs over the moor and got soaked. Then had a pint of cider with my friend in the pub.

So much happier now.

I know I need to stop stressing. When I stop stressing, it all falls into place. I am not a crap rider and I have a fab, scopey horse. I just get frustrated because I know we can do better (used to fly round NC without a care in the world) and I put too much pressure on myself.

Anyway, onwards and upwards, try again Saturday ;)

lisab

Visit site
Please read - I want you all to see I've stopped moaning!!!
And at least the form seems to be working today and is not chucking me out over and over again.