110 days

lhillman

New User
Visit site
are blood test results reliable after 110 days of pregnancy? i was always led to believe that after 110 days, you could not use blood tests to see if a mare is in foal. help me!
confused.gif

AndyPandy

Visit site
It depends on what the blood test is for...

Tests for equine chorionic gonadotrophinn (eCG, previously known as pregnant mare serum gonadotrophin - PMSG) should be done between 40 and 90 days.

Tests for estrone sulphate (which can be tested for using the "FoalProof" kit), should be done from 60-90 days up until 2 weeks before term.

lhillman

New User
Visit site
thank you for your post.
when the vet did the scan, he was positive she was pregnant. he found plenty of fluid in the uterus. he found the right ovary and right horn. he could not find the left ovary/horn and said that he could not reach far enough to touch the foal as it was being carried low/deep. this was because she was in her third trimester. He was as surprised as i to find the blood tests come back negative. i have heard that blood tests are known for giving back false readings in this scenario. do you think i should get a second opinion or just wait. she is estimated to be in her tenth month. she is on good grass, good hay and she has all the nutrients she needs to care for foal (just in case).

AndyPandy

Visit site
If the blood test was for estrone sulphate, then she could have been missed as estrogen levels begin to fall towards the last part of pregnancy. "Plenty of fluid" could be amniotic fluid, but it's impossible to say from here, and I'd probably still get a second opinion.