17yo mare losing condition

talie2rose

Visit site
my mare has just started dropping condition for the first time in 6 years. teeth have just been checked and worm counted last week.

Shes always been a good doer and Ive had to be careful on what to feed in the past as she can get a bit hot. Shes currently fed on simple systems timothy chop and a handful of lucie nuts with top spec "all in one" balancer with turmeric and linseed oil. shes been on top form with behaviour and seems so happy (has been known to be very marish in the past) but im worried for this sudden drop in condition?

Shes only ridden twice a week, turned out 24/7 and brought in when weathers bad. Grazed on a track system so not overly restricted.

could i suppliment with anything else?

she does not appear to be unwell, i personally think she is the happiest ive known her. any help or advise is welcomed.

thanks

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
If she has started dropping condition but you are sure she is healthy, all you can do is feed her more. But I would stick to fibre-based feeds, do SS do grassnuts? We feed grassnuts, grasschaff and Speedibeet if necessary.
Could it be the weather that is casuing her to lose condition? Our 4 have all been wearing rugs over the last few weeks when it has rained becasue when they still have their summer coats, they feel the cold very easily when it is wet.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I had a mare that I owned from an 8 year old she was a good doer until she got to about 16, after that and if she was still out at night around this time of year she would drop weight quite quickly, I just rugged her at night and just upped her feed and she would be okay until October when they then would come in at night anyway, they can drop weight with cushings and don't always have the typical symptoms that come with it might be worth testing her.

spacie1977

Visit site
Worm counts are all well and good but they are very limited to the type of worms being checked for. It would be a good idea to worm for tape worm and encysted red worm just in case, as these are incredibly dangerous and don't show up in worm egg counts. It's the time of the year you need to worm for these two types anyway so it could be a good idea to pick up some Equest Pramox or Strongid-P (the Strongid P needs to be given at double dose for tapeworm). I mention this as my horse had recently suddenly dropped a lot of weight. He turned into a bag of bones over just 2-3 weeks and I was worried he wasn't being given enough to eat at his yard, and was full of worms (the YO's paddock 'management' is far from what I would chose). I had the vet out to blood test for various conditions including liver problems and tapeworm, and as suspected, it turns out the poor pony was riddled with tape so despite me shoveling more expensive feed into him, it was just feeding the worms :-(

9tails

Visit site
You may think there's plenty of grass on your track system, but our jewel green lush looking field is housing some very hungry horses who are scoffing lots of hay.

Nik90

Visit site
When my gelding turned 16 he stared to loose weight incredibly easily over winter. I done all the checks with a vet, Cushing's, teeth etc, & it was just age. He starts to get more feed (high fibre cubes & extra micronized linseed) in September and gets an annual health check for the older horse in the autumn to keep on top of changes before the bad weather sets in. I've just started feeding him hay as well this week & come the end of October he gets Speedibeet, grassnuts & Veteran Vitality on top of as much hay as he will eat. I just the extra feed and ensure he's well rugged, but bringing him in at night where he gets a break from the weather & peace to eat at his leisure also helped.

southerncomfort

Visit site
Definately test for cushings if you haven't already but other than that, Rowan Barberry Solution Mash has been the only feed that has kept the weight on my poor doer. Would highly recommend their feeds.

My other (slightly less) poor doer usually has Veteran Vitality throughout Winter and does very well on it.