10yr ex-racehorse needs 6+ months to recover....am i crazy

dan5522

Visit site
On monday I will hopefully take delivery of my first horse! He is a 16.1 bay ex-racehorse. Today he has had his tendons scanned and the news was not good, at least 6 months rest in the field! His owners were going to have him shot tomorrow to save any more expense. I couldn't let this beautiful kind hearted animal be destroyed in this way! I tried to find him a home with no success as I needed a home by tomorrow, therefore I have taken him on myself. Having never owned a horse but worked in racing for a while i thought what harm can it do and he deserves a chance.... am I crazy? I think really this is just a post asking for support but don't we all need that sometimes :D

Thanks for reading and well done if you got this far!

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
You are mad but good for you for giving him a chance. Long as he's sound and well in himself you'll give him the chance to recover and see if he'll rehabilitate. If not, you've lost his keep during the period and then the cost of pts if you can't get him right.

I wish you luck.

Laura_Grey

Visit site
Horses go on to race again after tendon injuries, so there hope that he should recover fully enough to be a pleasure horse. Just make sure that the tendons are fully healed before you start work again, as if incompletely mended it doesn't take much to break them down again.

kirstyl

Visit site
Good luck, really hope he comes sound for you. I have an ex racer with various issues but wouldn't swap him - love TBs!

aimsymc

Visit site
Best of luck with this one! If it works out they realy are the best wee horses in the world! i had my ex racer for 11 years! recently had to have her pts. They are the kindest, smartest, cleverest horses around and ifyou get them onside will do anything for you! hope it works out! xx

bumblelion

Visit site
Wow! Good on u! My exracer had a tendon injury, was blistered etc. He's ok now though so long as we're careful on hard ground etc! Good luck

Holly Hocks

Visit site
Not mad at all. The fact that you've said he can go in a field will be far easier than on box rest anyway. My elderly TB knackered his tendons on both front legs at the age of 10. They are seriously bowed - really really bad. But he is now 21 and the tendons have never given him any problems whatsoever. Good luck and keep us updated.

Visit site
Your are completely bonkers! In a good way! I have just agreed to take on a horse that has done his tendons for the second time and he only did it on Wednesday so he has at least 6 months of box rest ahread of him before 6 months turnout lol!

I wish you the very best with him!

Circe

Visit site
If you're mad then so am i !
I did exactly what you are doing. Bought my horse because he was lame and being sold for meat.
He had 6 months off before i attempted anything with him. He had a few soundness issues, so it ended up being more than a year before i could really work him, but i wouldnt change a minute of it.
In fact i think the time off to relax was good for his mental health as much as anything.
Good luck with your newbie, keep us informed.
Kx

dan5522

Visit site
photo.php

hannahmurphy

Visit site
No you're not crazy!
The six months turned away with fly by and actually it will do him the world of good not just in the tendon department.

Good luck :)