17.5" saddle or 17" help needed

Mickeymoo

Visit site
I know the difference is obvious, but I have a 17.5" saddle at the moment, and have been after a new one. I can only find 17" though in the style and make I want.

I am 5'6" tall. Do any of you this height or more ride on 17" saddles or do you think its too small?

noodle_

Visit site
im 5'7 and would always go for 17.5

i just got my new one today and it looks ded small compared to my dressage one....

what isit your after?

meardsall_millie

Visit site
I'm just in the process of buying a 17" saddle for my mare. She's incredibly short backed and can't cope with a 17.5".

I'm 5'5" but with longish legs and it is going to be a little bit too small for me - I won't be able to have my stirrups as short as usual for jumping, however it's the compromise I have to make to make sure the saddle fits the horse.

There is quite a difference between a 17" and a 17.5" so I'd recommend going with what you normally have unless you really have to change for a particular reason.

(PS I'll have a nice 17.5" Albion K2 jump for sale soon as a result of all this if you're interested..... ;))

Mickeymoo

Visit site
Im after a barnsby as my OH's is so comfortable and it has more knee roll than mine.

Im actually 5'6 and 3/4, so no, a 17" would probably be too small.

Thanks. :)

Mickeymoo

Visit site
Have even more incentive to ebay my unused items now. I'm on a money collecting mission, so pm me when you have new saddle sorted and I will see what position I'm in.

thanks x

Louby

Visit site
Ready to go and hide :eek::eek::eek::eek:
The seat size is nothing to do with your height, your bum and length of horses back determines that. The flaps of the saddle can be made shorter or longer to accomodate tall or shorter riders. If you can comfortably in a 17 inch then thats fine and wont affect your horse in any way.
My horses last rib finishes short and he cannot take a saddle longer than 17ins. I have struggled for years (8 and counting down, new saddle tomorow :D:D) in a 17 in and finally got the saddler out as I was getting 'rubbed bits :eek:'. Things have moved on a lot and Im getting my new 17.5 in with sweeping pannels to hopefully accomodate both of us. Its had to be made to measure but if you can go smaller without feeling rubbed :eek: or squished then I cant see there being a problem

meardsall_millie

Visit site
The flaps of the saddle can be made shorter or longer to accomodate tall or shorter riders.

Its had to be made to measure

I quite agree with you but these are the key phrases - MM and I were referring to standard 'off the shelf' saddles - unfortunately, as much as I would love to have my saddles made to measure, having 2 very differently shaped horses who event, that would mean 4 saddles and I just don't have that kind of money!! :p

Kenzo

Visit site
I'm 5'6 and to be fair, I prefer a 17'' to a 17.5.

A saddle that is too spacious in the seat doesn't do your position any favours.

Also you have to remember a 17'' in one make can differ very slightly from another, so I don't think there is any hard or fast rule about it, you are best of just trying them both and seeing which feels best.

If you have a larger bottom, obviously go for a 17.5, but just because you are tall, doesn't mean you have to go with a 17.5'' saddle, if either fits your horse.

alwaysbroke

Visit site
I always struggled slightly in the girls 17 inch Barnsby that was on Sugs, but am very happy now that we all fit 17.5 inch saddles. D_K's 18 inch is a little to big for me, not so stable in it. Good luck finding one:)

Carefreegirl

Visit site
My Albion jump saddle is 17" as the underside is longer than most makes. I did have one made to measure with shorter panels but our darling travelling friends stole it ! I bought a 17" instead of waiting another 3 months for Albion to make another. I'm 5' 8 with long thighs so have trouble finding saddles that my knees don't hang over the front. My stressage saddle is a 17.5 seat but as the underneath is shorter than the Albions it's fine.

KatB

Visit site
I've ridden a lot in both 17" and 17.5" saddles without too much of an issue in either. A lot of the more forward cut saddles suit me in 17" as I only have short thighs :eek: Depends on the make too, as flatter saddles will be fine in a smaller size, whereas deeper saddles will make you feel more restricted :) I am 5'6/5'7 ish with a 32" inside leg, but most of that is calf height!! I also have a "flat" backside, even though I am far from skinny!!

jumptoit

Visit site
I have a 17 inch on all mine (14HH - 16HH 2) and have never had a problem, I'm about 5ft 7, riding the 13HH in a 16 inch saddle though that is tricky!

But does anyone know if a flat seat 17 inch with a lower cantle is the same as a deeper seated 17 inch? As I would have thought by Pythagoras that the flat seat would be bigger length wise but I'm not sure if that's correct.

royal

Visit site
I'm just shy of 5'8 and have to have a 17.5"....But your overall height may not actually make a difference....

A saddle has to fit you and the horse and the seat size makes a difference where your hip to knee length is....with a 17", my thigh hangs off the back of the flap (and you know me MM...you know I haven't exactly got thunder thighs!! :D)

JustMe22

Visit site
Hmm I am 5'8. My GP is (was, I just sold it because it doesn't fit the horse) is a 17inch. Dressage saddle is a 17.5inch, but I'm switching to one which fits the horse better, and it's a 17inch...I ride lots of horses though, in their saddles, which vary from 15.5inch to 17.5, so I'm not bothered by the saddle really :p

Having said that, I tried a jumping saddle in 17.5inch and the saddle fitter advised me that I should get an 18inch as my hip to knee measurement is long, and with short stirrups my knees go past the flap..do they manufacture in 18inch? No.

She did say though, that you can use smaller saddles for dressage as your legs are longer and 'straighter'.

Mickeymoo

Visit site
I have a lot of leg length from hip to knee and I do have a small backside, so I really think its a case of trying a few different options.

You have all definately given me a lot of pointers. The main thing is its comfortable for the horse, and I would just like a bit more knee roll than I currently have.

Think the best thing for me to do is keep Mick on his weight loss/fitness programme, then in a couple of months get a saddler out.

CrazyMare

Visit site
I have a 17" Barnsby - I feel swamped in OH's 18" Stubben - I look like a pea.

I am 5ft7, 9st, size 8 with 34" legs. In effect, a wobbly beanpole, but I fold up well as I am happy schooling dinky ponies in 14" show saddles!

I think you need to try lots of saddles - I know a girl much much shorter than me, who is probably only a tiny bit bigger in build who has 18" saddles, with big blocks and feels secure, whereas I have smaller seats & very few blocks.

ThePony

Visit site
Some saddles are better at fitting more of you on a smaller saddle!

Oh is 6'1'' and long hip to knee measurement, but his mare is quite compact so can't take more than a 17" saddle, he needed a jump saddle so it has been a real pain to get something! His mare also has a pretty flat back with round barrel and v large moving shoulders so it was a bit of a task! He now has a cc ideal jump saddle in 17'' and it is fantastic - he can pull his stirrups right up for jumping without his knee sitting on top of the knee rolls (which is what he had to put up with before!) and it suits his mare very well too.

Worth trying a few different brands as (like clothes for us!) they have different fits which suit different riders and horses. Each brand often using a few diff trees too - have a chat to a good saddler and they should be able to suggest what saddles might give you more space without needing to go up a size on your horse.

If there is a particular saddle you like and you can only get it in a 17" then I think it's def worth a try to see if it fits you both. (fwiw I'm 5'8'' with a long hip - knee and I am also in a 17" fairfax gp, though ideal go and heritage vsd in 17" were both far too small and resulted in v uncomfortable (ahem) 'rubbing'!).

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
I am 5'4" and ride in a 17.5" saddle. I have very long thigh to knees and ride very short so need something that is long enough for me to sit in!! I had to have a 17" for my old TB because he was so short coupled but I tried to ride in that yesterday and hated it. Far prefer having more room to stretch!!