10 yr old gelding very stiff, cant cross left hind over right

sarah&max

Visit site
Hi All - My 10 year old gelding has started going very stiff in the hind end over the last 6 weeks. I have had a chiro out, Equine TTouch, saddle and teeth check, and no one can find anything obvious. He has a slightly dipped back, but no pain along it with palpitation etc. He is weak behind so i know some specific muscle building schooling may help, but I have done this and do not seem to be getting any results. He will gladly cross his right hind over his left when turning on a tight circle, but I have to really ask him to cross his left over, and he swishes his tail with it also. He just generally seems stiff all the way along when riding. Any one have any ideas what it might be, or what i should do? I am thinking of giving him some time off, as I have had him since he was 6 months old, and hes never really had any time off over the 6 years hes been riding, and then starting some sort of top line / muscle building rehab programme maybe, with lunging and long lining etc, pole work, or should I go straight down the vet route? ps i have started using a magnetic rug, and I can visily see his hind end muscles really relax after use, and his hind legs are much easier to lift up and stretch behind him. Any info greatly appreciated. xx

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Are you really sure he is 100% sound? I am in no way saying your incompetent but sometimes when your looking at the same horse horse year in year out you kind if get used to how they look, and sometimes lameness can be so subtle us horse owners cant always see it, might be worth getting a vet to have a proper look at him moving.

On the Hoof

Visit site
I would agree with getting a vet out. My horse was subtly not right and all the usual checks showed nothing , but the vet noticed a slight tilt to the head and subsequent neck and back xrays showed some arthritis in neck and lumbar spine. Im not saying its arthritis, but I agree with the others, we see our horses day in day out and we can miss subtle signs. You know that something isn't right so get a vet to do a work up.