13h cob, rider height/weight

MiniMilton

Visit site
I have lost all concept of height so I need some advice please. If I had a 13h chunky cob what age kids would this suit (for average sized kids) I want a one size fits all type pony to save the heartbreak of selling on. I have mini's and 15h plus but nothing inbetween.

The cob I'm looking at is built like a tank so would it be acceptable for 5ft6 10st adult to ride it for breaking in and bringing on? Short schooling sessions only.

I have been looking 3 months now for ridden chunky cobs but the prices are just mental. The seller thinks she will finish off 13.2 but I find sellers usually over estimate height so I'm guessing 13h.

Photos would be a bonus to help me visualise!

paddi22

Visit site
this is one off the rescue cobs. id say she's 13.1 and first pic is of a girl thats about 5 ft 5 on it. second pic is me on it, I'm 5'6 and was prob 10.5 stone at the time and I rode it and hunter trialled it when it was being bold and rearing on the kids. I felt manageable on it, but I wouldn't have had it as a full time ride. but for schooling etc I felt fine

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-07-24 at 22.44.18.png
    Screenshot 2020-07-24 at 22.44.18.png
    631.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot 2020-07-24 at 22.45.20.png
    Screenshot 2020-07-24 at 22.45.20.png
    771 KB · Views: 21

MiniMilton

Visit site
this is one off the rescue cobs. id say she's 13.1 and first pic is of a girl thats about 5 ft 5 on it. second pic is me on it, I'm 5'6 and was prob 10.5 stone at the time and I rode it and hunter trialled it when it was being bold and rearing on the kids. I felt manageable on it, but I wouldn't have had it as a full time ride. but for schooling etc I felt fine
This is brilliant thank you. Just what I was looking for. What age are your kids that ride that one?

paddi22

Visit site
she would have been 13 at the time.. she could technically still ride her but she started feeling big on her. the last few years she also had an issue that If she had leaned forward going into jumps the pony would find it more difficult to take off, but that's being super picky on technique etc, they were still flying around 90s courses.

boats

Visit site
not sure what the story is in england but most charities (at least in ireland) are full to the gills with 13.2 style cobs mini cobs. most are unbroken (but would have had people jump on their back at some stage in their past). they are usually fairly straightforward to break and turn into great little things.

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
A fit 6+ year old 13hh cob should carry 10 stone no prob. But I personally wouldn't want more than about 9 stone including tack on a youngster that size. I'm 9 stone and I occasionally do some gentle hacking on a 13hh Welsh cross- she seems to carry me ok but she's very unfit and I have to hop off on the steeper hills! But at the same time, she's a tank and much too strong for my 8yo, despite being the perfect height. So a chunky 13hh cob isn't necessarily a better ridden option than a slightly finer 14 hander. Although with a shorter pony I guess kids are able to do tack etc by themselves a bit younger (but a competent kid can do a surprising amount with a taller pony and a muck bucket!)

MiniMilton

Visit site
not sure what the story is in england but most charities (at least in ireland) are full to the gills with 13.2 style cobs mini cobs. most are unbroken (but would have had people jump on their back at some stage in their past). they are usually fairly straightforward to break and turn into great little things.

I'm in Ireland and I've kind of given up on charities. Any 13h plus seems to be already reserved or heading to Germany by the truckload. Plus the last pony I adopted the charity failed to mention the pony has pretty severe COPD, ringbone and arthritis. I'll hang onto him out of sympathy for him, but he serves no useful purpose other than cuddles!

If I buy a cob at least I'd actually own him. I'm not massively keen on putting years of time and money into a pony that I don't actually own, then I'd have no option to sell him if I needed to in the future. If I had to size up, selling one would fund another but if I'm just handing a pony back to the charity then that isn't an option. You'd be essentially just be giving away a (hopefully) perfectly schooled pony.

MiniMilton

Visit site
A fit 6+ year old 13hh cob should carry 10 stone no prob. But I personally wouldn't want more than about 9 stone including tack on a youngster that size. I'm 9 stone and I occasionally do some gentle hacking on a 13hh Welsh cross- she seems to carry me ok but she's very unfit and I have to hop off on the steeper hills! But at the same time, she's a tank and much too strong for my 8yo, despite being the perfect height. So a chunky 13hh cob isn't necessarily a better ridden option than a slightly finer 14 hander. Although with a shorter pony I guess kids are able to do tack etc by themselves a bit younger (but a competent kid can do a surprising amount with a taller pony and a muck bucket!)

Yes 10st on a 13h breaker is probably pushing it. Unless I made a really good weighted dummy rider and just long lined everywhere with it on just to put the mileage in. Then maybe I'd magically be 9st too with all the exercise!