100g turnout that are waterproof?

MagicMelon

Visit site
Looking to get new 100g turnouts but I really want them to actually be waterproof and not shower proof which I find pointless. Standard necks. Ive always thought 600 deniers leak badly and I normally need 1200d + but they seem hard to find!

Recommendations please?

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Rambo Original with leg arches.

My 100g Rambos are my default winter rug, layering up with a liner if necessary.

This.

I also have a Premier Equine from last year with a liner but I prefer the Rambo and Horseware liners. My about 100g is my most used rug. I bought it gently used a few years ago and it's still going strong.

Widgeon

Visit site
At the other end of the cost scale from PE, I really like my Gallop 100g Xtra. I have the version with a neck but they do one without as well. My horse lived out 24/7 all winter and it kept him warm and dry, and it only cost me £50.

GreyDot

Visit site
Permier Equine, but it's very heavy. Have been very pleased with my Shires, which is very reassonably priced and has withstood torrential downpours.

I'm Dun

Visit site
I use rambos usually but did buy a cheap second hand gallop for the youngster and was really impressed!

TPO

Visit site
Another vote for the gallop xtra-I was dubious but am impressed with mine.

A third vote for gallop xtra trojan 100gm. Fits really well and no leaks.

Same that I was dubious of gallop rugs. My mum had a couple and they were awful fitting and letnwater in due to the bad fit. I think it was @Tiddlypom that recommended them a lot on here? So took the plunge and bought the 200gm with removable neck and 100gm standard neck. They have been brilliant. Used the 200gm through winter and 100gm through spring with zero leaks.

Having said that I've also had/got amigo, shires & weatherbeeta 100gm and they've never leaked either

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I also have a couple of Shires Highlanders as they fit big shouldered ponies well-but they are only a 600D and sometimes, for Scottish weather, only a 1200D will do. They’ve not leaked but aren’t brilliantly breathable (0g fill). I don’t really rug much tbh, never did get around to anything other than a bib clip this winter but I’d buy more gallop rugs if I did.

Last edited:
Reactions: TPO

Redders

Visit site
My 100g gallop Trojan xtra I bought as a punt at £50 as it was 1200D and I couldnt afford Rambo! Liked it so much I bought the No full version (which I is usually avoid as never actually waterproof) and it never leaks. Great rugs imo.

maya2008

Visit site
I haven’t ever had a lightweight (100g or no fill) rug leak - so long as they stay on the horse and dry on the horse, the inside stays dry. I don’t wash them though - other than with a hose and plain water. I buy mostly Horseware, but have also bought whatever random brand the tack shop is selling at the time if in an emergency. Mostly, my lightweight rugs last a year or so before they end up being ripped too badly and need replacing.

Last edited:

Horseysheepy

Visit site
As others have said, I've never known a 100g to leak. Only sometimes the rain with run down the shoulders soaking that area, but thats not to do with the waterproofing, just one of those things and for heavy persistent rain, I often use combos for that reason.

I use Amigo Bravo, Derby House, Shires as these brands fit my different builds of horse.

teddy_

Visit site
Rambo and Rhino are my go-to, but if you want to spend less, I have a Shires Typhoon 0g and 100g and neither have leaked in absolute deluges.

Hipo

Visit site
I’ve got a shires highlander 100g and a weatherbeeta 50g, neither leak .
My pony wore the 100g for the majority of the winter .

JBM

Visit site
My 50g weatherbeeta holds up really well in rain and if it doesn’t..3 year warranty got you covered. White was a horrible choice for a roller so more black/green now but it works!

Attachments

• 1D862574-121F-4BB9-B028-43E620F688FA.jpeg
    1D862574-121F-4BB9-B028-43E620F688FA.jpeg
    499.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 3463D5A0-284B-493F-8C11-BABED1E1DB1F.jpeg
    3463D5A0-284B-493F-8C11-BABED1E1DB1F.jpeg
    455 KB · Views: 1

jnb

Visit site
Love my weatherbeeta 100gs, I have two, the Comfitec Dynamic Plus and and the Comfitec Dynamic Plus II with detachable neck - both have memory foam wither pads/1200D outer. Never leak.